Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Here's excerpt from AILA's Liason Meeting in Texas in July 2013:

4. Some members have expressed concern about the practice of AO’s asking for dispositions for all traffic tickets in naturalization cases. Page 5 of the N-400 instructions clearly states: “Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driver's license.”

Can you please clarify whether the local office recognizes this distinction, or whether it is putting in place a new policy that is contrary to the N-400 instructions?

USCIS Response:
Houston follows all required policies, including Naturalization Quality Procedures (NQP), which relevantly states:
Officers are required to request certified court dispositions for the following:
All arrests/convictions for criminal acts committed during the statutory period;
Any arrest/convictions for any crimes where the applicant would still be on probation at the time of adjudication of the N-400 or may
have served 180 days incarceration during the statutory period.If there is a concern about what is requested, bring it up to a Supervisor before you leave the building.

So the USCIS' statement indicates that the AOs should not be asking for dispositions/receipts for traffic violations, as they only explicitly refer to arrests/convictions for crimes. Seems like even the agency itself doesn't have a standardized procedure in place, when it comes to traffic tickets.

Hi ALL,

I am panic about what happened to me.

On N-400 form one question is
"Have you ever been arrested,cited or detained by any law enforcement officer?"

I answered "NO" because I did not know that "CITED" means "Driving Ticket" too. Actually I supposed to answer "Yes".

I got that Traffic ticket/ driving ticket 3 years ago before filing my N-400 application.

I passed my Citizenship interview 5 months ago & waiting for oath ceremony letter.

At interview when the officer went all over the N-400 application , he did not ask me about traffic ticket.

Traffic ticket was "Improper left turn & I lost 2 points"
After getting my US citizenship (after oath), IF BCIS FIND OUT LATER THAT I LIED(it was not intentional, I did not know) on N-400, then WILL they REVOKE my CITIZENSHIP.

WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW???????????????????

Patel,
I know this happened long ago, but I'm curious to know the outcome if you do not mind sharing. Did you eventually get an oath ceremony letter?

How can I get a print off of my traffic tickets. I have about 4 in two states. Cause I don't remember dates to complete N400 page 16. Thanks

You can send request the respective department to release your driving records. They will give you dates of your tickets, if they don't give you any dates, it means its been cleared from your record, so you don't have to worry about it, just write rough estimated dates.
I am not a lawyer, just a layman person. Just trying to help you

[QUOTEso much. Shaam, post: 2363756, member: 200988"]You can send request the respective department to release your driving records. They will give you dates of your tickets, if they don't give you any dates, it means its been cleared from your record, so you don't have to worry about it, just write rough estimated dates.
I am not a lawyer, just a layman person. Just trying to help you[/QUOTE]
ThAnk u do

Hi everyone-

I have some old tickets (older than 7 years) and I cannot find them in my DMV / Driving Record for Traffic Tickets. Should I mention these tickets on my application because they do not show up in my report. They are all very minor no turn on red tickets. I have 3 of them :( Is it a very bed situation and will it impact my citizenship?

having ticket is not bad, lying to immigration officer is bad. Mention in your application about your ticket, if you don't remember the exact date then try Month and Year. Take DMV record with you, so that to show them you took care of all of them.

I had same situation too, but my ticket were around 5 yrs old and it doesn't show on my driving record. I did mention my tickets on my application, immigration officer ask me the original driving record from DMV. She didn't say anything after that, and I got my citizenship...... good luck on your interview

having ticket is not bad, lying to immigration officer is bad. Mention in your application about your ticket, if you don't remember the exact date then try Month and Year. Take DMV record with you, so that to show them you took care of all of them.

I had same situation too, but my ticket were around 5 yrs old and it doesn't show on my driving record. I did mention my tickets on my application, immigration officer ask me the original driving record from DMV. She didn't say anything after that, and I got my citizenship...... good luck on your interview

Thanks for the info. I am 100% sure that I have 3 tickets but I only see 1 ticket in my driving record/report that I received from DMV. I made little research and it tells that certain violations stay in your record for certain years. I know that DMV does not include it in my report but does immigration office request more detailed report from them? I do not have the original tickets or payment information so I cannot really find what they were. I even do not remember the exact year :( I agree with being honest so I will include the current one but still cannot figure out what I will do with others.

