• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump attacks Diversity Visa program

O.K, this is what the "Group of 6" proposal had included in terms of the DV program: an overhaul of the diversity visa program to address those who have had their Temporary Protected Status removed, and those selected on merit from low immigration countries. Now that even this proposal has been roundly rejected as being too "liberal" (including but not only due to DV related proposal), possible areas of agreement in support of DACA and detrimental for DV in its current form or shape are still very much up in the air.

O.K, this is what the "Group of 6" proposal had included in terms of the DV program: an overhaul of the diversity visa program to address those who have had their Temporary Protected Status removed, and those selected on merit from low immigration countries. Now that even this proposal has been roundly rejected as being too "liberal" (including but not only due to DV related proposal), possible areas of agreement in support of DACA and detrimental for DV in its current form or shape are still very much up in the air.

liberal in what sense?

What would a "conservative" proposal looks like?

liberal in what sense?

What would a "conservative" proposal looks like?

The liberal proposal is suggesting to keep the DV Lottery and upgrade the requirements, in order to turn it more into a merit base. Lets hope that in that middle point the DV lottery can keep alive but chances are low.

Trump's latest racist comments will galvanize support against him getting his way in the short term. Everyone still wants a DACA deal though - even though the courts have weakened the Trump deadline.

The liberal proposal is suggesting to keep the DV Lottery and upgrade the requirements, in order to turn it more into a merit base. Lets hope that in that middle point the DV lottery can keep alive but chances are low.

Quite honestly I don’t think anyone is suggesting keeping the DV lottery.

Trump's latest racist comments will galvanize support against him getting his way in the short term. Everyone still wants a DACA deal though - even though the courts have weakened the Trump deadline.

Its going to be interesting to see how things will go after these comments. I was amaze when i saw the news related to these comments.

Did the "Group of 6" proposed to change the DV program to some sort of merit based DV lottery? Not sure if I understood that proposal well. Do you have a link with more info on that? It would be great if DV program survives somehow.

Did the "Group of 6" proposed to change the DV program to some sort of merit based DV lottery? Not sure if I understood that proposal well. Do you have a link with more info on that? It would be great if DV program survives somehow.
Here the web link to the respective news article:
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/12/politics/daca-shutdown-state-of-play/index.html

"What was in the Group of 6 proposal?
Per two sources with direct knowledge:
  • $1.6 billion toward a border fence, with another $1.1 bill in border security money for technology/resources/manpower
  • A 10- or 12-year pathway to citizenship for DREAMers, the length depending on whether they'd applied for protections already or not.
  • Parents of DACA recipients would not be eligible for citizenship, but could receive protected status in three-year increments
  • An overhaul of the diversity visa program to address those who have had their Temporary Protected Status removed, and those selected on merit from low immigration countries."
No additional specifics on "DV overhaul", yet even this one liner speaks for itself. Of course this half baked proposal will go nowhere.

Last edited:
So to get taxpayers rather than Mexico funding the wall, um, fence, Trump would need to compromise on stuff he said he’d never do? No wonder Ann Coulter is spitting mad. This is actually pretty amusing (unless you’re an immigration hardliner of course)

That's the trouble with spouting a bunch of hateful rhetoric during the campaign. You can get elected, because there are enough people foolish enough to agree with the soundbite, race baiting approach. BUT, actually making changes forces conversation with smarter people, far fewer of whom will allow the racism drive our immigration policy. So now Trump and the R's are faced with upsetting the base, or doing something sensible/reasonable.

Last edited:
That's the trouble with spouting a bunch of hateful rhetoric during the campaign. You can get elected, because there are enough people foolish enough to agree with the soundbite, race baiting approach. BUT, actually making changes forces conversation with smarter people, far fewer of whom will allow the racism drive our immigration policy. So now Trump and the R's are faced with upsetting the base, or doing something sensible/reasonable.

Yup. Seems a lot of people have been getting rude shocks discovering that a constitutional democracy means you can’t just dictate stuff and have it happen.

Just to point out the complexity on this matter - here you have the opposing view point:
http://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...rong-with-trumps-desire-for-better-immigrants

I think there’s widespread bipartisan support for a better immigration policy for the US. What there isn’t support for, is a hateful, race-batiting approach. Remember Mexico sending all its racists? That we as DV winners are the worst of the worst, picked from a bin? It’s not just one debatable comment.

No doubt its very complex and there is people supporting the president hard line on immigration I always imagine that he was going to focus first on infrastructure, since its a more negotiable topic, compared to immigration but I was wrong. I'm sure that millions will be anxious to see the end result of this by next week.

No doubt its very complex and there is people supporting the president hard line on immigration I always imagine that he was going to focus first on infrastructure, since its a more negotiable topic, compared to immigration but I was wrong. I'm sure that millions will be anxious to see the end result of this by next week.

Nope, he was going to start building the wall on day 1.