• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump attacks Diversity Visa program

So guys, does that indicate that if this bill passes (which most probably won't happen as it will be blocked by the senate, if somehow it passes through the house) or any other new immigration bill in general passes, that DV 2019 selectees will be protected ?

This new effective date (OCT 2019) on this "compromise" bill seems to show that they anticipating this, no ?
That’s the way I read it

That’s the way I read it

Fingers crossed :)

I want to believe the senate majority leader himself when he says he thinks his chamber is done with immigration for this year :

wsj.com/articles/mcconnell-plays-down-chances-of-new-senate-vote-on-immigration-1527187868

(Sorry can't seem to post the whole link, I am getting an error message about my message being spam-like)

So guys, does that indicate that if this bill passes (which most probably won't happen as it will be blocked by the senate, if somehow it passes through the house) or any other new immigration bill in general passes, that DV 2019 selectees will be protected ?
This new effective date (OCT 2019) on this "compromise" bill seems to show that they anticipating this, no ?[/Q

You need to look at each bill individually.

Also: "And if neither bill passes, the moderate Republicans — the ones who forced Ryan to agree to take bills up this week to begin with — will be back where they started. They’ll have to decide whether to give up or whether to take another stab at the discharge petition they circulated this spring, which would force Ryan to take up a series of bills including some that Democrats and moderate Republicans would both support — in other words, bills that could pass, if only they could get to the floor...."] - https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/6/18/17467624/immigration-bill-congress-2018

Fingers crossed :)

I want to believe the senate majority leader himself when he says he thinks his chamber is done with immigration for this year :

wsj.com/articles/mcconnell-plays-down-chances-of-new-senate-vote-on-immigration-1527187868

(Sorry can't seem to post the whole link, I am getting an error message about my message being spam-like)

This article is from May 24 - in current immigration hysteria, this is like an eternity.

TITLE II—IMMIGRANT VISA 6 ALLOCATIONS AND PRIORITIES 7 SEC. 2101. ELIMINATION OF DIVERSITY VISA PROGRAM. 8 (a) IN GENERAL.—

Section 203 of the Immigration 9 and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1153) is amended by striking subsection (c). 11 (b) TECHNICAL AND CONFORMING AMENDMENTS.— 12 The Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 et 13 seq.) is amended— 14 (1) in section 201— 15 (A) in subsection (a), by striking para16 graph (3); 17 (B) by striking subsection (e); 18 (2) in section 203— 19 (A) in subsection (b)(2)(B)(ii)(IV), by 20 striking ‘‘section 203(b)(2)(B)’’ each place such 21 term appears and inserting ‘‘clause (i)’’; 22 (B) in subsection (d), by striking ‘‘sub23 section (a), (b), or (c)’’ and inserting ‘‘sub24 section (a) or (b) 190 1 (C) in subsection (e), by striking para2 graph (2); 3 (D) in subsection (f), by striking ‘‘sub4 section (a), (b), or (c) of this section’’ and in5 serting ‘‘subsection (a) or (b)’’; 6 (E) in subsection (g), by striking ‘‘sub7 sections (a), (b), and (c)’’ and inserting ‘‘sub8 sections (a) and (b)’’; and 9 (F) in subsection (h)(2)(B), by striking 10 ‘‘subsection (a), (b), or (c)’’ and inserting ‘‘sub11 section (a) or (b)’’; and 12 (3) in section 204(a)(1), by striking subpara13 graph (I). 14 (c) EFFECTIVE DATE.—The amendments made by this section shall take effect on October 1, 2019.

This is from the compromise bill, which is the one that is much more likely to pass. It was last updated 14th of this month. Does seem to suggest they have pushed it back a year but who knows.

This is from the compromise bill, which is the one that is much more likely to pass. It was last updated 14th of this month. Does seem to suggest they have pushed it back a year but who knows.

The highlighted part along with stating that it was updated in the "compromise bill" is exactly what I already added in my comment #411 further up that we have been discussing here all along. Have you even read all the comments since?

The highlighted part along with stating that it was updated in the "compromise bill" is exactly what I already added in my comment #411 further up that we have been discussing here all along. Have you even read all the comments since?

No need to be so rude. I was just putting it all on this forum so people don't need to wade through a 200 page document for the relevant text.

Thank you Bob22. Indeed, although this has more chances to pass, I still don't think it will. Senate won't approve it eventually.

Let's see what happens next, I've been wondering, in case moderate republicans and democrats force a vote in the house using the discharge petition, which bill will get the highest votes.

vox.com/2018/4/19/17253856/daca-congress-immigration-news

In this article they mention 2 bills supported by the democrats (which I'm sure won't be signed by Trump anyway): one is called Dream act and the other one the US act. Does anyone have more info on these 2 bills and what to they say about DV lottery ?

Goodlatte bill was dead on arrival. Even 41 republicans rejected it. And compromise measure they delaying coz they fear another defeat.

so what is next in line before the new congress is elected end of the year (which from this thread, i understood it meant all pending bills will have to be scrapped and start again)