Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

11)For your interview:
a)there is a lot of debate about tickets,but since i am creating this thread i am going to give you my personal advice.
Please notify about all tickets on the application and most important of all go to your courthouse and get a confirmation from them that you have paid the fines duely.

b)Second,please make sure you get a copy of your tax returns for the past 3 years from the irs.You can call them and place order over the phone or go to their website at www.irs.gov

P.S : make it a point to take the above doc's to the interview however,do not be over excited and give the above documents to the interview officer,give it to him/her only if he/she asks for it in the interview.

http://boards.immigrationportal.com...ad.php?t=197782

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=194681

other related helpful links:
To get a good understanding for the n400 process,please see the file
attachment.pdf>>excellent work..please scroll down to find all the attachments.
http://boards.immigrationportal.com...ad.php?t=210936
http://boards.immigrationportal.com...ad.php?t=210521
http://www.immigrationportal.com/sh...ad.php?t=210730
http://boards.immigrationportal.com...ad.php?t=210252

name on gc different from legal name:http://boards.immigrationportal.com...ad.php?t=208838
plans for travelling outside u.s while n400 is in process
http://boards.immigrationportal.com...ad.php?t=200841
oath>http://boards.immigrationportal.com...ad.php?t=202491

Best of luck

I gathered the above info from this forum,so if i am wrong please forgive me and feel free to correct me.
But plz do not sue me if u mess up!

thanks in advance

Yara_Dildara said:
i wrote it? r u insane too?

regardless of who wrote that and what was discussed before, the matter is what is correct now based upon instructions on form n-400. im not going to jump in the ocean if everyone would jump, so if u want to believe on other people's information then it is yr choice. i will follow instructions given by uscis.

Waht are you talking about?

Yara_Dildara said:
if traffic tickets have no relevancy to naturalization then why do people even bother to disclose it on n-400? and why are you even talking about it then? why officers want to see then whether traffic tickets are paid or not?

People only bother to list traffic tickets after listening to people like you, who advise them to do so. And officers want to see if tickets were paid or not only after the tickets were mentioned on the application. I haven't seen a single case where a person did not mention a ticket and was asked about it.

Yara_Dildara said:
its not about listening to me and other people like me, instead it is about following the instructions on form n-400 and telling things being honest and under penalty of perjury.

do and feel what you like for the peace of your mind, but if ever something would go wrong in the future for this little stuff then u will remember my this words, even many yrs later.

I agree.

rwsh said:
There have been numerous (endless???) discussions about traffic violations. The most definitive discussion I have seen is this reference:

<b> <i> “Disregard for Traffic Regulations Could Result in the Denial of US Citizenship, ABA Section of International Law, Summer 2005, Volume VIII, Issue 3” </i> </b>

Written by Ileana McAlary who is an immigration lawyer with Miller Johnson.

It is on-line (see page 10) at:

http://www.abanet.org/intlaw/commit...ffic regulations citizenship McAlary Johnson"

Would this data be worth capturing in the FAQ or similar? Having said all of that, don’t forget that documentation is NOT required if no arrest and the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or license points. Reference: Form N-400 Instructions. Page 2.

Is it definitive?

Yara_Dildara said:
one more thing. reporting traffic tickets/citations is not a law/rule, it is immigration's internal policy to determine moral character. immigration can ask anything they want if it would be relevant to application.

You make no sense at all. Now you are saying it is not a law/rule. But earlier you said in the same thread it is required by the law to report traffic ticket.

Yara_Dildara said:
i said-reporting traffic tickets are required to report as per the instructions on n-400. i didn't say that it is required by matter of law.

sorry. i won't entertain u anymore cuz i dont have time for those who cannot even read and understand. ciao.

If it is not required by law, it means that not reporting it is not violating any law. Is it your opinion then?

Yara_Dildara said:
reporting traffic tickets is not a law. but proving a good moral character is a law. uscis has made its own policy on how to determine a moral character. and for that, they ask if a traffic ticket was ever issued, if any crime was committed, if ever failed to file required tax returns, if ever lied on any immigration application to gain immigration benefit (which people will do if they fail to do report all traffic tickets and other required info), if ever participated in prostitution; illegal gambling, failed to pay child support to dependent children, deliberately failed to register selective service, etc. These are the criteria immigration has set up for determining moral character of a person which is the most important criteria for naturalization. That means applicants has no choice except being totally honest about all the required stuffs that immigration wants to know.

Thank you for spending time typing out all these garbage. We really appreciate your personal biased opinion in this issue.

Yara_Dildara said:
reporting traffic tickets is not a law.

dude, no reason to be so hyperventilating on this small of an issue.

Remember, you don't have the absolute truth, and more often than not you don't have the truth at all.

cheer.

traffic tickets documentation

I will be eligible to file N-400 in early January 2007, based on 5 years as an LPR.

I live in Illinois since the summer of 2000, and before that I was in New Jersey for 4 years. I have not had any traffic tickets for the last 6 years, but I did have 3 tickets, non-DUI, in the 90s: one for a red light (New York city), one for speeding (somewhere in Nebraska or Iowa) and one for not making a complete stop at a stop sign (New Jersey). I had a NJ driver's licence at that time.

