Traveling after Oath Ceremony

dgarstang

Registered Users (C)
I have my oath ceremony scheduled for Dec 17.

However, I'm flying out of the country for vacation on Dec 21. It's my understanding that I need to surrender my green card at the oath ceremony. There's obviously no way I'll have my US passport by Dec 21. I know they give you a piece of paper at the oath ceremony that is used as proof of citizenship. What's that called, and is it good enough, in lieu of a passport, to re-enter the US with?

Doug.

However, I'm flying out of the country for vacation on Dec 21. It's my understanding that I need to surrender my green card at the oath ceremony. There's obviously no way I'll have my US passport by Dec 21. I know they give you a piece of paper at the oath ceremony that is used as proof of citizenship. What's that called, and is it good enough, in lieu of a passport, to re-enter the US with?

Doug.

Once you have taken oath, you'll need a US passport to travel outside US. You can obtain US passport same day/next day at a national passport center.

Doug.

It is touch and go, but it is possible you can complete the oath, get your passport and visa by by Dec 19.

Passport - Same Day or Next Day - Dev 17, or 18 at National Passport Centers
Visa - Same Day or Next Day - Depends on whether your travel country requires it ... many countries have visa waiver with US, and if required whether they process visa in 1-day. If yes - Dec 18.

The piece of paper - also known as the certificate of naturalization - can not be used to re-enter US. You need a passport.

At the oat ceremony you will receive your certficate of naturalization, which is proof that you are a US citizen. You cannot use this to travel however, you must have a US passport.
Make an appointment now with the nearest US State Dept passport center for Fri 18 and bring your certficate of naturalization, proof of travel (a paper ticket, a printout of an Eticket or something. You will get your passport that same day.
Remember, passport centers require an appointment, so act now to secure a spot.

Thanks all.

It's not clear to me if I can get my passport by Dec 21. The department of state web site at http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/schedule/schedule_852.html says "You need your U.S. passport in less than 2 weeks for international travel" which implies to me that it can take up to 2 weeks to get a passport, even when applying in person. There's nothing there about getting a passport the same or next day.

Thanks all.

It's not clear to me if I can get my passport by Dec 21. The department of state web site at http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/schedule/schedule_852.html says "You need your U.S. passport in less than 2 weeks for international travel" which implies to me that it can take up to 2 weeks to get a passport, even when applying in person. There's nothing there about getting a passport the same or next day.

I think you can still get a US passport on the same day or next day. By the way, which country are you going for vacation? Are you aware that you might need a foreign visa if you are a US citizen? for example, if you are going to India, you need a visa. If you are going to Western europe, you don't need a visa, but if you are going to eastern europe like russia, you need a visa. Are you aware of it?

If you think you don't have a time, you can postpone the oath day and still use green card and your home country passport.

As another poster said, it sounds risky. I don't want to leave it to the last minute. I don't know if the phone number for making an appointment lets you talk to a real person or not. If there's no real person involved, I won't know until much later if my definition of an emergency is good enough for them to hand me out a passport within 3 days.

USGC485... traveling to Australia. I have an Australian passport.

I could postpone the oath ceremony. However, what happens if they send me a new invite and it falls during my 2 weeks away (Dec 21 - Jan 7), or worse still, if they send me a new invite the day I leave, and by the time I return it will be too late to reschedule?

Doug

Thanks all.

It's not clear to me if I can get my passport by Dec 21.
Many have reported on this forum of being to obtaining a US passport the same day at a regional passport center.
The department of state web site at http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/schedule/schedule_852.html says "You need your U.S. passport in less than 2 weeks for international travel" which implies to me that it can take up to 2 weeks to get a passport, even when applying in person.

The absence of mentioning same day processing on the state department website doesn't mean they don't offer it.

As another poster said, it sounds risky. I don't want to leave it to the last minute. I don't know if the phone number for making an appointment lets you talk to a real person or not. If there's no real person involved, I won't know until much later if my definition of an emergency is good enough for them to hand me out a passport within 3 days.

USGC485... traveling to Australia. I have an Australian passport.

I could postpone the oath ceremony. However, what happens if they send me a new invite and it falls during my 2 weeks away (Dec 21 - Jan 7), or worse still, if they send me a new invite the day I leave, and by the time I return it will be too late to reschedule?

Doug

I had my oath ceremony on 19th at san francisco & i am getting my passport next day means tomorrow since i applied on friday & have travel plans for Nov 24t, same day passport is available as i have seen many people getting it. There is no risk invlolved in it, only you have to take an appointment in advance (abt 2 weeks) for the next day after oath which is DEC 18th.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke to someone at the department of state today.

Here's the deal. I need to wait until 2 weeks before I travel(Dec 21) to make an appointment for my passport, which is Dec 7. When I make the appointment, it's fully automated, and there's no way to speak to a real person. The first opportunity I will get to speak to a real person is the day of the in-person application which is Friday Dec 18th.

The guy at the department of state told me that the decision to give out a passport the next day is fully at the discretion of the passport office AND the San Francisco office, where I would be going, just happens to be the busiest in the country right now.

