Travel to Home Country through neighbor country

Jim,

I agree with your two posts completely. As I have said a number of times, common sense alone would counsel that asylees (or former asylees who just received their permanent residence) should not visit their country of persecution, barring very unusual circumstances.

Not too long ago someone came to our firm for help. He had obtained asylum by claiming to be an opposition leader who was being actively hunted by his country's secret police. But then two months after getting his green card, he went back for a long vacation! Even a child would suspect asylum fraud in this instance.

I think some people do not really understand what asylum really means.

Jim Mills said:
I never said that the Asylum claims were fraudulent, I just stated what the penalties are for fraudulent asylum claims. It does not seem to be too great a leap to think that those that would falsely state that they have not visited their home country would make other false statements. There are exceptions where it may be permissible for an Asylee to visit their home country but that is not to just visit their parents (unless the parent is extremely ill (that is one of the possible exceptions)). Your best bet would to either have the parents and family members come here, or visit them in a 3rd country. It's hard to say that you have a well founded fear of persecution that is major enough to warrant a grant of asylum and then take a vacation to the country where you are supposedly persecuted.

I think the contradiction is rather apparent.

What if

What if you become a US citizen through asylum? And what about the link that states that there is no problem for derivative asylees?

Gilbert said:
Jim,

I agree with your two posts completely. As I have said a number of times, common sense alone would counsel that asylees (or former asylees who just received their permanent residence) should not visit their country of persecution, barring very unusual circumstances.

Not too long ago someone came to our firm for help. He had obtained asylum by claiming to be an opposition leader who was being actively hunted by his country's secret police. But then two months after getting his green card, he went back for a long vacation! Even a child would suspect asylum fraud in this instance.

I think some people do not really understand what asylum really means.

We took on a case that was filed by another attorney. The alien was in removal proceedings and had his asylum case denied and referred to an Immigration Judge. It turned out that one newpaper article that was submitted (the article actually had the alien's picture in it) had been manufactured by some group that apparently does such things. USCIS pointed this out, we consulted with the client and he left the US in a couple of days. Asylum fraud blacks out all benefits under the Immigration and Nationality Act. No waivers, no visitor's visa. Nothing. Depart US never to return. In our case, the alien was married to a USC with a USC child.

Jim Mills said:
We took on a case that was filed by another attorney. The alien was in removal proceedings and had his asylum case denied and referred to an Immigration Judge. It turned out that one newpaper article that was submitted (the article actually had the alien's picture in it) had been manufactured by some group that apparently does such things. USCIS pointed this out, we consulted with the client and he left the US in a couple of days. Asylum fraud blacks out all benefits under the Immigration and Nationality Act. No waivers, no visitor's visa. Nothing. Depart US never to return. In our case, the alien was married to a USC with a USC child.

This is a real story.

A young woman from Africa tried to enter the US with a false passport. She then applied for asylum on some sort of gender-related ground. She secured public expressions of support from such people like Hillary Clinton (who was still the First Lady) and Julia Roberts. The CIS yielded to the pressure and granted her asylum.

But a few years later the CIS became suspicious of her story and sent veteran criminal investigators to her hometown. They gathered indisputable evidence that her whole story was fabricated in its entirety.

The person was indicted for perjury and for using the false passport to come into the country in the first place. She was arrested by the FBI. A jury in New York then convicted her all charges and she was sentenced to prison. It goes without saying that after serving her sentence, she will be deported and will not be permitted to come back for any reason for the remainder of her life.