TN Visa holder travelling to India from US

zrahul

Here is the situtaion.

1. I am a Candian citizen on a TN visa and my wife and kid have TD visa.

2. I am planning to travel From Chicago to India and return back to Chicago.

My concern is that would this be a problem. I have heard that I have to return my I-94 paper stuck to the passport at the Chicago Airport. I am told this is the standard procedure for any immigrant travelling out of US. But in case of TN/TD visa I-94 is also the only document that is proof that TN/TD visa has been issued.

Pls let me know what is the procedure in the above scenario ?

The best is to keep a copy of your I-94, along with a copy of the docs you used to get your TN in your suitcase. They will reissue new I-94s when you return to US.

The airlines are going to want to take any I-94 that they see, that is their job; and many TNers who have kept their I-94 have faced a wagging finger from CBP officer when returning from abroad (not North America) with their I-94, saying that they should have given it in.

Personally, I would remove the I-94 from my passport on my way to the airport, and then put it back in after boarding the plane. I can take a finger-wagging.

We went to India in 2007 and the airline took our I-94 and we did not have any trouble getting a new I-94 with the same validity as the old one on our return to US. I am working on a TN visa and my wife is an Indian citizen and holds a TD visa. As Nelsona mentioned keep a copy of your I-94 in your TN file and carry all your documents you used for your TN approval. Also IF your wife is a non-canadian citizen she needs to have a TD visa stamp which is valid in her passport to obtain her new I-94 upon her return to the United States.

Thanks Shevas and Nelson,

There are couple of twists in my scenario. I didn't want to complicate my first post so i did not include it there.

1. I will soon getting a new Canadian passport since my current passport expired. So the I-94 would be in old passport. Will I still face the wagging finger if did not return I-94 during departure. I found this info
From http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1274.html#17
"Unless previously canceled, a visa is valid until its expiration date. Therefore, if the traveler has a valid U.S. visitor visa in an expired passport, do not remove the visa page from the expired passport. You may use it along with a new valid passport for travel and admission to the United States. "

2. This may sound improbable but sadly it is true. I lost my son's canadian passport (one that had I-94 with TD visa). I applied for a new passport and got one. In the mean time we found the lost passport. So now I have a new passport without I-94 and cancelled passport with I-94 ( since the passport was reported lost Canadian authorites cancelled it.) . I am not sure what to do with the I-94 that is there in Cancelled Passport.

3. Also if they issue a new TN visa on return do we have to pay for it again and would the validity of the Visa period change one year from that date .

Thanks again for your informed responses.

I found this info
From http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1274.html#17
"Unless previously canceled, a visa is valid until its expiration date. Therefore, if the traveler has a valid U.S. visitor visa in an expired passport, do not remove the visa page from the expired passport. You may use it along with a new valid passport for travel and admission to the United States. "

An I-94 is not a visa. This is not applicable.

I am not sure what to do with the I-94 that is there in Cancelled Passport.

Give it back when he leaves the US. He can be readmitted as a TD again easily.

Also if they issue a new TN visa on return do we have to pay for it again and would the validity of the Visa period change one year from that date .

You should not be charged the $50 again - if they do, they should give you another year.

When I went to train in India for 6 weeks, I was lucky that it wasn't attached to my passport in the first place. So I had my passport and in a seperate folder I had my my SSN, Birth Cert (just in case) and my folded up I-94. Never had an issue in England or India since all they cared was my passport and never had an issue back in the US as I just showed them the unstapled I-94.

So as mentioned, just remove it from your passport and carry it seperatly...