Travel To Hong Kong

CPA

Registered Users (C)
I would like to go to Hong Kong in December, but I have a few questions (hopefully one of you could help me).

Do I need a visa to travel to Hong Kong? if so, how do I apply for one if I don't live nearby China embassy?

My RTD will be expried early March 2008, do they accept if RTD is expired in the next three months?

Thanks!
CPA

6 months validity is required and you need to apply for a visa. Applying a visa at a Chinese Embassy will be quickest compared to mailing your application to Hong Kong directly

I always mail my travel document to the Hong Kong Immigration Department. Hong Kong civil servants are extremely efficient and cordial. The same thing cannot be said about commies from the mainland. Stay away from the Communist embassy if you can.

It only takes 4 days to process a HK visa at a Chinese Consulate, or you can opt for express processing, which is just 1 day

No.
You need a visa for each "country/region", I was there this summer and I had to get 3 different visas, one for for mainland China, another visa for HK, and another visa for Taiwan.

How did you get a visa for Taiwan? The last time I checked, they don't recognize RTD as an official travel document

6 months validity is required and you need to apply for a visa. Applying a visa at a Chinese Embassy will be quickest compared to mailing your application to Hong Kong directly

Is the 6 months validity required only when the visa is obtained or for the whole stay in Hong Kong? Also, do I need to buy the tickets first before the visa or vice versa? Hope someone can answer my questions as I am hoping to visit my sister in Hong Kong this November and my RTD is valid only until April 11, 2009. Thanks in advance!

How did you get a visa for Taiwan? The last time I checked, they don't recognize RTD as an official travel document

I use my RTD to go to Taiwan. I do have to go to their embassy in Washington DC though, their consulate in NY was unable to issue me a visa and advise me to go to their embassy in DC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the 6 months validity required only when the visa is obtained or for the whole stay in Hong Kong? Also, do I need to buy the tickets first before the visa or vice versa? Hope someone can answer my questions as I am hoping to visit my sister in Hong Kong this November 2008 and my RTD is valid only until April 11, 2009. Thanks in advance!

Hi asylee75, IMHO the China embassy is your best place to ask that question. You should tell them that you'll go there on nov 08 and ask them whether will there be a problem with your rtd validity. IMHO, if they issue you a visa, I don't think you'll have any problem going there regardless of the expiration date. I went to Singapore with 3 months left on my RTD. I provide Singapore customs officer with the return tickets (I was there for only a week) and hotel confirmations. He did give me a hard time with my RTD validity however in the end he allowed me in. I never buy the ticket first whenever I apply for visa.

Hi asylee75, IMHO the China embassy is your best place to ask that question. You should tell them that you'll go there on nov 08 and ask them whether will there be a problem with your rtd validity. IMHO, if they issue you a visa, I don't think you'll have any problem going there regardless of the expiration date. I went to Singapore with 3 months left on my RTD. I provide Singapore customs officer with the return tickets (I was there for only a week) and hotel confirmations. He did give me a hard time with my RTD validity however in the end he allowed me in. I never buy the ticket first whenever I apply for visa.

Thanks RYCeT! Great advice. I think I'll do just that.