1. The forums will be down July 21 weekend due to server being moved by our host. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks.
    Dismiss Notice

Trump attacks Diversity Visa program

Discussion in 'Lottery Visas - DV' started by rafi-cairo, Nov 1, 2017.

1. EURO2014

EURO2014 Well-Known Member

O.K, this is what the "Group of 6" proposal had included in terms of the DV program: an overhaul of the diversity visa program to address those who have had their Temporary Protected Status removed, and those selected on merit from low immigration countries. Now that even this proposal has been roundly rejected as being too "liberal" (including but not only due to DV related proposal), possible areas of agreement in support of DACA and detrimental for DV in its current form or shape are still very much up in the air.

2. abumiqdad

abumiqdad Member

liberal in what sense?

What would a "conservative" proposal looks like?

3. EURO2014

4. Pierre82

Pierre82 Well-Known Member

The liberal proposal is suggesting to keep the DV Lottery and upgrade the requirements, in order to turn it more into a merit base. Lets hope that in that middle point the DV lottery can keep alive but chances are low.

5. Britsimon

Britsimon Super Moderator

Trump's latest racist comments will galvanize support against him getting his way in the short term. Everyone still wants a DACA deal though - even though the courts have weakened the Trump deadline.

6. SusieQQQ

SusieQQQ Well-Known Member

Quite honestly I don’t think anyone is suggesting keeping the DV lottery.

7. Pierre82

Killing the DV lottery will be part of any DACA deal and I doubt it will survive these negotiations. No doubt at all.

8. Pierre82

Its going to be interesting to see how things will go after these comments. I was amaze when i saw the news related to these comments.

9. Did the "Group of 6" proposed to change the DV program to some sort of merit based DV lottery? Not sure if I understood that proposal well. Do you have a link with more info on that? It would be great if DV program survives somehow.

10. Mushy_hot

Mushy_hot Registered Users (C)

I heard they wanted DV lottery to be half and some improvements in chain migration. Don't know the details though

11. EURO2014

Here the web link to the respective news article:
    http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/12/politics/daca-shutdown-state-of-play/index.html

"What was in the Group of 6 proposal?
    Per two sources with direct knowledge:
    • $1.6 billion toward a border fence, with another $1.1 bill in border security money for technology/resources/manpower
    • A 10- or 12-year pathway to citizenship for DREAMers, the length depending on whether they'd applied for protections already or not.
    • Parents of DACA recipients would not be eligible for citizenship, but could receive protected status in three-year increments
    • An overhaul of the diversity visa program to address those who have had their Temporary Protected Status removed, and those selected on merit from low immigration countries."
    No additional specifics on "DV overhaul", yet even this one liner speaks for itself. Of course this half baked proposal will go nowhere.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  12. SusieQQQ

So to get taxpayers rather than Mexico funding the wall, um, fence, Trump would need to compromise on stuff he said he’d never do? No wonder Ann Coulter is spitting mad. This is actually pretty amusing (unless you’re an immigration hardliner of course)

13. Britsimon

Britsimon Super Moderator

That's the trouble with spouting a bunch of hateful rhetoric during the campaign. You can get elected, because there are enough people foolish enough to agree with the soundbite, race baiting approach. BUT, actually making changes forces conversation with smarter people, far fewer of whom will allow the racism drive our immigration policy. So now Trump and the R's are faced with upsetting the base, or doing something sensible/reasonable.

14. EURO2014

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  15. SusieQQQ

Yup. Seems a lot of people have been getting rude shocks discovering that a constitutional democracy means you can’t just dictate stuff and have it happen.

16. SusieQQQ

I think there’s widespread bipartisan support for a better immigration policy for the US. What there isn’t support for, is a hateful, race-batiting approach. Remember Mexico sending all its racists? That we as DV winners are the worst of the worst, picked from a bin? It’s not just one debatable comment.

17. Pierre82

No doubt its very complex and there is people supporting the president hard line on immigration I always imagine that he was going to focus first on infrastructure, since its a more negotiable topic, compared to immigration but I was wrong. I'm sure that millions will be anxious to see the end result of this by next week.

18. SusieQQQ

Nope, he was going to start building the wall on day 1.

19. EURO2014

:)

20. Pierre82

The great wall and Mexico was going to pay for it as well lol