Travelling with national passport and travel document

USgraduate

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
I have a UK visa on my travel document. I also have a Nepalese passport. I intend to travel to UK from US and then to India. Since India did not grant me VISA on my travel document, I intend to travel to India from UK with Nepalese passport (Nepalese passport does not require Indian VISA). In other words, I leave US with my RTD. I arrive in the UK with RTD. I depart UK with my National Passport and arrive in India with my national passport. I depart India with National passport and arrive in the US with Travel document. Will I face any problem doing that? Thanks.

I think you should always enter and leave a country with the same document. However, the U.S. and the U.K. do not have exit checks, so minus those, what you described is about right.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as Indian immigration won't ask you about your onward destination and how you intend to enter it, you can do this. If they do end up asking if you have a visa for the US, and you show them the RTD, I'm not sure what the reaction would be, and whether or not they'd even know what it is.

As long as Indian immigration won't ask you about your onward destination and how you intend to enter it, you can do this. If they do end up asking if you have a visa for the US, and you show them the RTD, I'm not sure what the reaction would be, and whether or not they'd even know what it is.

I have green card that I can show to Indian Authorities.

Then why are you not using the combination of GC and national passport?

I have UK visa on RTD since my NP had expired during that time. I had hoped that India would grant me indian visa on RTD but refused without any reason. That's why, I renewed my NP just to go to India where I can meet my family.

Because US will be surprised why are you coming back from India. They know that you went to UK and you are returning from UK, which is OK, but when they see you are coming to India and they know that India doesn't accept your asylum travel document you may face questions and if officer is paranoid (and in most cases they are) you might be refused or your asylum status might be reviewed, on your place I wouldn't risk, everything may be OK, but anyway there is risk to raise questions

Also most USCIS officers know that asylum seekers often keep their spare national passports to travel to their country and they do it via third country, while India is close to Nepal, smart USCIS officer might ask you questions if he finds your ticket is INdia-USA

Stop scaring the OP. The US will not care that he/she used his/her NP with the GC. I know it sounds strange, but for some reason, IOs at POEs see no problem with it. They're also not really going to go through your RTD.

To the OP: I didn't realise you have a GC, so you're good to go. It seems like you feel safe using your Nepali passport as long as you don't go to Nepal (or, maybe you're going to Nepal through India). So, henceforth, you can essentially use your NP and GC if you don't want to apply for an RTD or RP.

Also most USCIS officers know that asylum seekers often keep their spare national passports to travel to their country and they do it via third country, while India is close to Nepal, smart USCIS officer might ask you questions if he finds your ticket is INdia-USA

A lot of people think USCIS is not strict, but a simple mistake you do can just make one regret !!! its always good to be safe as an asylum seeker -SAFETY in host country is not luxury as some think , I always wonder why do people seeking asylum want to go near COP????

UK visit with refugee travel document: PLEASE HELP URGENT

Hello guys

This is my first time posting on the forum. I am not sure if I got the right forum, if not please redirect me.

Any ways my question is I hold a refugee travel document from U.S and I also hold Green card. I also hold my passport from my country of origin. I am planning to apply for a UK family visit using my travel document. I wanted to know what should I answer for the question 1.9 regarding nationality. Do you think I should put my country of origin since I am not a US citizen yet or should I put US. The thing is I could not understand what they are looking for. This is the question:

"1.9 Nationality
This must correspond with the authority that issued your travel document/passport. If you hold dual nationality you should select the issuing country of the passport/travel document you wish to travel with. If ‘Stateless’ please enter this as your nationality and provide details of the country that issued your travel document."

I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks
yohan906

Your nationality will be your current citizenship. Even though you're a refugee or asylee, you are still a citizen of your COP. This is what I filled in when I applied for a UK visa.

Simply to see their parents DoubleAA!!
My mum got denied to have a US visa to visit me and I am her only son. she is about to get crazy :D
So she can't come to visit me, I can't go back to Egypt! even prisoners are allowed for a family visit! :(

I am from Egypt, and so the only way for me now to see it is to choose a country that is near Egypt such as Jordan and meet here there. isn't it a human rights for people to meet their family members as long as it is not in the country of asylum? are the USCIS guys getting offended when we see our families somewhere else in the world?!!!!

A lot of people think USCIS is not strict, but a simple mistake you do can just make one regret !!! its always good to be safe as an asylum seeker -SAFETY in host country is not luxury as some think , I always wonder why do people seeking asylum want to go near COP????

Simply to see their parents DoubleAA!!
My mum got denied to have a US visa to visit me and I am her only son. she is about to get crazy
So she can't come to visit me, I can't go back to Egypt! even prisoners are allowed for a family visit!

I am from Egypt, and so the only way for me now to see it is to choose a country that is near Egypt such as Jordan and meet here there. isn't it a human rights for people to meet their family members as long as it is not in the country of asylum? are the USCIS guys getting offended when we see our families somewhere else in the world?!!!!