Travel with Green Card and Expired Passport

rununix

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I have a Green Card already, but my passport is expired(no stamps in passport to extend validity).
I want to go to Canada for a visit and I am wondering if I can do it just with my Green Card? What about other countries?

Thanks

Hello,

I have a Green Card already, but my passport is expired(no stamps in passport to extend validity).
I want to go to Canada for a visit and I am wondering if I can do it just with my Green Card? What about other countries?

Thanks

I believe until December 2007, green card would suffice (If you are driving that is). I read somewhere it was until September 2007. So check with the Canadian embassy here or wait for other posters to comment.

And your second question about other countries, if you are to fly, what makes you think they will let you board the flight without a passport?

It is the prerogative of the country you are entering whether or not to let you in with an expired passport. In other words, it depends on the mood of the officer processing you at the port of entry. Having a Green Card doesn't mean you get the same rights and treatment as a US citizen; rather, you are still treated as a citizen of the country which issued you the passport. I've been at the Canadian border and seen many times how people on both sides get turned back on account of an expired passport and thinking that their permanent residency carries weight. An expired passport is only good for one thing if you have a Green Card and leave the US: travel back to the country of origin.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the prerogative of the country you are entering whether or not to let you in with an expired passport.
This seems more about traveling with no passport -- in other words, with the green card alone.

The green card alone will get you into Canada and some Caribbean countries, and also back into the US (although sometimes they may ask for a passport).

Several countries have made agreements that their passports are considered valid for 6 months beyond the stamped expiration date. See page 175 of this document: http://www.gani.com/public/immigration/forms/fieldman.pdf

However, that extended six-month period doesn't help you if the passport has already expired and the destination country requires the passport to be valid for six months beyond the date of entry.

Hi Jackolantern,

Just recently got my green card. Am wondering if a visa is required to visit Mexico and Canada for vacation. I have plans to go on trips next year.

Should I ask for visa from Canadian and Mexican embassies or will a green card suffice.

Thank you

GCF

I believe until December 2007, green card would suffice (If you are driving that is). I read somewhere it was until September 2007. So check with the Canadian embassy here or wait for other posters to comment.

And your second question about other countries, if you are to fly, what makes you think they will let you board the flight without a passport?
You said,“I believe until December 2007, green card would suffice (If you are driving that is)。“ Do you mean after December 2007, the green card would be insufficient for reentry into the US by a car from Canada? Where did you learn it from?

You said,“I believe until December 2007, green card would suffice (If you are driving that is)。“ Do you mean after December 2007, the green card would be insufficient for reentry into the US by a car from Canada? Where did you learn it from?

I believe this could have been confused with the current US Passport quagmire.

There was a similar topic discusssed here :
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-im...o-passport-any-problems-at-entry-t5330.0.html

An excerpt taken from there says this "....the current law requires that you can still show your green card and your valid state driver's license /identification card. They cannot hold it against you for not having a passport - the law does not say so yet; the law will say so in January 2008, by which time everybody crossing land borders is required to show a passport for land travel"

You can also try to look for "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative". From that information, I am unable to find an exact answer to the topic in hand here.

This document clarifies it further:
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/07-4584_Signed_Rule_061907.pdf

Page 43 said:
C. Lawful Permanent Residents of the United States

Section 7209 of IRTPA does not apply to Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs), because LPRs are immigrant aliens exempted from the requirement to present a passport under section 2 1 l(b) of the INA. LPRs will continue to be able to enter the United States upon presentation of a valid Form I-551, Permanent Resident cards or other evidence of permanent resident status.

Some people may have confused the different requirements between the US citizen and LPR. Neither did they realize they were talking about the subject, Life After The Green Card. The new requirements for the US citizen and LPR are different. The requirements for the LPR seem simpler and easier than the US citizen after January 1, 2008, eh? Enjoy!

It also makes sense that the US government would put more trust in the authenticity of a green card which was issued by them, than of a foreign passport.

But even if the green card alone is sufficient to re-enter the US, it is not always sufficient for being allowed into other countries for a visit.

Wish some LPR could report s/he showed only PR card at a POE for reentry.

I've never showed a passport at an air or land POE since getting my GC, but then again I've always traveled to/from Canada, always had the passport just in case, and haven't been to Canada since April 2005. So I'm probably not the best example.

My wife traveled back from Canada by air in August. I believe she only showed her GC, but again she had a passport "just in case".

Foreign nationals that are lawful permanent residents of the U.S. must present a Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”, INS Form I-551), a Reentry Permit (if gone for more than 1 year), or a Returning Resident Visa (if gone for 2 years or more), and their passport to reenter the United States if traveling from outside the Western Hemisphere. If traveling to Canada or Mexico, the Permanent Resident Card is sufficient, although, carrying a passport as well could help facilitate your reentry. (LPRs that are out of the U.S. for more than 180 days are subject to new immigrant inspection procedures as per 8 USC 1101.)

From CBP

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never showed a passport at an air or land POE since getting my GC, but then again I've always traveled to/from Canada, always had the passport just in case, and haven't been to Canada since April 2005. So I'm probably not the best example.

My wife traveled back from Canada by air in August. I believe she only showed her GC, but again she had a passport "just in case".

I've been back to Canada only once since I got my Green card and I had the same experience. I had my passport ready, but the immigration officer didn't ask for it.

RF