Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

thanks for your reply
you comment makes sense.
I am most likely will not list but will mention if i am ask at the interview. I have proof of payment ( my credit card receipt and receipt from the municipal. )

Traffic light cameras are run by the private contractors, hired by Municipality, not by Police Departments.
Moreover, in overwhelming majority of cases (except in CA where they have cameras capturing the image of the driver behind the wheel as well), the ticket is not issued against the individual driver, rather it is issued against the owner of the vehicle.
Because the incident is not witnessed by Police officer, there is no proof who was behind the wheel, therefore the owner of the vehicle will not get points added to driving record and the insurance companies can't use the infraction to raise the rates.
Overall, in its' effects, it is similar to parking ticket, where owner has monetary liability but no points or mention of moving violation in their driving record.

The referenced question of Form N-400 specifically asks if you have ever been cited by any law enforcement officer.
Camera is not a law enforcement officer. Neither are contractors who run it. At best the record of image is reviewed by a municipal police officer , just to endorse that the camera captured the image of the vehicle that was indeed moving in violation of posted signs , but that same officer can't come to court and testify that he witnessed YOU being behind the wheel of that vehicle. Nor is he or she are issuing you the ticket (as opposed to regular traffic stop).

For all the above reasons, I believe that there would be no intentional misrepresentation or concealment of fact if you did not disclose such traffic violations (just as with parking tickets), as opposed to not disclosing the traffic citations that were a result of traffic stop and personally signed and handed citation.

But this is my individual opinion, not a legal advise. For legal advise consult an immigration attorney who is well versed in all aspects of Naturalization law.

Traffic tickets issued by a red light cameras have a (robot) signed sworn statement by a police officer and are therefore as valid as a ticket issued by a real cop. If you ignore it, a warrant of arrest may be issued - it says so on the ticket. At least this is the case in CA.

Traffic tickets issued by a red light cameras have a (robot) signed sworn statement by a police officer and are therefore as valid as a ticket issued by a real cop. If you ignore it, a warrant of arrest may be issued - it says so on the ticket. At least this is the case in CA.

I have mentioned in my reply above that in overwhelming majority of cases (except in CA where they have cameras capturing the image of the driver behind the wheel as well), the ticket is not issued against the individual driver, rather it is issued against the owner of the vehicle.

In California cameras capture the image of the driver as well, not only tags and vehicle. It doesn't simply hold monetarily liable the owner of the car, it charges the individual driver behind the wheel with the infrcation, just like polic officer would during a normal traffic stop.

Therefore, camera tickets issued in CA have different effect that those issued by cameras that do not capture the image of the driver.

No docs needed for fines less than $500

Recently I received the interview letter (I never received the YL though). In the envelop there was an insert specifying documents I need to bring. This appears to be a standard printer letter, not specifically for me. At one point it says following:

NOTE: Unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related or serious personal injury to another person occurred, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less that $500 and/or points on your driver's license.

Hope this will help folks here in determining the documents needed.

Recently I received the interview letter (I never received the YL though). In the envelop there was an insert specifying documents I need to bring. This appears to be a standard printer letter, not specifically for me. At one point it says following:

NOTE: Unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related or serious personal injury to another person occurred, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less that $500 and/or points on your driver's license.

Hope this will help folks here in determining the documents needed.

did you mention traffic ticket in your application?

Traffic tickets and naturalization(threads merged)

Now_N400.,

Just sharing with you, myself i did not get any YL , but I got interview letter only
which was generated on 9/9/2011 , interview date 10/17/2011 , Newark, NJ.

1) should we need to get YL ?

My interview letter have following info.

2) You MUST BRING the following with you to the interview

-> This letter
-> Your Alien Registration Card (green card)
-> Any evidence of Selective Service Registration
-> Your passport and/or any other documents you used in connection
with any entries into the United States
-> Those items noted below which are applicable to you:

If applying for NATURALIZATION AS THE SPOUSE of a United States Citizen;

-> Your marriage certificate
-> Proof fo death or divorce for each prior marriage of yourself or spouse
-> Your spouse's birth or naturalization certificate or certificate of citezenship

if applying for NATURALIZATION as a member of the United States Armed Forces;

-> Your discharge certificate, or form DD 214

If you have any info about info pass, what about passports (old & present of all wife, husband, kids) to be handovered to the officer ?

please pass that info.

thanks in advance.,

usinsuser99

Now_N400.,

Just sharing with you, myself i did not get any YL , but I got interview letter only
which was generated on 9/9/2011 , interview date 10/17/2011 , Newark, NJ.

If you have any info about info pass, what about passports (old & present of all wife, husband, kids) to be handovered to the officer ?

please pass that info.

thanks in advance.,

usinsuser99

Hello usinsuser99,

I am also in the same boat, didn't receive YL.
For passport, I would take all old ones and the current one (only mine).

Applied recently by disclosing 9 minor tickets(< $500 fine and no points). Would that be a concern(towards moral conduct) during the interview?

FYI, had the interview today and passed. IO asked if all listed ones were only traffic tickets looking at the application. She did not see the attached sheet as it was buried underneath. Told her about it and she confirmed one more time if they were all traffic tickets. She did not ask for any other records/dispositions though I had all of them.

