• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump attacks Diversity Visa program

Pretty interesting televised meeting just took place at the WH! I have to say - this is one benefit of having a POTUS that likes to be on camera. We got to watch a real negotiation, and that in itself is worth commending.

So what was discussed?
On the one hand, everyone agrees that there needs to be a solution for DACA. That in itself is controversial since it represents an "amnesty" for a certain (large) group of people. In the past that has been a step to far for many on the right - and will be not well understood by many of Trump's base.
DACA is a sweetener, and on the other side there is the following:
1. Border control. Trump et al want a physical wall. Others further to the left don't want a physical wall, but would rather spend the budget on smarter enforcement of the borders, including changing laws to be able to eject people who enter illegally.
2. Chain migration. There is a push to reduce the scope of family based sponsorship. Lots of people will have problems with that.
3. Ending DV. This is an easier point to give in on. There aren't many speaking out about DV.

Politics typically means give and take. Daca is going to have a price. So - some aspects of 1 and 2 will be on the table, but hard to agree. Number 3 is easier to agree.

So - if you were a betting person a smart bet would be a deal on DACA over the next few weeks, with a "price" paid by DV and some "commitment" to talk about 1 and 2 and more aspects on immigration reform (more push toward merit based etc).

However, just for the record - let me say again, NONE OF THIS AFFECTS DV2018.

Trump’s bargaining chip just got weakened, at least for a while, with the latest ruling on DACA.

It is kinda sad to see something unique like DV will end... no other country has this kind of visa available for others to "apply".

It is kinda sad to see something unique like DV will end... no other country has this kind of visa available for others to "apply".

There is a lot going on in terms of immigration at this moment and not only DACA but several people from EL Salvador that got their TPS cancelled recently. I don't think they are in the table of negotiation but there is no doubt that DV will be sacrificed in order to help people that is currently under DACA.

"but there is no doubt that DV will be sacrificed in order to help people that is currently under DACA"

I wish someone doubts this. I'm still hopeful that miracle will happen

"but there is no doubt that DV will be sacrificed in order to help people that is currently under DACA"

I wish someone doubts this. I'm still hopeful that miracle will happen

I'm not putting any high hopes on DV2019, but lets wait and see what happens.

Does this bill also have to pass through sanate?

Yes. The reason of that meeting was to create a bridge between republicans and democrats, in order to develop a bill that will help DACA beneficiaries and at the same time obtain budget for the border wall. DV Lottery does not stand a chance on these negotiations.

Yes. The reason of that meeting was to create a bridge between republicans and democrats, in order to develop a bill that will help DACA beneficiaries and at the same time obtain budget for the border wall. DV Lottery does not stand a chance on these negotiations.

When are they going to announce it?

Is the percentage on those correct on the Prognosis part of that ? They all have low percentage according to those

The conservatives do not seem to be pleased with this DACA business, here is a video clip from Fox featuring Ann Coulter: