Traveling back to COP

inTampa

Registered Users (C)
Hello, I have been granted asylum and need to return to COP due to a relative being sick...I do have a RTD but I'm kinda nervous of traveling and having problems trying to re-enter the US...any input? Anybody here who's done it? Thanks a lot!

Chances are very very high that you won't be allowed to enter the country. Since you were granted the status for saving your life and now if you can travel back because of your relative being sick, they would definitely believe that you are no longer in danger.
If you manage to say that its a different city than the city of persecution then they will say that you can settle there then rather than coming back.

Chances are very very high that you won't be allowed to enter the country. Since you were granted the status for saving your life and now if you can travel back because of your relative being sick, they would definitely believe that you are no longer in danger.
If you manage to say that its a different city than the city of persecution then they will say that you can settle there then rather than coming back.

Wow, I guess is definitely not a good idea :| thank you for your input sadsoul....is it different having the green card? I'm already elegible and about to apply!

you must be a citizen first before ever travelling back home if you feel safe.As an asylee or with a green card,you are still a citizen of your country and the reason they do not want you to go back home is because if something happens to you they wont be responsible since you are still a citizen of your COP ,SO the only time they can assist you is if you are a citizen f the USA ,because every citizen has the right to travel where ever he wants without restriction.I will advice you not to go back if you really dont want to get in to trouble at the port of entry.None the less you can still get back in even if you go back to COP but just be sure to provide enough evidence why you went back and why it was necessary ,also when ever you travel uscis keeps track of all your destinations and when you will apply for citizenship ,if they see that you went back to COP ,you will probably have problems there too ,but it can still be resolved but I wont advice you to take that risk because all of these things is luck ,if you have bad luck you will have troubles if you have good luck everything will be fine but I dont advice you to go back.Just pray God your relative gets better.Good luck

once you go to COP, you voluntarily give up your asylee status and USCIS will gladly accept it and ask you to leave.

wait until you become citizen

Even with the green card, it is not safe.

While this CAN be the case, it is not definite. It depends on your case, and the conditions back home. Asylees who have become permanent residents are often encouraged to get a passport their home country by CBP and other DHS staff.

Most people talk about this issue every time over here and i think it boils down to to interviewing officer during your naturalization interview.

...UNLESS YOU FEEL YOU HAVE TO, AND IT CAN BE JUSTIFIED.

It has been done, MANY TIMES, but it must be done with caution.

It does, but it also has to do with your particular situation. If you can reasonably justify why you HAD to go, chances are you will be fine. The key word here is REASONABLY. During your asylum interview for example, if you claimed to be on a hit list, and that they would pick you out of the passport control queue as soon as you entered the country, then you could be viewed suspiciously if you returned successfully as a visitor soon after.

Hello, I have been granted asylum and need to return to COP due to a relative being sick...I do have a RTD but I'm kinda nervous of traveling and having problems trying to re-enter the US...any input? Anybody here who's done it? Thanks a lot!

I may sound insensitive but sick relatives to me is not a valid emergency travel excuse to COP unless you are the primary caregiver. I am a GC holder and I have lost relatives in the last few years in my COP and the thought of going to my COP did not even cross my mind. I just don't want to open unnecessary cans of worms for no reasons. Once I get my citizenship, and have U.S. protection in the process, I will go and pay my respects.