TN Visa - Renewal with new title

Minty8

Hi everyone!

I have a question about TN visa renewals. I am going to apply for new TN visa in November 2022. The current TN visa that I am on, is under the "Scientific Technician" category. I have a bachelors degree in Geology with a lot of work experience in a geochemical/metallurgical/environmental laboratory.

My current company has decided that they would like to promote to more of a Project Manager type of position. This new position will not be managing people, and will solely focus on managing geochemical type projects. In the employment offer letter, my employer chose to list my occupation as "Geochemist/Environmental Project Manager". Will this cause any problems at the border when applying?

Thank you!

As you no doubt know, the actual job title is not what determines your TN, the job tasks do. Since you are now applying for a geochemist category job, your degree (experience does not count) should be Geochemist. Since there is also a category for Geologist, in the TN world there is a difference. Whether a geologist can be a geochemist is something that only you can answer, and if so, prove to the TN officer.

Your other choice is to remain a SciTech, but that will require a degreed supervisor, but then your experience can be looked at.

So you need to decide whether you go for Geochemist TN because you believe your degree qualifies you as a geochemist rather than a geologist, or go for SciTech.

As you no doubt know, the actual job title is not what determines your TN, the job tasks do. Since you are now applying for a geochemist category job, your degree (experience does not count) should be Geochemist. Since there is also a category for Geologist, in the TN world there is a difference. Whether a geologist can be a geochemist is something that only you can answer, and if so, prove to the TN officer.

Your other choice is to remain a SciTech, but that will require a degreed supervisor, but then your experience can be looked at.

So you need to decide whether you go for Geochemist TN because you believe your degree qualifies you as a geochemist rather than a geologist, or go for SciTech.
That is a good point. I don't know if there is a "Geochemistry" degree (there probably is, I just only have a Geology degree with a speciality in geochemistry - I did my undergraduate thesis in geochemistry). Do you think that would be enough for a TN visa under Geochemist? I guess I could ask them rewite the letter to have Geologist instead of Geochemist to be on the safe side.

I thought that they would look into my experience and my degree when considering if I should be approved or not.

Like I said, experience does not count for either TN category, nor for most others.

You will need to determine which category definition your job tasks most closely match, and choose that one. The CBP uses the OOS Handbook (goggle please) to match tasks to category. If it is geochemist, then you will need to show that your geology degree (and courseload) are "closely related" to geochemist. If it is indeed geologist, then you are golden.