• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump attacks Diversity Visa program

I guess the best thing is to wait to file the 260 form until we see what happens with the Lottery by the end of 2018

I also wonder if those that have been selected
For the 2019 dv will get processed from October till December. I would miss out but at least some would be ok
12/31/18 (or 01/01/19) are meaningless from DV POV. It's only 10/1/18 that matters.

If DV lottery gets eliminated then I doubt there will be DV2019. But let's be positive coz my heart says DV lottery will survive.

No point worrying about it. It's totally out of our hands, if it happens it happens. Life goes on.

Please keep in mind that in Nov 2018 the 116th congress will be elected.
All pending legislation will expire and the new congress will need to start from scratch.
We’ll roll on November, I expect that we will see an increase in push for reform before then though

Alien that is very interesting, I didn’t know that.

Yeah, I hope the reforms are knocked on the head. I agree there is going to be a huge push before then. It would be nice for a chance to ‘play the lottery’ this year. My fingers are crossed. May well have missed the boat on this but only time will tell. Life will go on, the sun will still shine.

But, I don’t think his merit based idea is all that bad... for me anyway, lol. I have two bachelors in high needs areas and my Masters is almost complete. I think I have just as much chance as being approved through that as I do through the lotto. Still low, but in with a chance.

But I feel sorry for the other people, I don’t like the discriminatory nature of his proposal. We live in Western Africa. I see everyday, firsthand the tenacity of these people, if I was them, I would want the chance to get out too.

Sometimes it makes me feel guilty that I can get up and go. Even more guilty that I already live (sometimes) in a wonderful privileged country and still want the American Dream.

But then again, it is their house so to speak. I think they have every right to decide who comes in and who is not invited. But then again, I am speaking from my white, western female, highly educated, Christian background privilege standpoint bubble, that he seems to like, who has a chance to be invited even if they change the rules.

I've been following the latest news on those immigration bills. It's like a daily roller coaster.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...trump-white-house-statement-family-separation
"Yes, we fully support both the Goodlatte bill and the leadership bill. The President misunderstood the question this morning on Fox News,” an anonymous White House official told the Hill. “He was commenting on the discharge petition/dreamers bill — not the new package. He would 100 percent sign either Goodlatte or the other bill."

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-nowrasteh-immigration-bill-20180615-story.html
"...the SAF Act is still the worst immigration bill introduced in almost a century. Republican hardliners say it’s a compromise — helping out Dreamers in return for more border security. It’s not. It’s a strategy for deporting Dreamers over a longer period of time while cutting legal immigration in half, canceling the applications of those who have patiently waited for a green card, and wasting $124 billion."

I've been following the latest news on those immigration bills. It's like a daily roller coaster.

"

Pretty much why we don’t get worked up about any of it. When /if something eventually gets passed then we can stress about what’s in it...

'(c)

Effective date

The amendments made by this section shall take effect on the first day of the first fiscal year beginning on or after the date of the enactment of this Act.'

^ from the bill itself. IF it were passed this would imply dv2018 is safe

On page 190 of the new “compromise” immigration bill, the “Border Security and Immigration Reform Act.”, this has been changed to specifically mention a date:

(c) EFFECTIVE DATE.—The amendments made by this section shall take effect on October 1, 2019.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...trump-white-house-statement-family-separation
"Yes, we fully support both the Goodlatte bill and the leadership bill. The President misunderstood the question this morning on Fox News,” an anonymous White House official told the Hill. “He was commenting on the discharge petition/dreamers bill — not the new package. He would 100 percent sign either Goodlatte or the other bill."

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-nowrasteh-immigration-bill-20180615-story.html
"...the SAF Act is still the worst immigration bill introduced in almost a century. Republican hardliners say it’s a compromise — helping out Dreamers in return for more border security. It’s not. It’s a strategy for deporting Dreamers over a longer period of time while cutting legal immigration in half, canceling the applications of those who have patiently waited for a green card, and wasting $124 billion."
What about the funding for the wall, it was a deal breaker a few weeks ago?
Also, do you have a number for the bill such as HRxxxx or Sxxxx?

What about the funding for the wall, it was a deal breaker a few weeks ago?
Also, do you have a number for the bill such as HRxxxx or Sxxxx?
The Dems won’t go for it as there is no path to citizenship for the dreamers in that bill

On page 190 of the new “compromise” immigration bill, the “Border Security and Immigration Reform Act.”, this has been changed to specifically mention a date:

(c) EFFECTIVE DATE.—The amendments made by this section shall take effect on October 1, 2019.

As laws are passed, they are often adjusted at the last minute to be workable. So - the effective date on a law would often be changed to take into account lead time needed to implement the law etc.

Having said that, as Susie says, we have seen MANY suggested laws, and none of them have got anywhere. This latest one doesn't have the support needed to be passed either.

So guys, does that indicate that if this bill passes (which most probably won't happen as it will be blocked by the senate, if somehow it passes through the house) or any other new immigration bill in general passes, that DV 2019 selectees will be protected ?

This new effective date (OCT 2019) on this "compromise" bill seems to show that they anticipating this, no ?