TRACKER: Jan - Dec 2003 in Spreadsheet

I-140 -- OCT 16,2003
----- is this I-140 filing date or I-140 approval date?
I-485,765 - NOV 06,2003
----- I hope it is filling date of I-485
If I-140 not approved don’t change the employer as your I-485 is not pending more than 180 days and I-140 not approved better maintain H1 status

What is really going on in NSC?????

H1B:
My friend, who is in India, filed his first H1B a month back in NSC through "Premium Processing" and Still he is waiting.

I-140:
My attorney said that I-140 Cases he filed, are pending for more than 8 months now and we also know from the tracker, for a month now, we could see only one approval.

I-485:
As we all know, I-485 is pending and will be pending for Ever.

Looks like NSC is not working in H1B petitions or I-140s or I-485? So my question is What NSC is really doing other than "helping TSC" to reduce its backlog?

naanshi.

EB3-RIR-conc

I-140 RD 9/10/03
I-140 ND 9/17/03
I-140 AD ............?

Any one in Sept approved?

Thanks

As far as I know, we did not see any approval for EB3 cases after November 17,2003. And last approved case was filed on July 17, 2003. My friend (EB3-RIR) with Notice date July 24, 2003, is still waiting. Last approved EB2 was filed on July 29, 2003 and approved on Dec 04, 2003.

There is a strong possibility that we are not going to see any approvals till January second week because of the Holidays.

naanshi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's not due to the holiday. I ever saw the following in the "Updates for Week of November 17, 2003":

"....The NSC stated that the processing times for the Form I-140 Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker will continue to increase because the NSC is focusing its efforts on nonimmigrant petition adjudications. The Form I-140 processing times are currently in excess of 210 days......"

That's true. It looks like they almost stopped processing I-140 recently. In the latest processing time as of 12/1/03, there is no move in I-140 category, except EB1-EA, which has moved forward several days.

:(

I got below lines from www.immigration.com. This was given by Rajiv. S. Khanna.

These statements are totally different when we see murthy.com or in this thread.

Which one is true ?

" In cases of concurrent filing, INS is currently of the view that the 180 days period required for I-485 portability begins only after approval of the I-140. INS is also inconsistent in issuing EAD's and Advance Paroles for concurrent filing cases. Some times, they are being issued at the time of concurrent filing, and some other times, only after approval of the I-140."

one of my friend emailed him asking about AC21 portability. He replied to that with those statements.

Is it true! or some kind of misinterpretation

180 Days as measured from form 485 receipt Date

As per Aug04, 2003 memorandum from US Department of Homeland Security, it is 180 days from form 485 receipt date and not from I-140 approval date.

There is no reference of Concurrent Filing in this document.

Attached is the memorandum.

However, if it is coming from the reputed person like, Rajiv, we need to get clarrifiaction. I think we may request Rajiv to throw light on this confusion.

Reference of concurrent filing ...

Sanvibha

There is a reference of concurrent filing in this document. Correct me if I am wrong..

"This policy is still in effect and has not changed as a result of implementation of the concurrent filing process"

Is it 180 days from day of receipt or ND?
----- 180 days from receipt date

------------------- From USCIS : Where the I-140 is still pending in the I-140/I-485 concurrent filing after 180 days of filing of I-485, USCIS opined that the so-called Yates' memo of August 4, 2003 does not apply

INS H.Q said that they are going to issue a new Memo for concurrent I-140 and I-485 filing for AC21 please read the info posted by lawyer few weeks back:

11/28/2003 New development regarding AC21, from USCIS
New development regarding AC21, from USCIS
To read the link visit: immigration-law.com and go to BREAKING News

11/28/2003: AC 21 Change of Employer and Issue of Pending I-140 in Concurrent Filing

As people know, the USCIS released a memorandum on August 4, 2003 concerning the validity of I-140 under the AC 21 180-day rule. Among others, the memorandum stipulated that under the AC 21, the I-140 would remain valid if the I-485 applicant changes employment after 180 days of filing of I-485, no matter whether the employer withdraws the original I-140 petition.

