total cost of OCI now $275 + $175??

nkm-oct23

Registered Users (C)
Indian Consulate in NY has started collecting $175 fees for renouncing Indian citizenship - this is a mandatory requirement for all OCI/PIO applicants. Indian Consulate in San Francisco mentions this requirement but does not mention the exact fees. Indian Consulate in London has already started collecting this fee from last September (£90). Several other Indian consulate have also started collecting this fees.

This brings the total fee per person to be $450. This is an outrage!

You mean, sending that piece of form and getting 1 cancel stamp on the passport will cost people $175 from now on? Sweet, I would love to see their processes improved if they want to charge more money. I am sure people would pay money for the better service ... tracking/phone reps/courtesy etc etc ...

On DC Website:

Note (1). According to Passport Act 1967, it is mandatory to get Indian Passport cancelled by the Indian Embassy. There is a fee of $175 for getting Indian Passport cancelled. Indian Passport of US national, expiring on or after 1st January 2005, and if the Indian Passport is not cancelled even after 3 years of acquiring US citizenship, such Indian passport holder needs to pay a fine of $250 in addition to $175 renunciation fee. You are required to pay above fees if applicable in addition to the OCI and Mailing fees.

sam, did you send $275+175 for canceling the Indian PP?
what happens if you didn't send the 175?
chola

sam, did you send $275+175 for canceling the Indian PP?
what happens if you didn't send the 175?
chola

Please read the thread " who signs form XXII " A letter from Indian Consul NYC is posted. You would not get your OCI unless you process your renounciation by paying $175

Does anyone know if this is necessary if the Indian passport has already expired? Also, what if one does not apply for OCI, and just an entry visa?

oci fee

whatttttttttt.. this is atrocious. almost cost of getting us citizenship .... does anyone know what are the timelines of getting a indian tourist visa in new york

Any effective date

I sent my wife's OCI application along with the Indian passport yesterday in the mail, I didn't check the website updates for fees, are they going to send back the application? Keeping fingers crossed

You wish, they will be as clear as WATER but they won't and thats the way they will be able to make money ... without improving on their processes and customer services.

It's kind of argument but how come they change overnight and ask for extra fee, there was no indication of this till yesterday.They should set some kind of date to start charging this fee...it is not even small amount to bypass the feeling.

Does anyone know if this is necessary if the Indian passport has already expired? Also, what if one does not apply for OCI, and just an entry visa?

You have toSend Indian passport if expired to get Surrender certificate+$175 +$20 Mailing fee for Surrender certificate, you apply for OCI or PIO/or Visa you need to pay the above and OCI or PIO or Visa Fees. FYI they now give Entry(X) visa that cost $113. Check the Travisa site

Indian Consulate in NY has started collecting $175 fees for renouncing Indian citizenship - this is a mandatory requirement for all OCI/PIO applicants. Indian Consulate in San Francisco mentions this requirement but does not mention the exact fees. Indian Consulate in London has already started collecting this fee from last September (£90). Several other Indian consulate have also started collecting this fees.

This brings the total fee per person to be $450. This is an outrage!
total cost of OCI now $275 + $175+$20 mailing fee