Traveling Outside the US As Asylee applicant ,Asylee,LPR through Asylum

I received my RTD after 7.5 months, I am planning to go to Greece in August, anyone with experience traveling there? Do I need visa? Thanks

Does anyone know if there's any USCIS contact numbers I can try to talk to a real person to inquiry about my RTD? Thanks

Hi, i did. I recently went to Moldova , using RTD without GC . I did not obtained any visa ( i was told in embassy i don't need one) . Was really scared too but it went well. The only thing i did not like , every airport has been confused about RTD and they've been calling manager since most of them have not been familiar with it.
Thanks for sharing your experience

Has anyone else noticed the "fact sheet" warning asylum LPRs not to return to their home country and to travel with RTD because of "underlying asylum claim" is gone from USCIS's website? I cant' find it anywhere. Isn't this where it used to be?

I wonder if it got removed as a direct result of matter of N-A-I finally being settled by the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals. ??
Are you talking about this memo ?https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/news/Asylee_travel_information.pdf

Has anyone else noticed the "fact sheet" warning asylum LPRs not to return to their home country and to travel with RTD because of "underlying asylum claim" is gone from USCIS's website? I cant' find it anywhere. Isn't this where it used to be?

I wonder if it got removed as a direct result of matter of N-A-I finally being settled by the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals. ??
Are you talking about this memo ?https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/news/Asylee_travel_information.pdf

Has anyone got any experience signing up for Global Entry with an "asylum" green card? Did they let you use your RTD? I can't find anything on the website. Everything seems to indicate you must use a passport.

Has anyone got any experience signing up for Global Entry with an "asylum" green card? Did they let you use your RTD? I can't find anything on the website. Everything seems to indicate you must use a passport.

I think yes, green card is green card.

On website:

Global Entry Eligibility​

U.S. citizens and U.S. lawful permanent residents along with select other nationalities are eligible to apply.

Hello everyone

can someone with valid US visa and valid Passport travel to a country in Europe or UK for several month ....the asylum application is still pending

hi guys I m kind doubting if I will rather apply the RTD or re-entre permit . keep in mean I m GC holder as direct from asylee. so which one is safer to travel .

hi guys I m kind doubting if I will rather apply the RTD or re-entre permit . keep in mean I m GC holder as direct from asylee. so which one is safer to travel .
In other to travel out of the united states as an asylee or a GC holder from asylum u must obtain a travel document know as RTD. So my candid opinion will be for u to apply for a RTD as soon as possible as the processing time now can go up to 10months.

I would apply for reentry permit as it has two year of validity but it is more expensive where as RTD is only valid for a year.

I would apply for reentry permit as it has two year of validity but it is more expensive where as RTD is only valid for a year.
Wait, is it possible? If you have a green card, can you get a reentry permit? If it’s works that’s make sense. Because, re-entry permit 440$ more expensive than refugee travel document but valid for 2 years and if we count the two-year renewal fee for refugee travel document, between the two different type document differences just 220$ and if you get a re-entry permit you can save time from waiting period.

TypeWaiting PeriodPriceValid
Refugee Travel Document5-10 Months220$1 Years
Re-Entry Permit5-10 Months660$2 Years

Last edited:
Wait, is it possible? If you have a green card, can you get a reentry permit? If it’s works that’s make sense. Because, re-entry permit 440$ more expensive than refugee travel document but valid for 2 years and if we count the two-year renewal fee for refugee travel document, between the two different type document differences just 220$ and if you get a re-entry permit you can save time from waiting period.

TypeWaiting PeriodPriceValid
Refugee Travel Document5-10 Months220$1 Years
Re-Entry Permit5-10 Months660$2 Years
But i still think that travel document has advantages more than the other .for exp RTD gives u visa free to many countries in Europe and Africa, which i don't think is the same with re entry permit(u will probablyneed visa to all the countries u wish to travel to). Also i have never seen what re-entry permit looks like ,but RTD also serves as ur passport since it is not advisable for asylum GC holders to travel with their home country passport. I may be wrong but it's just my opinion

But i still think that travel document has advantages more than the other .for exp RTD gives u visa free to many countries in Europe and Africa, which i don't think is the same with re entry permit(u will probablyneed visa to all the countries u wish to travel to). Also i have never seen what re-entry permit looks like ,but RTD also serves as ur passport since it is not advisable for asylum GC holders to travel with their home country passport. I may be wrong but it's just my opinion
Refugee Travel Document and Re-Entry Permit %99 looks same. Looks like a passport, the outer covers are the same. The only difference in appearance is that in the upper left corner of the first page where you have your information, one writing "Refugee Travel Document" (in French too) and the other one "Permit to Re-Enter"(in French too). And right below has a "Class/Categorie" section. Says "Asylee" I think we can use re-entry permit like a RTD. Anyone has a experience about that?

hello everyone

so I decided to do the RTD take advantage of the money I send my application yesterday. so hopefully I'll get soon an answer.

Depends on your use of the document. if you have to go abroad for a job that needs you to stay abroad more than a year. If you travel a lot abroad and its easy for you to get Visas from EU, Canada, NZ and Australia go for Reentry permit. RTD has more visa free entry than Reentry permit then some states don't recognize both or one... the problem with RTD most of the last 4 MONTHS of the document is unusable because of 6 month validity rule in many third countries. Do your research and plan.

Hi guys! My status for travel document changed today to “

Case Was Approved” how long will it take to get document in the mail?​

Hi guys! My status for travel document changed today to “

Case Was Approved” how long will it take to get document in the mail?​

Congratulations on your approval . please tell us how long the RTD takes to be processed since you apply . as far for the receiving document it should take 1 or 2 week after you received your approval letter also it could be after 3 days.