Travel question

doc w

Registered Users (C)
I have a travel related question. How much time can one safely spend outside of the country after getting the Conditional GC? I ask as I need to be with my child in home country who I have not seen in almost 1 year. I believe it is 3 months, but just checking if someone has first hand experience.
Thanks in advance

I am bumping the thread to get some input from Praetorian, Triple Citizen and such like experienced ones.

Well, it is less than a year and I know people who stayed over than a year but had to get a re-entry permit to come back.

Also, if you are a student you can stay as long as you want as a GC holder in a foreign country as long as you prove that you are a full time student or also a full time worker abroad.

I have a question though regarding this one. I myself have been out for 9 months in Canada as a full time grad student and I used to go back and forth every 6 months but now I've just renewed my study permit and still waiting for it because it takes 90 days to get it. However, I would like to go back and visit family in the states. Can I still do that?

Thanks!

So,let me get this straight...with a conditional green card, I must return before the turn of 6 months. Doing so, I would not need a re-entry permit. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Another question: The US being in such a major recession and jobs being so hard to get, I may have a fellowship in my home country awarded by a US non-profit organization. It may be for a year. I am wondering what would be the procedure to come back. Do I need a re-entry permit even if I can make a trip back before 6 months? Any advice from Triple Citizen , Praetorian or anyone with first hand knowledge would be appreciated.
Thanks

@ Triple:
I was told by my lawyer that I can still go back after I've been out for 9 months and I don't need a re-entry permit.

Also, when you look at form I-131 it states clearly that a GC holder does not need a re-entry permit for absences less than 1 YEAR. I-131 for GC holders who stayed over a year overseas and need to go back to the US.

Correct me if I'm wrong please.

ps: I don't have a re-entry permit Triple. Why would I need one since I've been out so far for 9 months only.

Your lawyer is correct and so is the I-131 form. The only thing that changes from a stay under 6 months, to a stay between 6 to 12 months is the perception of the POE officer. For stay in the 6 to 12 month duration, the POE officer may put the burden of proof on you that you did not abandon your US residence. You should still be OK with a genuine reason. However if you can avoid a trip over 6 months than please do so.

I was told by my lawyer that I can still go back after I've been out for 9 months and I don't need a re-entry permit.

Also, when you look at form I-131 it states clearly that a GC holder does not need a re-entry permit for absences less than 1 YEAR. I-131 for GC holders who stayed over a year overseas and need to go back to the US.

Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Well Triple, I got my school documents as proof that I'm a full time grad student in Montreal. However, They never asked me at the borders for any of these documents when I used to go every 6 months.

Should I take with me as much proof as I can to avoid any surprises?

Thanks again for your prompt answers :)

Working for a US non-profit organisation abroad may be possible, but I think you'd need a valid N-470. As for students being allowed to stay abroad for as long as they want, where did you hear this?

Thanks Cafe.. That is a great input.

However, I just read that:
Additionally,naturalization applicants are required to have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months of those five years (18 months if eligible under the citizen-spouse exemption)

and to file N 470, one must have been present in the US for at least 1 year as Perm Resident prior to applying.