Travelling with national passport and travel document

Your nationality will be your current citizenship. Even though you're a refugee or asylee, you are still a citizen of your COP. This is what I filled in when I applied for a UK visa.

I really appreciate your prompt help. BTW what is COP, is that "country of Birth"

Thanks

Stop scaring the OP. The US will not care that he/she used his/her NP with the GC. I know it sounds strange, but for some reason, IOs at POEs see no problem with it. They're also not really going to go through your RTD.

To the OP: I didn't realise you have a GC, so you're good to go. It seems like you feel safe using your Nepali passport as long as you don't go to Nepal (or, maybe you're going to Nepal through India). So, henceforth, you can essentially use your NP and GC if you don't want to apply for an RTD or RP.
So I will have no problem departing the UK with my NP even though I entered with RTD? Also, I will have no problem entering the US with NP even though I departed with RTD?

COP = country of persecution, or the country from which you have claimed asylum/you are a refugee.

The UK does not have exit controls, so if at all the airline ticketing agent asks for your authorisation go be in the UK, then you can show your RTD. Entering the US, especially as an LPR, should not be a problem. Just show them your GC and NP. You will have come back from India at that point, and it'll be listed on your customs form.

I must say, of course, that you COULD run into problems. What I'm telling you is based on my own experience traveling on an RTD/RP with and without a GC, the experience of people I know who travel on those documents and/or NPs, and experience of people on this forum. Taking them all into account, what you will be doing seems pretty simple, but as with anything, someone could be having a bad day, or could be anal or uninformed, and give you trouble. Riskier things have also been done, without problems. You're doing this at your own risk :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I was thinking the same. I suppose we are just getting scared. Unless you return to you COP, there is no need to fear.

I edited my post with a disclaimer of sorts...

Also, going to a neighbouring country to visit family is common for an asylee to do. There's nothing to worry about there, especially if you don't actually go to Nepal (since there really is no immigration control between the two countries, it would be hard to prove you went there without a search of your belongings for signs of travel to Nepal). So, if your asylum case is such that a visit to Nepal won't really put you at risk, you can essentially go if you feel that it is safe (and, you can justify it during your naturalisation interview IN CASE you want to be honest about it, or they somehow find out). It's all relative.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

I edited my post with a disclaimer of sorts...

Also, going to a neighbouring country to visit family is common for an asylee to do. There's nothing to worry about there, especially if you don't actually go to Nepal (since there really is no immigration control between the two countries, it would be hard to prove you went there without a search of your belongings for signs of travel to Nepal). So, if your asylum case is such that a visit to Nepal won't really put you at risk, you can essentially go if you feel that it is safe (and, you can justify it during your naturalisation interview IN CASE you want to be honest about it, or they somehow find out). It's all relative.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.
Well, I intend to be honest with immigration officials in the UK and also in the US. I can explain why I had to use both documents since I have visa for UK in RTD and I can't go to india using only RTD. I don't think I will have done anything wrong there.

How about just calling USCIS and ask a general question like this without giving your personal info?
Even though they don't answer properly, you can get a clue and have peace of mind while travelling.
Anytime I want some important information from USCIS, I call three times and if 2/3, I go with that suggestion.

How about just calling USCIS and ask a general question like this without giving your personal info?
Even though they don't answer properly, you can get a clue and have peace of mind while travelling.
Anytime I want some important information from USCIS, I call three times and if 2/3, I go with that suggestion.

This is a good idea because if they say you're good to go, you can honestly tell CBP and CIS that when you called them, they said you could.

And the fun fact, the agents always give their id number before they speak so be ready with pen and paper and jot that down just in case of reference if you need it. Like I said, call 3-4 times and ask the same question so that you can get a strong and common answer.
Good luck buddy!

I-94 pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase help

Hello,
I have a question guys. I have my green card since I was granted asylum, BUT when I entered USA for the first time they forgot to give me I-94 at the airport, but a month later I generated from governmental website.
Now I have my RDT, Gc, orginal I-94 and generated I-94, and am planning to travel in couple of weeks, do I need to turn in My original I-94 since I dont have I-94 from the first entry?
thanks for the help in advance.

Hello,
I have a question guys. I have my green card since I was granted asylum, BUT when I entered USA for the first time they forgot to give me I-94 at the airport, but a month later I generated from governmental website.
Now I have my RDT, Gc, orginal I-94 and generated I-94, and am planning to travel in couple of weeks, do I need to turn in My original I-94 since I dont have I-94 from the first entry?
thanks for the help in advance.

As a permanent resident you don't need I-94.

Hi Folks!
I recently returned to the US without any problem. I departed US on travel document and was admitted with my NP. All I was asked was how long had I been gone. Thanks everyone!