Travel to Home Country through neighbor country

asylee22

Registered Users (C)
I really need to see my parents- they are so old, and I don't think I will ever see them again. I wanted to fly to Mexico using my RTD, then go to my home country using my passport- fly back to Mexico and then to the US... i have a RTD....Would I put my status in danger by doing that? How would the INS find out I used my passport to fly from Mexico to my home country?
Can I ask for a formal authorization to DHS to visit my home country for a week?

You may certainly go from Mexico to your home country using your home country's passport, but then you are probably going to need a visa stamped in yuor home country's passport to return back to Mexico. If you don't, then it is fine, but if you do, then what are guarantees you are going to get a visa? If you don't, then you are screwed... So you have to be carefull.

plus it is illegal to travel with two travel documents/passports for one travel. Many people do that all the time, but ... why risk it. Why don't you invite them to come here. That's what I did with mine and also I traveled to a country close to my home country and I saw them there too few years ago. There are solutions, you just have to find them.

Has anyone attempted this?

I would like to know if there are people in the forum that have already tried successfully to do what Asylee22 is asking?

We need some actual testimonials....

Please advise....

pedrop said:
I would like to know if there are people in the forum that have already tried successfully to do what Asylee22 is asking?

We need some actual testimonials....

Please advise....

I know someone who did go back and had his LPR status taken away by the USCIS. The case is now before the immigration courts.

Miami 2002 - you mean the person you know had a green card?

Miami 2002 - you mean the person you know had an actual green card? So how did they find out?

Well guys! Quite frankly I know of people who have gone back to their countries and come back without trouble. The whole issue lies in the fact that how much knowledgeable the immigration officer is who greets you at the port of entry POE. If he knows what A06 is, he will probe you. Again if you have very strong legitimate reasons, I think that they would make a big issue. But if you were vacationing in the country from which you obtained protection, obviously will raise questions.

Best bet is to go to Canada, book flight back and forth from Canada and reenter USA from Canada. Going straight from US to home country will be a more risky, however as mentioned earlier, I have seen people coming back without problems.

Loopholes

Lazer: I'm intrigued (or maybe I'm just bored silly at work) so I'll attempt to map this out, step by step if someone were to travel (by plane) to Canada and from there to their home country. I see some problems however:

Scenario #1: staying inside airport
1. Asylee travel from US to Canada. RTD does not get stamped. Asylee doesn't have to fill out the arrival/departure card for Canada (which they do, if I remember; you keep one half of it, which has to be returned when you leave; note that on the card itself you have to fill out the number of your passport/travel document).
2. Asylee boards another flight from Canada to country of persecution, using his/her national passport.
3. Asylee returns from country of persecution to Canada. Note that RTD or passport is still not stamped by Canadian borders (because you're still not leaving the airport).
4. Asylee boards another flight from Canada to USA.
5. At the USA border, officer flips through your RTD, asks you if you're returning from Canada but how come nothing is stamped on your RTD to prove you enter/exit Canada?

Scnenario #2: coming out of airport and reentering
1. Asylee travels from USA to Canada. Goes through Canadian borders with RTD. Fills out Canadian Arrival/Departure card, noting your RTD number. RTD gets stamped by the Canadians. You keep one half of the Arrival/Departure card.
2. Leave airport. Then come back to board your flight to country of persecution with your national passport. Canadians will ask for your other half of Arrival/Departure card, but then, it won't match up with your RTD for the document number you filled in right? Potential problem here.
3. Say if asylee gets through somehow, flies to country of persecution with national passport. Comes back to Canada. Have to fill out another arrival/departure card, indicating passport's number. When you're ready to board your flight from Canada to the USA with your RTD and turn in your arrival/departure card, numbers still aren't matching right? Another problem.

My feeling is that what messes you up is that most countries require you to fill out arrival/departure cards, which they then use to enter your passport/travel documents numbers into their computer system. I don't know how you can plan the whole thing in a way where on your RTD, it clearly shows the INS officer that you spent say, 2 weeks in Canada (with proper entry and exit date and time stamps) when you return to the U.S.

EspressoJoy said:
Miami 2002 - you mean the person you know had an actual green card? So how did they find out?

Yes he did have his green card.

Remember a green card does not give you an absolute right to remain in the United States (only citizenship gives that right).

Dear ukulele!

It seems that you have done a lot of brain storming but left one important point. Travel to Canada and back from Canada by road. You just have to wave your green card both ways. From Canadian airport to home country airports, use passport with valid canadian visa.

