Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

SqlServer said:
Looks like, you have started where other guy left. do you want to get banned again?

I know. It is sad that people listen to wrong advice here and cause delays for everyone. And they keep coming back to hurt others. They really should be banned from this board, in my opinion.

Its not a question of traffic violation.Its a matter of witholding information from the law.
Go through the link shribuy has posted to ron's website, before u mislead people..

naturalizer said:
What if the mail of AR -11 is lost in the mail, and you will deport that person or put into jail? What you listed here is not petty, the person has other serious matter involved. I suggest that you read the case in its entirety before opining your big mouth.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>these points are again taken from official uscis documents explaining the present laws to the senate.
Well,i gues u probably are a step above the law? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
query11. said:
Its not a question of traffic violation.Its a matter of witholding information from the law.
Go through the link shribuy has posted to ron's website, before u mislead people..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>these points are again taken from official uscis documents explaining the present laws to the senate.
Well,i gues u probably are a step above the law? :D[/QUOTE

Withholding what? Not providing what is not asked is not withholding anything. You don't dump everything going on in your family on N400, do you? So who do you then provide irrelevant things and accuse others. It is high time you stop misleading people here. Look at the original post, probably a victim of your nonsense opinion.

query11. said:

Well,i gues u probably are a step above the law? :D

What point? The point is that not filing AR 11 will not cause deportation. It does in your imagination.

$500 rule

Could anyone please direct me to the official link where it says that only tickets above $500 need to be mentioned?

Thanks

suresh_colo said:
Could anyone please direct me to the official link where it says that only tickets above $500 need to be mentioned?

Thanks

No traffic tickets need to be mentioned except DUI or other arrest/crime. Don't waste your time listening to Query11. Who have been using multiple IDs to mislead people.

naturalizer123 said:
No traffic tickets need to be mentioned except DUI or other arrest/crime. Don't waste your time listening to Query11. Who have been using multiple IDs to mislead people.
Whether or not one needs to report non-DUI traffic tickets is becoming a believe on this forum. One way or another, you won't get denied. But if you believe that reporting is required by law, then do yourself a favor: make sure that you get payment receipts for all your tickets and bring them to the interview. Otherwise your application may be delayed.

This topic wasnt about DUI, citations and other ticket crap that you're discussing. It was about missing evidence cases and the time it usually takes to finalize these cases.

NJGoose said:
Whether or not one needs to report non-DUI traffic tickets is becoming a believe on this forum. One way or another, you won't get denied. But if you believe that reporting is required by law, then do yourself a favor: make sure that you get payment receipts for all your tickets and bring them to the interview. Otherwise your application may be delayed.

How do you get a payment receipt for a ticket that you got 4 or 5 years ago? Is it possible to request a list of all of your tickets and the disposition (including the dates where you paid all of them)?

suresh_colo said:
How do you get a payment receipt for a ticket that you got 4 or 5 years ago? Is it possible to request a list of all of your tickets and the disposition (including the dates where you paid all of them)?

It will take a lot of your time researching all DMV sites, calling, and figure out how to get it, and pay for it. Of course, collecting all these wastes are long term habit for some members of this forum, such as query11. So you are not alone.

Proof of payment for Traffic Tickets

I did declare the traffic tickets I got over the years (moving violations and not DUI's) and also got my driving records from two states where I got the tickets and planning to show them as proof that all the tickets/cases have been taken care of. The questions I have are:

Question 1: Since the IO is looking for PROOF of payment of Traffic Tickets, will the DMV driving records suffice to lend this proof since if I have any outstanding tickets (moving violations) they should show on the driving records? I would imagine the only thing the DMV can provide is the driving record??

Question 2: Is the IO looking for actual receipts? If so will the traffic courts clerk office provide this information?

Please advice.

I'm not a lawyer, don't take anything I say too seriously.

Before I submitted my N-400, a lawyer that I consulted said to me: "make sure that you list all your moving violations under the 'citation' question; two of my clients were questioned during their interview about this, so I always recommend that you include your tickets". That was a good enough reason for me to do it.

I've had 6 tickets since I learned to drive in 1976 - I'm kind of counting on them really only asking about the two I've had in the last 10 years. I have a "driving record" document from the state that I live in that shows those two violations and that my record is currently "clean". I'm hoping that that is good enough.