PS: Also I did not receive the yellow letter. I don't know if the theory of computer triggering yellow letter based on the answer "yes" is entirely accurate. It could be based on other factors as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
did you mention traffic ticket in your application?

I did not mentioned in the application, but i got 3 speeding tickets, and 1 parking ticket.
I cleared those with fine <$100, Any how I got all court receipts. In case I will explains to
to the Officer.

Thanks
usinsuser99

Congratulations milli.,

I got couple questions, if applied same for Passport, what documents we can prepare before interview ?

should we handover the previous passports to them?

Thanks in advance.,

usinsuser99

Congratulations milli.,

I got couple questions, if applied same for Passport, what documents we can prepare before interview ?

should we handover the previous passports to them?

Thanks in advance.,

usinsuser99

Thanks.

You would need the following

Passport application
Photo
check or money order
Naturalization certificate

You don't have to give them your passports.

OK, This is stupid, but... Help!

I already had my interview today and I didn't realize this problem till now: I did not mention the traffic tickets!!
I had 2 speeding tickets, 1 "failed to give way to..." ticket, and 1 "driving with expired tag" ticket. All paid. (Went to the court for 2, but still paid)
I did not mentioned those on my N-400 and did not mention them during my interview.
I know that was stupid, but somehow it just didn't occur to me that I should mention them.
Is there going to be a problem at some point? How should I make it up? Thank you.

cashed check as a proof of ticket disposition?

I had 1 speeding ticket, I have the citiation with me, would a copy of the cashed check (got from my bank) be good enough to show what the citation is, and how it was disposed of? Please note I also have the traffic school certificate

I had 7 traffic tickets(4 moving violations)....i did not mention them and they did not ask

If the fine <$500 do we still need to mention it on the N-400 form and mention the fine amount or should we completely ignore mentioning it.. The documentation on this is pretty vague.

Citation YL - What should I bring for Interview?

Hi All,
I received my YL on 11/22; it says to bring:
1- state issued photo id/ DL.
2. 'You indicated in your application that you have been arrested. For these arrests and any other incidents in which you may have been involved, bring original or certified of all arrest records and court dispositions showing how each incident was resolved'

Just for background, I had checked 'Yes' for Question 16 section D, as I had few traffic citations, all under < $500 fine or points. on no 2 above (was never arrested):
Now questions are:
Q1. Is the point no 2 in Yellow letter above, is standard wording for having Yes on question 16?

I got my online driver history for Florida (where I've been living for 10+ years) and mentioned 2 citations mentioned as in record. But later I recalled I also got an other ticket about 11 years ago in NJ, that I did not mention in N-400 app. For this I've now called NJ office and they don't have this citation in record (they keep only 7 year of citation record or so). They provided me in a fax the old citation is paid (no certified history, however is available from them). Moreover, I also received a parking ticket for $250 fine in FL about 8+ years ago, that did not showed up in drivers history and I did not mention in N-400. I don't have any record for this citation.

So...
Q2. Should I inform at interview about above two tickets which were missed to be mentioned?
Q3. For these citations, I've a fax for NJ ticket and Florida Driver record that I received from DMV office (none of these are certified), will this be enough as proof to satisfy for YL point 2 above?

Thanks for your answers to above.

Employment based GC: Took 4+ years for I-484 due to lengthy background check;
SPOUSE'S & MINE (Oakland Park/Ft. Lauderdale), Florida
- 09/27/2011: N-400 APPLICATION SENT
- 09/29/2011: N-400 APPLICATION RECEIVED / PD
- 10/03/2011: NOA DATE
- 10/07/2011: CHECK CASHED
- 10/07/2011: NOA RECEIVED
- 10/25/2011: FINGERPRINT NOTICE MAILED
- 10/28/2011: FP NOTICE RECEIVED (11/21 APPT)
- 11/01/2011: FP Done (Walk In)
- 11/03/2011: Online Status Changed to In Line for Interview
- 11/22/2011: YL RECEIVED (DL and Citation Record)
- 12/06/2011: INTERVIEW LETTER RECEIVED
- 01/10/2012: INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT DATE
- XX/XX/2011: OATH APPOINTMENT DATE

Traffic citations

Happy new year to all the Folks here in the forum .

Had a question on traffic tickets .. its probably beaten to death multiple times ,please accept my apologies if that's the case .

I have one traffic tkt , less than $500 fine and my wife has 3 , all less than $500 fines .

Now the questions :

1.Should i Disclose the traffic tickets Only for the last 5 years (Since becoming an LPR ) or even Prior ??

2. I have all the Online Receipts for the fines from the courts .Would that suffice or do i still need disposition letters for all the tickets ?

Thanks & have a great day .

Depends on how much tolerance you have with your blood pressure :). I had couple of traffic tickets and so did my wife. After we sent the form, we learnt about this confusion, so of course we didn't declare. Seeing the forums and web posts, my BP was high before the interview, worrying about what may happen. We had court dispositions and letters in the interview folder and would have been truthful if asked. Someone had said on this forum that if you are denied citizenship on this ground, it was not worth getting it in the first place. That was a turning point for me. I prayed to God and went :)

Interview went like a breeze. IO said "your background looks great..no arrests..etc etc.." and said "approved"...so I chanted God's name and thanked him!

My only advise: Do what you think is right and leave the rest to God!