Trying to bring grandmother to the US

cafeconleche

Registered Users (C)
My grandfather passed away a month ago, and my mother, who recently became a USC, feels she would like to bring her mother here to the US to live with her. Can she apply for that? How long does it take these days? I assume it would require an I130 application?

My grandmother is also disabled. Will that be a barrier to her coming to the US? Is she eligible for Medicare? She would be living in California.

Thanks.

Yes she can apply a I-130 for her and it will take 6 to 12 months for the whole process.
No, disability will have no bearing on her Immigrant visa application process.
No, she will not be able to get medicare.

Well, she has mobility issues. She'll need a wheelchair. And as far as medicare is concerned, I guess she'll have to be resident here for 5 years? And since she's never paid taxes here, she'd have to pay monthly to be enrolled, right? Is there anything else for which she'd be eligible? She has no income and very little money, so my mom will have to support her.

Just having a mobility issue is not a issue at all. And she could not possibly become a public charge, obviously somebody will provide AOS for her. I don't know what the heck Therealcanadian is talking about, maybe being a real Canadian he is referring to Canadian Immigration.

Your mother would be expected to support your grandmother for the required time before she qualified for any benefits. Your mother would need to provide health insurance from some source; some states have a high risk pool for uninsurable individuals who are LPRs and USCs. Some states have other programs. In my state, some insurance plans for the elderly have premiums nearing $4,000 per month. Be sure you can afford it before rather than after filing.

If your family wishes your grandmother to move, you should expect to provide for her and not dump her on the US taxpayers. She would have a miserable life trying to exist on the minimal government benefits that she might qualify for in the future. Remember that household income is used for many programs and your parents income would be included if she lived with them. If she lived on her own, she would be stuck in low income housing which in my area is not safe or healthy.

So, if you cannot afford to support her here, send her the money to remain in her home.

Oh, some disabilities could result in denial if it is expected that your grandmother would become a burden to the taxpayers.

Just having a mobility issue is not a issue at all. And she could not possibly become a public charge, obviously somebody will provide AOS for her.

An Affidavit of Support is not an absolute guarantee of overcoming inadmissibility on public charge grounds, especially for medical issues.

My grandmother would live with my mom, definitely. It's just that my mom also does not have a high income. So, I guess we'll have to find an insurance plan for her. Thanks for the information. The main reason we're trying to bring her here is that my uncle is tired of taking care of her. Long story. Nursing homes are another option, so for now a good home is what I will suggest she look for.

If you expect that she would need nursing home care, she should not come to the US. From personal experience over 5 years ago, the costs in a private room ranged from $7,000 to $12,000 once all medications and supplies were considered. They likely have increased. Low cost homes are awful!

In addition, she would likely be uncomfortable in an environment very different from her home. Perhaps uncle would be more inclined to continue to assist her if you could send some money to help with her support.

My grandmother would live with my mom, definitely. It's just that my mom also does not have a high income.

If she doesn't have high income or a large amount of wealth, it is a recipe for disaster to bring your disabled grandmother here. Insurance for her will either be very expensive (thousands per month) or unavailable. How on earth will she afford medical care in the US, which has by far the highest medical costs in the world?

In addition, she would likely be uncomfortable in an environment very different from her home. Perhaps uncle would be more inclined to continue to assist her if you could send some money to help with her support.

Or pay for a part-time nurse in the home country to assist the uncle.

Very good suggestion, Jack!

It is also not a good idea for someone who has experienced a life changing event like the death of a spouse to make great changes soon afterwards. It has been shown to be very detrimental to the survivor's health. Given that her health is fragile, additional stresses and the removal of her from familiar surroundings and friends is not what she needs or likely wants at this time. Since there are other alternatives, go slowly even if it is determined that it is feasible financially for her to move.