Caveat: Where the I-140 is still pending in the I-140/I-485 concurrent filing after 180 days of filing of I-485, USCIS opined that the so-called Yates' memo of August 4, 2003 does not apply. This leaves a number of questions wide open in the concurrent filing where I-140 adjudication drags on. Obviously, the first question should be whether the I-485 applicant will be allowed to change employment after 180 days of filing when I-140 is still pending. The other question is whether the I-140 petition would remain valid, should the original employer withdraw the I-140 petition for the purpose of substitution of the employee. Conservative view dictates that the answer could be "negative." The USCIS said that it would release a separate memorandum on this issue. Until such separate memorandum is released, it may be prudent for the I-485 filers to take a extra precaution before they decide to jump to a new employer.
11/28/2003: AC 21 Change of Employer and Narrow Definition of New "Employer"

Under the AC 21, the I-485 applicant is permitted to take a new "employment" of similar or same occupation classification after 180 days of filing of I-485. What is the definition and scope of "employment?" Recently, USCIS HQ opined that "self-employment" is not considered within the parameter of the terms "employment" in the AC 21. This interpretation opens a host of related questions such as what happens if the new employer is a corporation where the I-485 applicant holds controlling shares or 100% of shares?

11/28/2003: AC 21 Change of Employer and Issue of New Employer's Employment Intent Upon Approval of I-485

In the employment-based I-485 proceeding, the I-140 petitioning employer is required to maintain its "intent to employ the petitioned employee" upon approval of I-485. Where the I-485 applicant fails to prove that the employer no longer retains such intent, the immigration services can deny the I-485 application unless it was a self-petition I-140. The theory is that there no longer exists the proffered employment. Additionally, should the I-140 petitioner abandon its intent to employ the sponsored I-485 applicant upon I-485 approval and the immigration services approved I-485 without the knowledge of such change of intent, the immigration services can initiate the legal proceeding of revocation of the approved I-485 for the reasons that had they known such facts, they would not have approved I-485.
What happens if the I-485 applicant changes employment after 180 days of filing of I-485? Obviously, the original I-140 petitioner abandoned such intent in this situation. However, pending I-485 should survive because of the AC 21 180-day rule. Question remains, though, whether the new employer should take over the intent to employ the alien once I-485 is granted. It appears that the USCIS view is that throughout the I-485 proceedings, an employer should retain such intent. Accordingly, it opines that the new employer should retain such intent to employ the I-485 applicant for indefinite duration once I-485 is granted. Implicitly, this view also requires that the alien should retain his/her intent to work for the new employer at the time he/she takes the new employment and throughout the period of employment with the new employer. Should the alien abandon such intent, the USCIS may be able to argue that there was a misrepresentation, and should the USCIS learn such abandonment, it can deny the I-485 and once granted, theoretically, USCIS might be able to revisit the adjudication of I-485 and initiate revocation proceeding.
The USCIS view thus makes one thing clear: Under the AC 21 180-day rule, the I-485 applicant should not take a "temporary" employment. The terms of employment should be for a period of "indefinite" duration. Should the USCIS establish that either the new employer or the I-485 applicant did not retain an intent to employ or work for the new employer "upon approval of I-485," the consequences can be deadly.

It is unclear at this point whether such view and interpretation of AC 21 180-day rule of USCIS is sustainable when it is challenged in the court considering the legislative intent of the 180-day rule, but until it is settled in the court, I-485 applicants should be aware of the USCIS views on this issue and potential risk of ignoring this view.

Hi All,
good news. I emailed to Rajiv asking about the AC21 portability.

Yes we can change employer after I-485 pending for 180 days and I-140 is approved. In case of concurrent filing it starts from the day you applied for I-485 and I-140 ( I am not sure about RD or ND .. in my case difference is just a day )

I am attaching the text document which Rajiv has forwarded.

His reply was very quick. Thanks to Rajiv.

Please add me in to tracker
amit_p27
LIN-03-187-XXXXX
I140 27th May 2003
I485 5th Dec 2003

Changed from CP to AOS after filing the I485
waiting on everything from NSC
thanks

Anyone approved from the filers of August?

I can see in the offical BCIS page cases approved filed on July 29.

I140NSC,

Do you know, what was the approval date for July 29th case?
in November Or December?

We are not seeing any I140 approval in December.

naanshi.

holiday seasom

This is holiday season. First thanksgiving and than Christmas, new year.
Half of the INS clowns will be on vacation, the rest will be in no mood to work (u know how govt offices are)
I doubt any processing will take place this month. August processing will most probably start in January.
I have a notice date of Aug 25 for I140/485 and am eagerly awaiting INS to wake up from its sleep !!!