Translation of documents

Raashi

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My birth certificate is in not in english (I am from India). I-485 has the following instructions for translations:

"Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified ascomplete and correct and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate the foreign language into English."

1: By whom can I get this translation done? I guess, Indian Embassy is one option. But I live in Miami and they dont have an office anywhere nearby.
Do I have any other options?

2:Can I get this translation done in India and get it mailed to me? If yes, by whom. Also,do I have to give any supporting document to proove that the translator is competent to translate in English. What can this proof be?

3: Is there any other document that can be submitted instead of Birth Certificate? Like - passport, which has date and place of birth printed.

Please help!

Thanks.

Hi... I searched for more information on this and found the following:

"Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

"The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________
Date Typed Name
Address
"

Does it mean that it is as simple as this ?- A friend/relative of mine who is fluent in both languages can do this.

Can I do it myself to?

Thanks,
Raashi
PS: I know I might get some angry replies as there are other posts on the same subject. But I mailed immidiately as I panicked when I realised my BC is not in english. For some reason I believed it was, and I was all set to seal my envelop this weekend.

I dont know if this translation is accepted or not but i also got my birth certificate from delhi as my original one dint have my name on it(just 'baby').....you can get it from the MCD office in which your hospital where you were born falls in....It has both hindi AND english translations on the same page and is stamped.You have to give your old birth certificate and some proof of identification.Its not a big deal....just a couple of trips to the MCD office.All the best!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I do not have the birth certificate that would have been issued at my birth. So last year I got a birth certificate made form 'Jaipur Nagar Nigam'. This one has my name on it and is in Hindi.

Also,the hospital in Jaipur that I was born in does not exist anymore.

What is MCD office? I live in the US, so is there a place in the US where I can get the translation?

Thanks.

MCD is the municipal corporation of delhi.....like your nagar nigam.You should have someone contact your nagar nigam in jaipur if the english version is available.I dont know about getting it translated here.....hope a more knowledgeable person on this forum is able to help you.

ANybody who speaks both languages can translate. I translated my parents' documents for their interview.

Thanks for your reply.

So can I translate for my own application as I speak both languages?

I used a translating service just to be on the safe side (and my spelling in my native language is pretty pathetic), but I do understand that one could do it himself if proficient enough.

it's best to have a friend or somebody with a different name translate, to eliminate conflict of interest.

does this translation have to be done on a stamp paper or something or just normal letter format?

does this translation have to be done on a stamp paper or something or just normal letter format?

I had the person translating my birth certificate sign it in the presence of a notary public - so the translation is notarized. I'm not sure if that's necessary.

Unless the notary is bilingual (speaks those two languages) it doesn't really matter. As he is can not certified to the accuracy of the translation. :p

Unless the notary is bilingual (speaks those two languages) it doesn't really matter. As he is can not certified to the accuracy of the translation. :p

That's true - but I guess the notary public's signature just verifies that the applicant didn't just sign the translation under someone else's name.