The problem is that I did not keep any records regarding these tickets and in all but one case I don't remember the exact dates.
In the case of a speeding ticket I am not even sure about the state; I got it somewhere on I-80, either in Iowa or Nebraska, driving from the west to New Jersey in 1998.
My NJ bank account (which I used to write checks to pay for these tickets) has been closed since 2000 and by now these violtions have been expunged from my driving record in New Jersey. Moreover, my NJ licence was cancelled after I moved to Illinois in 2000 and got an Illinois driver's licence.

I think that I do have to mention these tickets in response to question D.16 on N-400.

I would like to know, based on other people's experiences, if USCIS is going to give me a hard time about the lack of documentation for these traffic tickets.

Thanks!

I ran a survey on this question.

Of those who mentioned traffic citations on the N-400, about 40 percent were asked for court dispositions.

The people who did not mention the tickets were not asked for court dispositions.

I'm not going to mention my minor traffic citations on my N-400. I am, however, prepared with court dispositions, just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest you contact those two states to check to see if they have your information on file. Remember you have to answer the questions truthfully. Lying to them is not only grounds for denial of your application, but they can revoke your citizenship later if they find out. The only way USCIS can revoke your citizenship is if they can prove that you provide them with false information. Not answering a question truthfully is grounds for denial.

A speeding ticket is a minor infraction and would have no bearing on your case. Lying to them on the other hand is bad. I haven't heard of anyone was denied based on a speeding ticket.

Good luck,

Newly

I have checked the documents of N400 instruction and A guide to naturalization. there is no explicit instruction like "you don't need to mention your minor traffic citation"

in N400 instructions doc page 2
"Note that unless a traffic incident was alcoholor drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that didnot involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was afine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver'slicense."

"Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer"
So i am going to say yes to this question. (i do have minor traffic citations, stop sign, No Uturn). according to instruction, i don't need submit documentation with N400. I will, however, prepare with court dispositions and take them to interview.

sampai said:
I ran a survey on this question.

About 40 percent of the people who mentioned traffic citations on the N-400 were asked for court dispositions.

The people who did not mention the tickets were not asked for court dispositions.

I'm not going to mention my minor traffic citations on my N-400. I am, however, prepared with court dispositions, just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
NewlyMinted said:
I suggest you contact those two states to check to see if they have your information on file. Remember you have to answer the questions truthfully. Lying to them is not only grounds for denial of your application, but they can revoke your citizenship later if they find out. The only way USCIS can revoke your citizenship is if they can prove that you provide them with false information. Not answering a question truthfully is grounds for denial.

A speeding ticket is a minor infraction and would have no bearing on your case. Lying to them on the other hand is bad. I haven't heard of anyone was denied based on a speeding ticket.

Good luck,

Newly

I agree that one needs to answer the N-400 questions truthfully.
That is what I intend to do.

However, even though I still have three months, getting the relevant records (in case they are asked for) seems very hard in my case.

NY, Nevada and Iowa do not provide driving records for people who did not have a driver's licence issued by that state.
I just got a copy of my driving abstract from NJ, but it was blank since all the three tickets I had in the 90s have long since been expunged.

So I don't know how else I could recover the records about these three tickets having been issued at all.

I did read in the N-400 instructions that for non-DUI traffic tickets, where the only penalty was a fine of less that $500 and points, one is not required to provide documentation.

But I am worried that in practice if one does answer "yes" to the question D.16 in N-400, the interviewing USCIS officer will want to see some official piece of paper explaining that answer.
After all, USCIS is a big buraucracy and this is how big buraucracies work...

Yeah, but the instruction you quoted did not say not to mention them. It says don't submit documentation, but you have to mention them. The questions states:

Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

A speeding ticket is a citation. Most IO would not have a problem with it if you if you don't mention it, but some of them are anal and they would deny your application and they would be within their authority to do so. And because some IOs are so nasty, it's better to have the documents with you during the interview. Because you never know which IO you will get.

Cheers,

Newly

btw,

how to fill in this part?
"Outcome or disposition of the arrest, citation, detention or charge (No charges filed, charges dismissed, jail, probation, etc.)"

paid or No charges filed or charges dismissed?

I have 5 moving violation traffic tickets for all these years. So I even need a seperate sheet of paper to give information of all the minor traffic citation!?

baikal3 said:
I agree that one needs to answer the N-400 questions truthfully.
That is what I intend to do.

However, even though I still have three months, getting the relevant records (in case they are asked for) seems very hard in my case.

NY, Nevada and Iowa do not provide driving records for people who did not have a driver's licence issued by that state.
I just got a copy of my driving abstract from NJ, but it was blank since all the three tickets I had in the 90s have long since been expunged.

So I don't know how else I could recover the records about these three tickets having been issued at all.

I did read in the N-400 instructions that for non-DUI traffic tickets, where the only penalty was a fine of less that $500 and points, one is not required to provide documentation.

But I am worried that in practice if one does answer "yes" to the question D.16 in N-400, the interviewing USCIS officer will want to see some official piece of paper explaining that answer.
After all, USCIS is a big buraucracy and this is how big buraucracies work...