Traveling after Oath Ceremony

NO you cannot do this..

Another option would be leaving with your australian passport and apply for a US passport at a US consulate there, however, it takes about 2 weeks and you'd be borderline again... And while leaving the US on a foreign passport is easy, having a US passport when you enter the US is a must.Otherwise you can always postpone it.

You cannot leave USA without showing the GC to the check-in agent of your airline, you don't have the GC after your Oath so you cannot do this. I am not sure of the laws and applications in Australia but keep in mind after your oath you are not an Australian citizen ( unless Australia automatically grant you the dual citizenship ) and in most countries it is illegal what is described here..

In your situation, I think I would do the same thing. With no urgent need for citizenship, the possible hassles regarding obtaining the passport - not to mention to additional $$ for expediated service, and the stress worrying about it for the next 3-4 weeks would influence me in the decision.
I agree. Even though getting a passport within 2-3 days is possible, it is not guaranteed. In this case, to the OP this trip is more urgent than getting citizenship, and apparently would rather take the trip and risk having to wait another 5 or 6 months for the oath, instead of risking the financial and personal consequences of rescheduling the trip.

You cannot leave USA without showing the GC to the check-in agent of your airline

I've traveled several times outside the US as LPR and was never asked for my GC by airline, only my foreign passport. Stating that you can't leave US without showing your GC is making a general statement based on loose assumptions rather than actual fact.

I've traveled several times outside the US as LPR and was never asked for my GC by airline, only my foreign passport. Stating that you can't leave US without showing your GC is making a general statement based on loose assumptions rather than actual fact.

Yes, I used to travel only showing my PP , but it doesn’t seems to be the case anymore. Over the last year I had to show or swipe my GC on the check in machine before I can check in my bags. I usually print the boarding pass on-line. I am not sure its just the airline policy or I could just board aircraft with carry-on bags.

I was also asked to show GC last year by airline staff.

Yes, I used to travel only showing my PP , but it doesn’t seems to be the case anymore. Over the last year I had to show or swipe my GC on the check in machine before I can check in my bags. I usually print the boarding pass on-line. I am not sure its just the airline policy or I could just board aircraft with carry-on bags.

Guys,
Airline employees have nothing to do with immigration and CBP.
And getting a passport at a US Embassy or Consulate abroad is perfectly legal. A friend of mine did it and I asked the US Consulate in Milan and they said it could be done, but it takes 2 weeks.
So let's stop freaking out.

Guys,
Airline employees have nothing to do with immigration and CBP.
And getting a passport at a US Embassy or Consulate abroad is perfectly legal. A friend of mine did it and I asked the US Consulate in Milan and they said it could be done, but it takes 2 weeks.
So let's stop freaking out.

Airline employees are required to check your information, including passport and possible visas before you can board a plane and they forward the information to DHS. For example, if you try to board a plane to China from the US with your EU passport without a visa, you will be denied.

Also, it is illegal for a US citizen to leave the US without a US passport. If CBP has no record of you leaving the US as a US citizen (because you decided to leave on your foreign passport after oath and apply for US passport at consulate overseas), you may face problems when you return to the US with your US passport.

Another option would be leaving with your australian passport and apply for a US passport at a US consulate there, however, it takes about 2 weeks and you'd be borderline again... And while leaving the US on a foreign passport is easy,

It is illegal for a USC to leave the US without a US passport according to INA 215(b). Leaving the US as a USC on your foreign passport (as a dual citizen) may be easy to do, but it also exposes you to possible penalties by CBP for having left the US without a US passport in the first place (although I'm not sure if CBP actually enforces the rule or not).

In my case, I travel a lot for business and my elite profile with the airline has all my info including about PP and GC. I can get an online boarding pass and go straight and board the aircraft if I am traveling to my home country as I am holding the passport. But if I need to connect to an other country where I need visa then airline staff verify my PP and GC before they give the boarding pass. In the example here , even though OP holds Australian PP, he must be connecting somewhere ( as there is no non-stop flight ) so he needs to stop at the airline counter and they will ask GC. Again this is from my experience of about 3 to 4 international trips a year.
Regarding the bag check in questions, you have to swipe the GC on the machine ( at least in my case) and the baggage tags are printed behind the counter and the airline employee place the tag on the check in bag and they usually verify the travel document before they do.
As I mention in my first post, I am not familiar with the Australian law but it is Illegal where I came from to enter the country using one PP and leaving with another and I do have first hand knowledge of people went to jail . Unlike in the US most countries has an immigration check point before you leave ( by Air) and they will verify your entry into the country by usually looking at an entry stamp on the travel document ( PP) and if they can’t find it you need to explain the reason. This may be ok in Australia but one need to check. That is why I asked the question whether Dual citizenship in Australia is automatic, meaning after you receive the citizenship in the US the Australian citizenship and PP is valid by default or you need to file some paperwork. I know some countries require their citizen to file some paper work after they receive citizenship from an other country. Excuse my long post I got into a fair amount of trouble traveling internationally, I didn’t do anything illegal but you get into some interesting situations sometimes 

In my case, I travel a lot for business and my elite profile with the airline has all my info including about PP and GC. I can get an online boarding pass and go straight and board the aircraft if I am traveling to my home country as I am holding the passport. But if I need to connect to an other country where I need visa then airline staff verify my PP and GC before they give the boarding pass. In the example here , even though OP holds Australian PP, he must be connecting somewhere ( as there is no non-stop flight ) so he needs to stop at the airline counter and they will ask GC. Again this is from my experience of about 3 to 4 international trips a year.
Regarding the bag check in questions, you have to swipe the GC on the machine ( at least in my case) and the baggage tags are printed behind the counter and the airline employee place the tag on the check in bag and they usually verify the travel document before they do.
As I mention in my first post, I am not familiar with the Australian law but it is Illegal where I came from to enter the country using one PP and leaving with another and I do have first hand knowledge of people went to jail . Unlike in the US most countries has an immigration check point before you leave ( by Air) and they will verify your entry into the country by usually looking at an entry stamp on the travel document ( PP) and if they can’t find it you need to explain the reason. This may be ok in Australia but one need to check. That is why I asked the question whether Dual citizenship in Australia is automatic, meaning after you receive the citizenship in the US the Australian citizenship and PP is valid by default or you need to file some paperwork. I know some countries require their citizen to file some paper work after they receive citizenship from an other country. Excuse my long post I got into a fair amount of trouble traveling internationally, I didn’t do anything illegal but you get into some interesting situations sometimes 

I am assuming you dont have a "western" passport? I think anyone with a European Union passport or from Australia, Singapore etc..dont get asked the GC everytime.

It is illegal for a USC to leave the US without a US passport according to INA 215(b). Leaving the US as a USC on your foreign passport (as a dual citizen) may be easy to do, but it also exposes you to possible penalties by CBP for having left the US without a US passport in the first place (although I'm not sure if CBP actually enforces the rule or not).
There might be some situations wherein one would travel to Canada by land and would not get his/her passport swiped by Canadians. Then take a flight overseas and come back straight to the USA.

There might be some situations wherein one would travel to Canada by land and would not get his/her passport swiped by Canadians. Then take a flight overseas and come back straight to the USA.

Yes, or traveling to any WHTI country by land or sea with enhanced DL only.