Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Since it wasn't actually a 'reckless' ticket, your situation is much improved, even though that was one heck of a fine. Sounds like you were lucky to get off with just a big fine.

You'll need to include full documentation of the citation's disposition when you need in your N-400, and almost certainly a good idea to take the same info to your interview.

Could anybody clarify what is the definition for "reckless" driving? Could we find out this based on the ticket we received? For example, if it is a speeding ticket, we know it from the ticket itself.

Thanks.

I_Citizen said:
I got a traffic ticket 3 years ago for speeding over 100mph in California. The fine was about $650 and 2 points on my driving record. No DUI/alcohol was involved.

I understand from this forum that I need to mention this on my application form. Do you think that this will adversely affect my application?

I searched on this forum but did not find similar cases. Does anybody know of anybody else who had similar issue?

Do I need to contact immigration lawyer for this?

Please help!

/I_Citizen
First of all collect all documentation regarding the ticket. Court Certified Disposition, Proof pf payment etc.

Then make a decision as to whether to file using the old N-400 or new. In the old you don't have to mention the ticket whereas in the new form you do,

I personally don't believe that you will be rejected citizenship because of $650.00 ticket. You must set up a consulation with a lawyer BEFORE you apply.

ForCitizenship said:
Could anybody clarify what is the definition for "reckless" driving? Could we find out this based on the ticket we received? For example, if it is a speeding ticket, we know it from the ticket itself.

Thanks.

Here is California's definition (23103 VC). The key point would be that "reckless" in California is a criminal conviction, whereas the lesser charge "excessive speeding" is only a civil infraction.

Luckily theirs is not so rigidly specified as Virginia's - which is any time you are caught 20mph or more over the posted limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply.

boatbod, based on your explanation, in CA, "reckless" traffic violation and "criminal" traffic violation basically is the same.

I believe that to be the case, but since I'm not a lawyer or even a CA resident, you shouldn't take my word for it.

While researching the problem I did come across some interesting discussions. The keywords I used for google were "california reckless speeding definition".

boatbod said:
Since when does claiming ignorance of the law constitute a valid excuse? I seriously doubt this tactic would hold much weight in front of a judge.

By the way, was it really necessary to post the same advice in 7 separate threads? :rolleyes:
boatbod's right where he states that it is not necessary to post the same advice in 7 separate threads.

However, I don't believe that by filling out the old N-400, one is claiming ignorance of law. Merely they are not reporting the traffic ticket as it is ok in the old N-400.

Even though mrputin has posted this thread sveral times, I think he is doing everyone a big favor by giving us access to the Old N-400, thereby setting the traffic ticket issue once and for all.

Certainly what you decide to declare is down to individual judgment - unfortunately though, the current instructions require you to mention everything. Would you send a $390 application fee simply because thats what the old instructions say? I think you'd find yourself SOL...

At the end of the day, the whole thing depends upon the interviewing officer. If they want to ask about tickets they will.

boatbod said:
Certainly what you decide to declare is down to individual judgment - unfortunately though, the current instructions require you to mention everything. Would you send a $390 application fee simply because thats what the old instructions say? I think you'd find yourself SOL...

At the end of the day, the whole thing depends upon the interviewing officer. If they want to ask about tickets they will.
Yes, you are right. If the IO decides to ask then you can get in trouble. Therefore whether you use the old N-400 or New N-400 get all ticket documentation. If documentation/sreen print is not possible then explain during the interview since the amount is less that $500.00 and not DUI related so it should be fine.

help! Going to get traffic ticket for toll problem. What should I do?

Hi everyone

Yesterday on my way to JFK I ran out of cash and when I went to the toll booth the girl told me I would get a ticket in the mail. My interview is on March 8th, and I'm pretty sure I won't get the ticket on time for the interview. What should I do ? Should I report it to the interview officer? And should I expect any delays because of the ticket for my oath?

I'd appreciate any help ! I'm stressing out because of this :(

I dont think its like a speeding ticket or something. But I guess its just a bill from the port authority. Just pay it off. It wont be a problem for sure.

you didnt sped away from the booth, otherwise it could have been worse. :)

You could just mention it and see what happens. Most likely, the IO won't even care since it's not a DUI or something really bad.

I listed my citation (tail light out) in the appplication and the IO didn't even look at it or say anything about it.

Don't worry...just pay it when the ticket arrives and you should be fine.

No record of traffic ticket

I got a traffic ticket in 2000 for speeding (detained, not arrested). Since it was my first ticket, went to court, paid fine, and it was taken off the record. Now there is no record of it with Maryland DMV. Unfortunately I did not keep the receipt.

Me thinks, best thing to do is to list it on N 400 and say that the local DMV does not have a record of it.

Any thoughts on whether it 's the right thing to do? Thanks

Webcam