Hi, I know this has been asked a few times but wanted to confirm. I have two tickets
1. Parking violation in 2010 that I contested in the court and won. It did not pay any fine
2. Speeding ticket in 2013. Paid a fine of about $67.

Should I say yes to question 23? And mention them in the details. Or I should not mention at all.

Please let me know.

Thanks

traffic ticket

Hi,

How about I got a traffic ticket after I did the figerprint and still waiting for the interview, if they ask whether I have been cited, how should I answer it?

Thanks,
What do you mean, how should u answer it? Just speak the truth. Say yes, and explain yourself. That will not prevent u from naturilizing.

Yes, say YES and explain, what kind of action you took. In your case you already resolved your issue by paying your fine

My two cents. I had two traffic tickets, however when I filled out the application I answered "no" to the question. Today I went to the interview, and was asked if I ever was arrested. I said that I wasn't arrested, however I have 2 traffic tickets, both under $500. The interviewer just said: "so just traffic tickets but no arrests?" I confirmed. He moved onto the next question. And I was approved.

I have three traffic tickets which I did not mention on the application but was asked if I had any in the interview and said yes. I told him I had scheduled a hearing and I will be taking care of it. He said I won't be able to do my citizenship until I go to court, or pay the fines to clear them. I agree to pay them after the interview. He would continue with the interview but asking me to pay those tickets and bring him the proof. If I don't my process will be incomplete and I won't be schedule for the ceremony.

You do NOT have to list traffic citations on the N-400 form. Visit the USCIS Office of Communications questions and answers article posted July 29, 2008.
Question: What documentation is USCIS looking for on N-400 applications for clients who have traffic citations only (no arrests), such as speeding tickets? This is in reference to the Good Moral Character section, question 16, which asks if you have ever been arrested, cited, etc. Also, what is expected at the N-400 interview regarding these traffic tickets?
Response: Typically if an individual only has minor traffic citations with no arrests resulting (i.e. speeding tickets), they will not be required to submit any additional information with the N-400. However, if, during the course of the interview, an adjudications officer determines that there are

T
You do NOT have to list traffic citations on the N-400 form. Visit the USCIS Office of Communications questions and answers article posted July 29, 2008.
Question: What documentation is USCIS looking for on N-400 applications for clients who have traffic citations only (no arrests), such as speeding tickets? This is in reference to the Good Moral Character section, question 16, which asks if you have ever been arrested, cited, etc. Also, what is expected at the N-400 interview regarding these traffic tickets?
Response: Typically if an individual only has minor traffic citations with no arrests resulting (i.e. speeding tickets), they will not be required to submit any additional information with the N-400. However, if, during the course of the interview, an adjudications officer determines that there are

This only means you do not need additional documentation. You still have to mention the traffic ticket.

Questions is Do we say yes to just Part 12 Line 23 , or also 24,25,26 ?

Just going to share my experience:

Got a speeding ticket back in late 2008. Only traffic citation I received while living here.

I didn't think of it when filling out the N400 so checked "No" on the form.

At my interview the officer came to that question and I verified that no, I did not have any arrests or citations. She then asked about traffic tickets. The 2008 incident popped in my head and I told her about it saying, "I didn't think of that when filling out the form." She said that's fine and then asked if I paid it off and whether it was DUI related. I told her I did pay it (I think it was around $200 but admitted I couldn't remember for sure) and that no, it wasn't DUI related. She then just clicked a couple of things on her computer and moved on. Didn't ask for records or anything.

Based on that experience I don't think they really care about traffic tickets (and checking my interview notice it says as much in regards to the documents you need to bring) since she dismissed it, but are obviously more concerned if its DUI related, or if you haven't paid them yet. I'm sort of surprised she didn't want any evidence about it not being DUI related or whether I paid it. I guess it might be safe to get those records (if possible) just in case.

I had 2 tickets and paid them off which were under 500$. I dont remember the dates. I called my local DMV and there are no records. So, if I say yes, what should I fill in the dates, outcome etc?