Let's also not forget that my oath ceremony is in the afternoon of the 17th, and that my flight is on the following Monday. That means I can ONLY schedule my passport application for the 18th. Since this is THREE DAYS before I fly, and TWO of them are the WEEKEND, it's not looking good.

The bottom line is that I am not going to wait until 3 days before I fly to potentially have to reschedule my flight.

Doug.

Here's the deal. I need to wait until 2 weeks before I travel(Dec 21) to make an appointment for my passport, which is Dec 7. When I make the appointment, it's fully automated, and there's no way to speak to a real person. The first opportunity I will get to speak to a real person is the day of the in-person application which is Friday Dec 18th.

The guy at the department of state told me that the decision to give out a passport the next day is fully at the discretion of the passport office AND the San Francisco office, where I would be going, just happens to be the busiest in the country right now.

Let's also not forget that my oath ceremony is in the afternoon of the 17th, and that my flight is on the following Monday. That means I can ONLY schedule my passport application for the 18th. Since this is THREE DAYS before I fly, and TWO of them are the WEEKEND, it's not looking good.

The bottom line is that I am not going to wait until 3 days before I fly to potentially have to reschedule my flight.

Doug.

I have just received my passport from San Francisco passport office next day, since i work in the same building i know you can easily make it, as i have said before i have seen many of them getting same day passport in front of my eyes & see them everyday, they get in the line at 9:00 am for application & again they come back at 3:00 pm to pick up their passport, again its up to you to take decision.

Doug.

The person you spoke to was nicely wrong. Just call the automated line, you can't speak to a live person and schedule an appointment. The automated system will give you options on available appointments, just pick one after 17th, bring in a completed application form, picture id, copy of your travel ticket, naturalization certificate-original one for that matter-no copies. I don't know about SF office, in DC all that you need to do, just show up at the National Passport Agency with copy of the above documentation, the security officers will review the information to verify that it requires immediate processing and allow you in the building. I did this for my son's passport, was done in less than 4 hours.

The only downside without an appointment is that you will have to wait in line for hours, but if you have an appointment then you will be seen by an officer at the appointed time or closer to that... It is possible to get a passport issued in one day at the NPA. Just be a little optimistic. :)

I just called the national passport info number again and spoke to someone else who told me the same thing. They do not guarantee that they will give out a passport on the same day. All they will say is 'from a few hours to a few days'. Since I am traveling on the Monday, that simply is not a time frame I can work with.

I am going to have to send back the oath ceremony letter, with a written letter of my own stating that I cannot make the 17th because I am leaving the country on the 21st, and their passport office cannot guarantee a same day passport. I'll also have to state that I cannot make ANY appointment until after I return on the 7th. On top of all that I'll have to make sure I send it registered mail etc with sign receipt to prove they received it, and cover my ***.

I just called the national passport info number again and spoke to someone else who told me the same thing. They do not guarantee that they will give out a passport on the same day. All they will say is 'from a few hours to a few days'. Since I am traveling on the Monday, that simply is not a time frame I can work with.

I am going to have to send back the oath ceremony letter, with a written letter of my own stating that I cannot make the 17th because I am leaving the country on the 21st, and their passport office cannot guarantee a same day passport. I'll also have to state that I cannot make ANY appointment until after I return on the 7th. On top of all that I'll have to make sure I send it registered mail etc with sign receipt to prove they received it, and cover my ***.

You are making a mistake. Take a chance...you will get your passport in right time. You got enough days.

Sounds like a plan.

While you are on it, why don't you schedule an INFOPASS and hand deliver the letter ... also mail it in. If you are lucky (and persistent), the rep will get you to talk to the IO and get things sorted out then and there.

In your situation, I think I would do the same thing. With no urgent need for citizenship, the possible hassles regarding obtaining the passport - not to mention to additional $$ for expediated service, and the stress worrying about it for the next 3-4 weeks would influence me in the decision.

I know the standard advice seems to be "don't delay your interview, don't delay your oath" in case it goes into some type of black hole...... I reschuled my interview, and the rescheduling process was not a problem. (well, except fo them not receiving my initial letter.......) So, definitely have delivery confirmation.....also, make sure it is addressed as fully as possible, including a room number or whatever is relevant.

Enjoy your tip back to Australia - I miss Christmas day on the beach......

First of all, I wish I could go to Australia (even though I'm writing you from an egyptian beach right now so I can't complain, lol).
You can definitely make it. I obtained my passport the next day in NYC (and I could have obtained one same day if I were to travel sooner - I was traveling in 4 days).
I just made an appointment, it's extremely easy on the automated line, but you need to wait until 2 weeks before the date you travel.
Another option would be leaving with your australian passport and apply for a US passport at a US consulate there, however, it takes about 2 weeks and you'd be borderline again... And while leaving the US on a foreign passport is easy, having a US passport when you enter the US is a must.
I'd schedule an appointment for the 18th if I were you. You would have your passport later in the day or, at worst, in the morning of the 21st. Flights to OZ leave at night anyways, so you'll be good.
Otherwise you can always postpone it.