Travel to India via europe

gcbayarea

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I need to travel to India in december. I am a US citizen (former Indian citizen) and will get my OCI in a few days.

When I checked tickets for US-India flights, they are coming to around $2300 for december. However, if I take 2 separate tickets (US-Germany and Germany-India), the total is coming to around $1700. Is it possible to go to India this way? Are there any things that I should watch out for if I buy these 2 separate tickets?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing to worry about with 2 separate tickets is if your first flight is delayed, you might miss your connecting flight which is a different ticket, meaning they won't necessarily have to help you. They might, but they can refuse. Maybe you can make sure to have a long layover, or make a visit to Germany out of it.

The Germans will not have a problem with your system.

EWR - DEL Non-Stop on CO

Purchasing two seperate tickets could indeed be tricky. In addition to misconnections, delays, etc., your baggage (if checked) will be point-to-point; not linked to the second carrier. You would need to claim your baggage after clearing Immigration & Customs in FRA, then go to the ticket counter and check in with the second airline carrier.

Why not try Continental Airlines? The lowest fare that I found was $1512 including taxes: EWR to DEL non-stop.

My family flies CO all the time to India.

Thanks cafeconleche, Singh4US, those points are valid.

Singh4US, I need to travel to trivandrum, kerala which tends to be more costly than DEL. Also, my dates are 12/09/11 to 1/1/12, which is perhaps the very most expensive time to fly. I checked Continental website and it gave $3000 quote. Anyway, I will keep checking. Right now just waiting for the OCI.

If it is the same airline, you can try your luck and get the bags checked all the way. I have done it during domestic travel and the airline staff was very helpful. You can always get the boarding passes for the next flight from one of the counters at the airport (without going through passport control).

I also do not see an issue with airlines too in terms of booking 2 separate tickets.

Again, if it is the same airline, try talking to the airline and see if they can issue the ticket. Despite the hype of internet booking, sometimes the phone call works much better. If it is a different airline, maybe a travel agent can help.

Anyway, all this talk about being able to check bags directly all the way is best guess. It does carry risks (also requiring long layover) and it will be best to get the ticketing setup through the airline.

JFK-DXB-TRV RT EK Emirates $1235.00

Thanks cafeconleche, Singh4US, those points are valid.

Singh4US, I need to travel to trivandrum, kerala which tends to be more costly than DEL. Also, my dates are 12/09/11 to 1/1/12, which is perhaps the very most expensive time to fly. I checked Continental website and it gave $3000 quote. Anyway, I will keep checking. Right now just waiting for the OCI.

IF you can be at all flexible with your travel dates, the VLF (very lowest fare) is $1235.00 round trip including taxes on Emirates Airline. But this itinerary requires a long stopover in Dubai while in transit.

EK0204 Weds 7DEC 10:40pm JFK to DXB 08:10am 8DEC
EK0522 Thurs 8DEC 21:55pm DXB to TRV 03:15am 9DEC

EK0523 Thurs 29DEC 04:30am TRV to DXB 07:05am
EK0203 Fri 30DEC 02:00am DXB to JFK 07:20am

Dubai is decent place to transit through. A US passport will allow the traveler to leave Dubai airport, if interested in seeing the city. Emirates might even spring for a hotel room. They did for me when I traveled from the US to Maldives via Dubai.

But this itinerary requires a long stopover in Dubai while in transit.

Thanks guys. Looks like having a US passport is very useful for international travel. Gives us much more options.

Does anyone have any other experience/info about travel through Dubai. esp hotel stay, day trip tourism, ATM availability, credit card usability etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
IF you can be at all flexible with your travel dates, the VLF (very lowest fare) is $1235.00 round trip including taxes on Emirates Airline. But this itinerary requires a long stopover in Dubai while in transit.

wow. That is an awesome fare. Thanks. I certainly don't mind the layover, esp if I can get out and do a little tourism.

Travel

It doesnt seem like there would be any problems with the Germans.
Have a great flight.

Thanks guys. Looks like having a US passport is very useful for international travel. Gives us much more options.

Does anyone have any other experience/info about travel through Dubai. esp hotel stay, day trip tourism, ATM availability, credit card usability etc.

Dubai :-
ATM and credit card should work. Changing traveler cheques is hard, banks usually limit to USD 500 a day and it might take 5 minutes to 30 minutes depending on the queue. Money changers are expensive, but you can find them. December is a fantastic time to visit as otherwise it will be too hot. If you can, stay longer than a day. You can go for a desert safari (google it), you will forget your rides in US theme parks, plus good evening program. You get boat rides and other things to do too. If you like gold, there is gold souk with about 300 shops of jewelry, mostly gold. Plus, malls ... huge, like US I guess but less crowded (from what I remember).

Burj is 'decent'. You can try many of the service apartments. While the rates were still 'decent', I think the space and service quality was incomparable to US hotels of equivalent price. I stayed once in a place called Flora Park ... do not want to advertise things here, google and you will find.