Hope now it is clear.. :)

Asylee travelling after GC

Hey guys,
I'm a new comer to this site. I was just amazed that how much valuable info is availabale for us on this site. Thanks to Mr. Khanna and helpful, cooperative and sharing people like all of you who are trying to help each othere here.

I have 485 pending and I'm an Asylee. I was just wondering that what happens after an asylee gets his green card. Can he visit to his prosecuting country freely then or does it still remain dangerous?
Your comments will be appreciated.

I am amazed that you guys seem to think nothing about lying to USCIS about this. If you commit fraud anywhere in your process, even Naturalization can be revoked. Lying on an Asylum application is a PERMANENT bar to reentery. You can get all the testimonials that you want, ICE/BCP/USCIS are getting more and more resources to check backgrounds and other information. People are put into proceedings every day because of crimes that they committed years ago, even though they have travelled many times since and reentered without a problem. Things are different now. USCIS is all about enforcement. An arriving alien is frequently mandatory detention and is not released until an Immigration Judge makes a decision on the case. I have had 2 clients in the last six months who were GC holders who were detained when they entered the US and are still in custody. One is a Dentist with a practice in the US.

Do what you want but at least know what you are risking.

Punjabi_Munda

Thanks Jim, for your quick reply. The way it sounds like is that an Asylee can never go back and visit his family if they are still back in the prosecuting country. Even after GC or becoming a USC. :(

Thanks Jim!

I don't believe that most people here in this forum had false asylum claims. I think issue gets emotional when people want to see their families. Lets put yourself in their shoes. Had you been living in another country for 10 years and havent seen your loved ones, wouldn't you want to go back. Just because somebody "wants" to go back does not automatically imply that they had false asylum claims. However, we all chose to seek protection of this great country and there has to be a price to pay for this protection.

That is how I see the issue.

Jim Mills said:
I am amazed that you guys seem to think nothing about lying to USCIS about this. If you commit fraud anywhere in your process, even Naturalization can be revoked. Lying on an Asylum application is a PERMANENT bar to reentery. You can get all the testimonials that you want, ICE/BCP/USCIS are getting more and more resources to check backgrounds and other information. People are put into proceedings every day because of crimes that they committed years ago, even though they have travelled many times since and reentered without a problem. Things are different now. USCIS is all about enforcement. An arriving alien is frequently mandatory detention and is not released until an Immigration Judge makes a decision on the case. I have had 2 clients in the last six months who were GC holders who were detained when they entered the US and are still in custody. One is a Dentist with a practice in the US.

Do what you want but at least know what you are risking.

Jim,

What about derivative asylees? Is this a crime for them to go and see there parents. This would be very cruel, because primary applicants can at least file for their parents to join them, but the derivative applicatnts, spouses, for example, can not start the process of family reunion. Thanks.

karina said:
Jim,

What about derivative asylees? Is this a crime for them to go and see there parents. This would be very cruel, because primary applicants can at least file for their parents to join them, but the derivative applicatnts, spouses, for example, can not start the process of family reunion. Thanks.

:) Derivative asylee spouse and children can return to their country of origin

According to the center a derivative asylee spouse and children can return to their country of origin with or without the principal. A short trip should not affect the derivatives ability to adjust (adjustment of status). As they can travel advance parole or a refugee travel document can be used for travel. A home country passport that is renewed will raise questions with the adjudicator of the I-485 about the applicant's continued status as an asylee.

http://www.immigration.com/newsletter1/nsc110504.html

Punjabi_Munda

Thanks LAzerthegreat and Karina. You are absolutely right. I didn't have a false asylum claim. Lazerthegreat put it very nicely that only someone who has been living in another country for ten years can understand what it is like to not be able to see their family. My Mom tried to apply for visit visa to come see me but her request was refused. Will my GC would say Asylee on it?
Thanks guys

I never said that the Asylum claims were fraudulent, I just stated what the penalties are for fraudulent asylum claims. It does not seem to be too great a leap to think that those that would falsely state that they have not visited their home country would make other false statements. There are exceptions where it may be permissible for an Asylee to visit their home country but that is not to just visit their parents (unless the parent is extremely ill (that is one of the possible exceptions)). Your best bet would to either have the parents and family members come here, or visit them in a 3rd country. It's hard to say that you have a well founded fear of persecution that is major enough to warrant a grant of asylum and then take a vacation to the country where you are supposedly persecuted.

I think the contradiction is rather apparent.

EspressoJoy said:
country conditions changed? 10 years is a long time.

Asylum status is subject to cancellation upon a fundamental change in country conditions. If that occurs, adjustment will also be denied and you will be asked to leave the United States.