Traveling Outside the US As Asylee applicant ,Asylee,LPR through Asylum

arsen098

Are you by any chance Georgian? :)

Do not worry about it. I was away for 2 months but they could not care less about the POE. My lawyer said that one's stay should not exceed 3 months period.

hi guys, i am a green card holder through asylum.. is it safe to visit cop for like a 1 or 2 months without any problems? i herd that now all GC holders are treated equally....

Hi everyone i have one questions , if someone can help me i would really appreciate it , i was out of the U.S for almost 4 months, when i returned back the IO officer asked me where did you get your green card from? I answered him through asylum and he began to ask me a lot more questions. I was really nervous and scared. I just want to know ,when he asked me where did i get my green card from what should be my answer? does he mean the place from where i got the green card from or he is asking me how did i got my green card from? what should be my answer i am really confused. Can you guys please give me your valuable suggestion?

If he asked you HOW you got your GC, you have to be honest and say "asylum." I doubt they asked WHERE, as in, which city. They will not always ask you this question, but when they do, you must answer truthfully. They are just doing random checks. You have nothing to worry about as long as you do not lie to them. Be truthful and consistent, and their information will always match.

U.S Asylee to Study in Canada

Hi everyone,

I recently moved from Canada - where I used to be an International student - to the States. I'm half way through my degree and I'd like to go back to Canada and finish my studies before moving permanently to US.
I know in order to travel out of the country I need to apply for a RTD. Also, Canada is NOT the country of claimed persecution. I'm simply a student there. Will travelling abroad (solely to Canada) to study jeopardize my asylee status? Or cause any complication to get a GC?

I'll appreciate if you could give me any insights into studying abroad while being an asylee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advance parole (AP)

I didn't find any answer smiler to my situation on Advance parole (AP)
I'm Asylee applicant, I did the interview and still waiting for the decision for more than 4 months.
at same time I'm International student. My F1 visa in my passport expired 3 months ago, but my I20 still valid and I'm going to school and I'm still in status as F1 student.
Now I want to travel to third Country next to COP for one month and make my family come to see my there in this third country.
* Can I go and come back on AP even if my asylum case still pending? or maybe i can't come back !!
Please help me, I'm desperate and I want to see my kids.

At airports, specially at transit connecting airports, they will ask for GC. did that on my last 2 trips

Asylum status in US.

I am making this post to seek your advise for one of my friend on his behalf.

Please guide and help.
Thanks

Traveling outside America

I think your status is still F, so you can leave and reenter usa with your I-20 by using it to reapply for a new F visa at that third country's American embassy. But i would speak with a lawyer before making such a decision of leaving.

I didn't find any answer smiler to my situation on Advance parole (AP)
I'm Asylee applicant, I did the interview and still waiting for the decision for more than 4 months.
at same time I'm International student. My F1 visa in my passport expired 3 months ago, but my I20 still valid and I'm going to school and I'm still in status as F1 student.
Now I want to travel to third Country next to COP for one month and make my family come to see my there in this third country.
* Can I go and come back on AP even if my asylum case still pending? or maybe i can't come back !!
Please help me, I'm desperate and I want to see my kids.

If you have advance parole = the us is allowing to travel and come back. But the can also question you at Point of Entry,.....(secondary inspection I mean)
But I would recommand you wait.
-Do not listen to Heemo-I glad his advice was to suggest u see a lawyer- Dont go to an USA embassy applying for for F1 visa knowing that you 've applied for aslyum....it is a no-no.

thanks GCman2005, Heemo, Mikemahmood and jonny1
Do you think USA embassy is going to reject even F2 VISA for my wife if she apply in COP. I'm still in status as F1. can they see my asylum case in the embassy even if i didn't get decision yet.

If you have advance parole = the us is allowing to travel and come back. But the can also question you at Point of Entry,.....(secondary inspection I mean)
But I would recommand you wait.
-Do not listen to Heemo-I glad his advice was to suggest u see a lawyer- Dont go to an USA embassy applying for for F1 visa knowing that you 've applied for aslyum....it is a no-no.

I have a adjustment of status case pending and I was considering what to do when I get GC approved. Since GC and RP needs visas for most everywhere, whereas RTD has a few perks (Germany, Holland) wouldn't it be better to get a RTD instead of a GC? Thoughts?

Visa-free travel cannot be stressed enough. The RTD is also cheaper. But, the validity is a killer for a lot of people, so paying more for 2 years, and then having to pay for a few visas here and there, isn't too bad.

waiting for my asylum decision

:cool:i applied for asylum based on my past persecution on sexual orientation and its now 75 days without any decision, does anybody have an idea how long it takes for Chicago office to mail out decision. i am now broke and life is no longer easy as i cannot work just lazy around at home.
application, Nov 12
bio-metrics, Nov 12
interview, Dec 2012
till today march 2 no response from them. and please is there any web site that i can check the status of my application. any contribution or ideas will be appreciated

Hi guys. This is my first message here. I need your advice. I'm colombian, and I want to go on vacation to my country. I have Asylee status, but I don't have my GC yet; however, I have my Refugee Travel Document. Do you think, guys, that I should visit my country using this document????

I'd like to read EVERYTHING you think about it.

Thank you.

Hello Colombian11...did you finally travel before getting your GC? I'm having the same dilemma right now but I'm not going on vacation but for a family situation.