Travelling with the green card

animmigrant

Registered Users (C)
My wife passport will be expiring in 5 months and she is traveling oversea with a green card. Do you anticipate any issues?

Thanks,
an immigrant

The real question is when's she returning to US? Recently, my wife returned to US when she had about 15 days left on her passport to expire and had no problems at all.

Check the entry regulations of the country she is visiting. Some countries want the passport to be valid for more than 6 months before admitting the visitor.

My wife passport will be expiring in 5 months and she is traveling oversea with a green card. Do you anticipate any issues?

The real question is when's she returning to US? Recently, my wife returned to US when she had about 15 days left on her passport to expire and had no problems at all.

Getting back into US with soon-to-expire Passport is never an issue. What purpose do you think the GC serves?

The REAL issue is in the country(ies) which she will be visiting. Those countries (not the US) may have issue with someone entering their country with only a short period of PP validity.

6 months passport validity

People from certain countries MUST have at least 6 month valid foreign passport to enter US.

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/six-months-passport-validity-rule-visitors.html .

I think it works only for US temporary visa holders.

My personal opinion is that for green card holder, US CBP will let him/her in even without passport, and green card itself would be enough.

There is a really serious issue for some european countries, regarding 6 months passport validity. Some of them will not allow an idividual even to leave the country if passport is valid less than 6 months.

The rule for having a passport that is valid for at least six remaining months was put in place so the US can know that people will be able to go back to their country at the end of their visit to the US.
The six-month rule does not apply to green card holders, because there is no obligation for green card holders to ever leave the US. Also, as noted in the link posted by sfmars, some countries are exempt from the six-month rule. This is because their country of citizenship will allow them to enter with an expired passport (provided that it has expired recently enough, typically within 6 months).

However, the country to which one is traveling may have a six-month rule if it is not one's country of citizenship.