TN visa. Offer letter vs. TN employment letter.

Congrats,
is it known as tn visa offer letter or employment letter which one should be mentioned on lettterhead / subject
wanted to know the format of letter. do we need only NAFTA category applied under mention and no need to mention internal job title.

any way you can post the offer letter (hiding your personal info).
sapnj2004ATyahooDOTcom

The internal job title was not used. Because my title was not specifically on the list. I just used the NAFTA profession category/ title I was applying under and the job duties and terms of employment with original signature from the employer.

Congrats! Did you go the same port the second time as well? Which port was it?

Did your updated offer letter indicate the duration of employment? if your job is permanent, how your offer letter can only show 3 years? Honest?

I have this dilemma now. My job is medical lab scientist. The offer is permanent. How can I ask my HR to write 3 years on offer and TN letter? How your guys get around this?

Whether or not it is permanent, they must only hire you three years at a time and it should be stipulated in the letter. It’s a regulation for TN.

Whether or not it is permanent, they must only hire you three years at a time and it should be stipulated in the letter. It’s a regulation for TN.

My offer letter only mentions the start date and not the duration of employment. No job description, just job title. I am kind of concerned. I am still waiting for the TN letter to see how it goes. The CPB check list clearly states the "detailed job description" and "duration of employment."

Also, is it good idea to apply TN status at "designated" POE as advised by CPB website to get "optimum" processing? Grassland port in Montana is a good place to go?

My offer letter only mentions the start date and not the duration of employment. No job description, just job title. I am kind of concerned. I am still waiting for the TN letter to see how it goes. The CPB check list clearly states the "detailed job description" and "duration of employment."

Also, is it a good idea to apply for TN status at "designated" POE as advised by CPB website to get "optimum" processing? Grassland port in Montana is a good place to go?

The standard offer letter you receive from your employer typically would not have all the elements that are required for TN like job duties. I had to prepare a template/draft that identified the required elements: NAFTA position/category you are applying for; job duties worded to clearly show how they support the NAFTA position you are applying under and the duration, salary and line indicating the employer request. All on the employer letterhead and original employer signature. Preparing a draft of the letter helps the employer and helps ensure it is in the right format. This letter is best addressed to the CBP, explain to the employer that it is like an employment offer verification letter for the purpose of obtaining TN authorization. It has to follow the format required.

AS I said a month ago when we started this thread: "Almost no offer letter meets the TN requirements."

Did your updated offer letter indicate the duration of employment? if your job is permanent, how your offer letter can only show 3 years? Honest?

I have this dilemma now. My job is medical lab scientist. The offer is permanent. How can I ask my HR to write 3 years on offer and TN letter? How your guys get around this?

TN limits you to a three year at a time for you "permanent" job. I used the following wording:

[employee name]’s employment with [employer name] will be on a full-time basis, 40hrs a week, at the rate of [salary] per year with standard benefits. This is a temporary appointment within the terms of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) for an intended period of three years.

This is makes it clear that it is temporary for three years, WITHIN the context of NAFTA. This does not impact the terms of the contract with your employer. Just that legally you can not continue working without renewing at the end of 3 years.

The whole petition is within the context of NAFTA, so not sure what the extra fluff buys you. The offer is for a period not to exceed three years. Period.

The whole petition is within the context of NAFTA, so not sure what the extra fluff buys you. The offer is for a period not to exceed three years. Period.

Just sharing the exact wording I included in my letter, is it necessary to state exactly like I did? No, there is no magic bullet. The important thing is to include the key required elements.

The use of the fluff "within the terms of NAFTA" was meant more for the employer than CBP, giving the employer more comfort to sign the letter. As their offer to me did not state temporary/from their perspective it is a permanent position with no time limits. So when I say position is "temporary" within the terms of NAFTA it is just reiterating the point for the employer and distinguishing between my actual offer letter and the TN offer letter. Now is this necessary for all employers? not at all. But for mine that distinction/qualification to the statement helped.

Congrats,
is it known as tn visa offer letter or employment letter which one should be mentioned on lettterhead / subject
wanted to know the format of letter. do we need only NAFTA category applied under mention and no need to mention internal job title.

any way you can post the offer letter (hiding your personal info).
sapnj2004ATyahooDOTcom
you should have it now.

I will bring all of the original documents (diploma, transcripts, certificates, etc) with me to apply TN status later this month. Do I need to make a copy for each of the original docs so that CBP officer can have them and keep them? I will assume they will return the original back to me but not sure if they need copy of the docs. Thanks.

As Mister says a good practice, though not required, is to bring your originals, show them to the officer, and then immediately hand them a set of copies for their use

Just sharing the exact wording I included in my letter, is it necessary to state exactly like I did? No, there is no magic bullet. The important thing is to include the key required elements.

The use of the fluff "within the terms of NAFTA" was meant more for the employer than CBP, giving the employer more comfort to sign the letter. As their offer to me did not state temporary/from their perspective it is a permanent position with no time limits. So when I say position is "temporary" within the terms of NAFTA it is just reiterating the point for the employer and distinguishing between my actual offer letter and the TN offer letter. Now is this necessary for all employers? not at all. But for mine that distinction/qualification to the statement helped.

Hi Theonejm,
Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you share full TN Letter and Job Offer(obviously removing your name and details)? I am working with my employer to prepare my TN Letter and I want to make sure I don't miss any point.

Well I am happy to report that I went today to the POE and was approved for another three years!, no questions asked.

I was able to get the offer letter re done/signed, removing the internal job title. Also, even though I had two versions of letter, 1- addressed to CBP and another adressed to me, I provided the letter that was addressed to the CBP and this officer had no problems/questions about it.

The entire process took about 10 minutes. I also did a lot of praying and the LORD came through, the officer barely glanced at the letter.

Have faith, there was about three other individuals ahead of me and they all got approved.

Thanks for all the great advice on this forumn. All the best.

Two letters! Awesome! Thanks for that info. Heading to a POE soon to change jobs on a TN.