Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

My 2 Cents

Well, my friend just passed his interview last week.
He got a speeding ticket in Year 1998 and paid $75.
He did not claim it on N-400, since the attorney said 'NO'.
But, he still get a driving record from Illinois Secreatry Of State,
and paid statement from the court.

When he had an interview, he mentioned it to IO,
and IO said "You don't have to report minor traffic ticket...
since you did, then I have to check you have paid it".
My friend showed IO all documents and passed interview.

If it's a minor traffic ticket, you don't have to report it...
Both the attorey and IO say that!
If you insist to report it,
please get all document to prove that you have paid it off!

Discuss this question might cause WWIII... :cool:

moneypig said:
Well, my friend just passed his interview last week.
He got a speeding ticket in Year 1998 and paid $75.
He did not claim it on N-400, since the attorney said 'NO'.
But, he still get a driving record from Illinois Secreatry Of State,
and paid statement from the court.

When he had an interview, he mentioned it to IO,
and IO said "You don't have to report minor traffic ticket...
since you did, then I have to check you have paid it".
My friend showed IO all documents and passed interview.

If it's a minor traffic ticket, you don't have to report it...
Both the attorey and IO say that!
If you insist to report it,
please get all document to prove that you have paid it off!

Discuss this question might cause WWIII... :cool:[/QUOTE]
Not anymore,those times are gone all the waging parties on trafic tickets are banned...i was banned too but i never argued over a traffic ticket... :D

traffic tickets and travel outside after interview

Hi guys,

any one with experience with getting traffic tickets ( paid) and traveling outside ( less than 20 days on business) after interview:

1- What proofs did they ask you at the time of oath? The oath letter does not ask for any proof.
Will a copy of the ticket and paid check enough as a proof for the paid ticket or get DMV report?

How about travel, I do not have a copy of the tickets; will the stamps on the passport be enough for them?

Any input from will be appreciated.

Thanks

traffic ticket questions

Guys, This is probably an old topic, but I still want to ask around
for my specific situation:

Got 3 traffic ticket over the course of 9 years:

1. 1998: speeding ticket (4 points), paid the fine. But cannot find the ticket or payment info anymore. It happened in a different state from where I lived,
and there was no county information on DMV record. (therefore I cannot
find the court record).
2. 2000: fail to obey traffic sign (4 points) Paid the fine. and requesting the
court record right now.
3. 2002: probably fail to obey traffic sign (didn't see the U turn sign
after 6PM. :( Went to traffic school and cleared the record, and requesting the court record right now.

I have disclosed the first two instance during GC interview since they
occurred before that point. So I figure I need to disclose it on N-400 again.

questions:

A. Do you guys think 3 tickets over 8 years are too many?

B. I will probably not be able to find the 1'st ticket's court record. The only
proof I have is that on DMV record there is a disposition (guilty since I
paied the fine). Do I need to call the entire counties in that State to
try to find it?

C. Can I disclose the traffic citations instances on N-400 form first, but
bring the court record, DMV record during interview? Kind of want to
send in the application sooner instead of wait for those documentations.
Or I must attach the original documents with the N-400 application.

Wife is living abroad with the kid, and really hope to get the citizenship ASAP so that my family can reunite.

Any honest comment will be greatly appreciated.

For question a,if u surf around u will find a guy a who had posted a few months ago who had like 6-7 tickets...
i myself had 2 tickets,3 is not a issue...they dont care for traffic tickets as long as u have put it in the application taken care of them...

A. Do you guys think 3 tickets over 8 years are too many?

It is too many for your auto insurance, but not for your N-400 application. I think CIS would rank you as above average moral character in terms of your driving practice.

B. I will probably not be able to find the 1'st ticket's court record. The only
proof I have is that on DMV record there is a disposition (guilty since I
paied the fine). Do I need to call the entire counties in that State to
try to find it?

CIS has told everyone that one does not need to report a minor traffic ticket with a fine of less than $500. If you are not able to obtain court record, then don't report it nor mention it during the interview, otherwise the interview officer may ask you for a payment receipt.

C. Can I disclose the traffic citations instances on N-400 form first, but
bring the court record, DMV record during interview? Kind of want to
send in the application sooner instead of wait for those documentations.
Or I must attach the original documents with the N-400 application.

No, don't do that. There is a good chance that you may not be able to obtain a court record or payment receipt.

Wife is living abroad with the kid, and really hope to get the citizenship ASAP so that my family can reunite.