It's always tricky -- you want to answer all questions completely and truthfully, but you never want to ask a question that wasn't asked. Why open the door.

My wife has had her interview (and oath). She had a slightly cleaner driving record. Questions about her driving record (beyond the IO asking about her answers on each page of the N400) never came up. That's what I'm hoping for.

Anyways, that's my opinion. When I finish my interview, I'll let you know if I was right.

Oh well

Link to N400 instruction about traffic tic

here is the link to N400 instruction. Go to page 2 and read the question 'what do I send with my application?'

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/n-400ins.pdf

I did mention my parking and traffic tickets that fall under '$500 or less and no arrest' on N400 just to be on the safe side. I also included the receipt of payment along with copy of ticket...however I do not have court disposition....Do I have to get a letter from Court?

Thanks guys

PD 09/01/2006
FP 09/29/2006 (Hackensack)

Traffic Tickets - Proof

I called the Traffic Court in San Jose this morning and explained to them my request for a history of all the tickets I had and the court disposition. I was told to contact the court clerk (ie stand in the 3 hr line) and fill in a form with my driver licence, name etc and will get a copy of the court record. I called another the traffic court in another state (Michigan) where I recall getting a ticket 9 years ago and they too checked my record and are sending me a copy of the court record. It did not take much time to make these two calls (but then I had tickets only in these two states and knew the city where I got the tickets). Since I declared almost all of the traffic tickets I got (about 6 in the last 15 years) I plan to atleast show the IO my driving record and the court records...that too if asked. Not to rat hole further on the "to declare or not to declare" traffic tickets, IMHO its better to declare and get proof (and get piece of mind) rather than lying under the oath.

kbalabha65 said:
Question 1: Since the IO is looking for PROOF of payment of Traffic Tickets, will the DMV driving records suffice to lend this proof since if I have any outstanding tickets (moving violations) they should show on the driving records? I would imagine the only thing the DMV can provide is the driving record??

Question 2: Is the IO looking for actual receipts? If so will the traffic courts clerk office provide this information?

Please advice.

Q1: No, a DMV driving record is not a payment receipt and is not a sufficient evidence.
Q2: Yes, get a receipt from the traffic court. The traffic court clerk may wonder why you need an old ticket receipt for your naturalization. He might tell you that he never heard of this before. Just tell him that you need to show your good moral character.

Last edited by a moderator:
kbalabha65 said:
I did declare the traffic tickets I got over the years (moving violations and not DUI's) and also got my driving records from two states where I got the tickets and planning to show them as proof that all the tickets/cases have been taken care of. The questions I have are:

Please advice.

No they will not provide such information. So unfortunately if you do show these (which is not needed), you have to dig out all dollar amount, even if it is $5. Again all these record are useless, anyway.

Flydog said:
I'm not a lawyer, don't take anything I say too seriously.

Before I submitted my N-400, a lawyer that I consulted said to me: "make sure that you list all your moving violations under the 'citation' question; two of my clients were questioned during their interview about this, so I always recommend that you include your tickets". That was a good enough reason for me to do it.

I've had 6 tickets since I learned to drive in 1976 - I'm kind of counting on them really only asking about the two I've had in the last 10 years. I have a "driving record" document from the state that I live in that shows those two violations and that my record is currently "clean". I'm hoping that that is good enough.

It's always tricky -- you want to answer all questions completely and truthfully, but you never want to ask a question that wasn't asked. Why open the door.

My wife has had her interview (and oath). She had a slightly cleaner driving record. Questions about her driving record (beyond the IO asking about her answers on each page of the N400) never came up. That's what I'm hoping for.

Anyways, that's my opinion. When I finish my interview, I'll let you know if I was right.

Oh well

Sure, you just said it: Questions about her driving record (beyond the IO asking about her answers on each page of the N400) never came up. That's what I'm hoping for.

Do you know why? Need a hint? Explain to me why questions about driving record should come up in a natuarlization interview.

NJGoose said:
Q1: No, a DMV driving record is not a payment receipt and is not a sufficient evidence.
Q2: Yes, get a receipt from the traffic court. The traffic court clerk may wonder why you need an old ticket receipt for your naturalization. He might tell you that he never heard of this before. Just tell him that you need to show your good moral character.

Remember also tell them that in addition to moral characters, you are requesting a piece of crap and you will pay for it.