Traffic Tickets do not count!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeF said:
And that's completely irrelevant. You don't always get tickets when you speed, either. It is still not a gray area.
If you always drive within ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit, you will never get a speeding ticket. Technically you break the law but no enforcement officer will issue a speeding ticket. That ten mile above the speed limit is a gray zone.

JoeF said:
And that's completely irrelevant. You don't always get tickets when you speed, either. It is still not a gray area.
The law is clear, in both cases.
For the N-400, all citations, i.e., all speeding tickets, have to be listed. Period. End of story. As white as it can be. Not a speck of gray.

I think this subject is the curse of your life :D ...I won't be surprised to learn that you dream every night about "citations" and "traffic violations" TO BE OR NOT TO BE...reported in the N-400 application :D :D :D

NJGoose said:
It is gray because one would not be denied of citizenship if he did not report minor traffic violations.

They (USCIS) didn't ask to list those "citation" with the explicit purpose to deny the application because of that...but is understood that willingfully concealing a material fact may be a reason for denial..even though that particular material fact (a traffic citation) is minor and unimportant.

JoeF said:
No gray. It is a completely clear issue. There is nothing to discuss and squirm about.

JoeF I'd like to know your opinion on this question:

15. Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?

I'm sure everybody lied to this question :D :D

...and please don't tell me that never in your life, you didn't, at least, kick a dog who, you thought, wanted to bite you...and that may be an offense called "animal cruelty" ;) :D :D

Suzy977 said:
They (USCIS) didn't ask to list those "citation" with the explicit purpose to deny the application because of that...but is understood that willingfully concealing a material fact may be a reason for denial..even though that particular material fact (a traffic citation) is minor and unimportant.

People who choose not to report minor traffic violations on N-400 are better to mention them during the interview and bring payment receipts just in case.

NJGoose said:
If you always drive within ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit, you will never get a speeding ticket. Technically you break the law but no enforcement officer will issue a speeding ticket. That ten mile above the speed limit is a gray zone.

:D :D Unless you live in Downey, CA (L.A. County) where I used to live for the past 10 years and where in a 35 zone I got a ticket for "speeding" with 39 MPH...and in a 25 zone I got a ticket for "speeding" with 30 MPH :D :D those cops there are vicious, believe me :eek:

I had three tickets on my application, one for a red light and two for speeding. My interviewer did not question me about it. When he asked if I had ever been convicted of a crime, I stuttered/paused and he said do not count traffic citations. I said no and that was the end of that discussion.

Not sure about MTA but on MetroNorth if you don't have your tickets or money to pay for a ticket, they write one up for you right there. And it is actually a citation. Your then mail your payments in later in a provided envelope.

I have quite a few of those, :).

I think we have debated this senselessly for quite sometime now. The right approach is probably to let people decide on their own. List traffic tickets if you want to stick to the letter of the law; and don't if you want to stick to the spirit of the law.

No one here is capable of providing a definitive answer on this question. anyone pretending otherwise is misleading all of us.

qili said:
List traffic tickets if you want to stick to the letter of the law; and don't if you want to stick to the spirit of the law.

I just have to imagine a person getting into the situation to argue with an adjudication officer why he/she did not list when he/she was cited by a law enforcement officer for a reason (ticket) and the petitioner answered it was not 'in the spirit of the law' . Amen !

Alex

we are all free to imagine things.

Most of the times, they remain firmly in our imagination. Amen!

NJGoose said:
If you always drive within ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit, you will never get a speeding ticket
Never get a ticket? Are you sure? :eek:
Try speeding 10 miles above posted speed limit in a school zone. :cool:

astrix said:
Never get a ticket? Are you sure? :eek:
Try speeding 10 miles above posted speed limit in a school zone. :cool:

or try to even speed on the work-zone. :cool:

anyhow, i have seen increasingly discussion about the subject of "traffic tickets should be listed or not".

I guess it is subject to individual. After all, it is your N400 application. Do whatever you want, and I, for sure, care less about it. :)

ocworker said:
I guess it is subject to individual. After all, it is your N400 application. Do whatever you want, and I, for sure, care less about it. :)

Absolutely! After 5 pages of posts on this, who cares? Each person, do what you want. You are the one signing the application...

Superho said:
Absolutely! After 5 pages of posts on this, who cares? Each person, do what you want. You are the one signing the application...

well, it is not just this specific thread. the general "you-say-i-say" related with the traffic tickets exist everytime when someone brings it up. I do not understand why it is an issue at all when the form requires the person to list all citations. but again, geez, i reported the traffic tickets during the interview (well, i did not report it on the form), and the most important thing is.. I got my US citizenship! :D

Traffic ticket does not count and there is no need to report it on N400 form. Both lawyers and CIS officer have confirm ed it many times. It is totally irrelevant to the naturlization process, which looks for crimes and moral turpitude.

Please don't overinterpret the law and try to split hair here.

ocworker said:
geez, i reported the traffic tickets during the interview (well, i did not report it on the form), and the most important thing is.. I got my US citizenship! :D
What did the officer say when you reported the traffic tickets during the interview?

naturalizer123 said:
Traffic ticket does not count and there is no need to report it on N400 form. Both lawyers and CIS officer have confirm ed it many times. It is totally irrelevant to the naturlization process, which looks for crimes and moral turpitude.

Please don't overinterpret the law and try to split hair here.
I think you are right. Reporting of minor traffic citations may actually mislead the interviewing officer to think that you committed a more serious crime.

NJGoose said:
I think you are right. Reporting of minor traffic citations may actually mislead the interviewing officer to think that you committed a more serious crime.

Right, after all getting a ticket from a cop for speeding does not mean that you were 'cited by a law enforcment officer for any reason' ... otherwise they would have said 'ticket' and 'cop' in the question, wouldn't they?

Anyway, the questions don't have to be answered truthfully, right? You are just required to answer the questions in a way that can help the adjudcation officer to get the 'correct' impression of you. I mean after all that poor guy has to deal with strangers all day ! I am sure the adjudication officer will appreciate that you sort out the facts before so that he/she does not have to make a judgement based on all the facts.

Maybe you should also not list all the places you lived before ... man, with all the zip codes and stuff - that gets to be confusing ! Probably you would list only those addresses you liked ... anyway, if you lived there less than a year you may consider this a minor address change ...

You answer your questions any way you like. Complete or not complete, truthfully or not.

One thing is certain - when you read the question and answer it, you KNOW what you are doing. Your choice ...

Alex

You are absolutely right. We should use common sense. Next time if you approach a traffic light at night and there no vehicles are seen approaching the intersection from the cross road, we can keep going through the intersection. Right? After all the red light is for preventing accidents when the cross traffic is heavy! It is a bit of a gray area. We should each use our individual judgement. And talking of stop signs, well, the intention is to slow traffice not have a "dead" stop. It is really a gray area too. Same with the due date for taxes. 15th April does not mean the midnight of the last working day next to 15th. A day or two late will not make difference. That goes for manythings in life. Cops are after big time crooks a little shoplifting does not make a difference. It is a gray area too.
NJGoose said:

brb2 said:
You are absolutely right. We should use common sense. Next time if you approach a traffic light at night and there no vehicles are seen approaching the intersection from the cross road, we can keep going through the intersection. Right?

Right, as long as you can convince other people that's "common sense", :).

In the legal world, there is no remedy if there is no damage. Keep that in your mind when you think we should take an extremist approach to a common sense question.

Status
Not open for further replies.