Then don't waste your time on your traffic tickets.

guys, thanks for taking time to answer my Qs..
NJgoose, yep.. I can tell u no one will ever be jealous about my insurance bill.. :)

Well since I have reported it during the GC interview 5 years
ago (these instances happened before I got the GC), I bet it's on the record
and I better disclose it this time.

Another Q is, in the outcome/disposition of the citation, what should I write?
the DMV records says 'guilty'.. should I use that word? or should I also
say "fine paid". Also as for 'why were you cited', should I put down something
like "traffic citation: speeding", "fail to obey traffic sign" as from the DMV
record?

Reporting Traffic ticket in N-400

My suggestion:

Dont report in N-400 unless the fine was excessive (I've heard $500, and then also $150, have your pick). Why? if you make it official, then be prepared to provide proof.

Next:

Since you are a forum participant, and care to be well informed, as a CYA, call the 800 number, speak to a rep, note the response and time of call on a piece of paper (documentation).

Now:
At the interview, when the interviewer asks the question 'have you been...cited....' - mention it. It will remain unofficial.

If you can:
Get records from DMV from the states you have had tickets in, for the past 10 years.

Peace!

help4all said:
My suggestion:

Dont report in N-400 unless the fine was excessive (I've heard $500, and then also $150, have your pick). Why? if you make it official, then be prepared to provide proof.

Next:

Since you are a forum participant, and care to be well informed, as a CYA, call the 800 number, speak to a rep, note the response and time of call on a piece of paper (documentation).

Now:
At the interview, when the interviewer asks the question 'have you been...cited....' - mention it. It will remain unofficial.

If you can:
Get records from DMV from the states you have had tickets in, for the past 10 years.

Peace!
if u follow the posters advice and do not put ur tickets on the application(obviously ur ticket is going to be less than 500$),& make sure u get a confirmation from dmv/court house that u took care of the ticket.
whoa,isnt this just the opposite of what uscis wants u to do? :D :confused:

beaten to pulp beyond death

this traffic ticket issue has beaten to death and beyond death to after life too.

In short if you do not have a Felony charge don't bother, its not worth mentioning.

If you do mention then have the documentation in order to backup eveyhting you have disclosed.

People,
is this the begining of another SAGA????

:D :D

i am not commenting on this issue in this thread anymore,but i do want the op to be well aware of the circumstances.

Declare your tickets.As simple as that,there is no where the uscis has asked the applicants not to declare traffic tickets.
Plz stop misleading innocent applicants.They have put in years to get to this stage.

query11. said:
Declare your tickets.As simple as that,there is no where the uscis has asked the applicants not to declare traffic tickets.
Plz stop misleading innocent applicants.They have put in years to get to this stage.
CIS does not want to and cannot say that one does not need to report traffic tickets on the N-400 because drunkards may think or make up an excuse that they don't have to report DUI (driving under influence) traffic tickets. We all know that CIS is not interested in occasional minor traffic tickets. But if one reports a traffic ticket, an interview officer may feel obliged to ask for a payment receipt in order to close the book on the moral character issue.

NJGoose said:
CIS does not want to and cannot say that one does not need to report traffic tickets on the N-400 because drunkards may think or make up an excuse that they don't have to report DUI (driving under influence) traffic tickets. We all know that CIS is not interested in occasional minor traffic tickets. But if one reports a traffic ticket, an interview officer may feel obliged to ask for a payment receipt in order to close the book on the moral character issue.

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=222161 said:
Yup, it is not a big deal. I would recommend to reveal that during the interview though. Bring proof of payment etc. I forgot to mention the minor traffic violation I had received in 2005 on my N-400 and the IO was pleased that I volunteered the information. He said it was no problem. Yet, so he said, if they had found out about it without me revealing it, it would have been an issue.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Legal

Based on the small sample of poll results thus far, if you're going to mention traffic tickets on the N-400, there's about a 50 percent chance that you'll have to show court dispositions to the IO.

Questions to check for traffic ticket

Hi,
I am new to the forum, and planning to apply for citizenship based 5 year GC period. I want to mention about 2 traffic tickets (one dismissed and for other withheld,I paid $235) I got but I am not sure which questions I should check between follwing 3 questions.

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

17. Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense?

18. Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense?

I will appreciate your input very much.

Regards,
Srini

16. Yes for citation - if traffic ticket is a citation in your case.
all else No.
Also, you could possibly say No to all three questions, and mention traffic ticket at interview. In any case, have proof of payment.