TN Visa along with Importing Car

reddy9999

Hello Seniors,

I'm going for TN soon and I'll be driving from Calgary.
1.Can I import my car at the same time or I can do later after crossing border.
2.My car still has loan ? will i need to pay off before importing ?

First you need to get a letter from your car maker (in canada) that states that your car meets US regs, or what needs to be modified to meet regs. Then you need permission from your lender to leave Canada with a loan pending on car, or pay iit off.

You do not need to import the car at the border, they will let you in temporarily with your TN, and you can go to any POE (like at airport) to get formal import processed. You will need to do this to register/plate the car in your state.

What state will be be located in?
Some states, like New York, will give you a NY Drivers License based on you Canadian Province license.
Other states, like California, will require you to write the written test, then do a road test to obtain your California drivers license.
As for importing a vehicle, my moving company (paid for by my employer) said it is usually better to sell you car in Canada and buy a new/used car in US. Both the US and Canadian governments make it difficult/expensive to import a vehicle.
In my situation, my spouse and I decided to sell our Canadian vehicles before we moved. One was over 10 years old, so easy decision, the other was eight years old, we wanted to keep it, but decided to sell it in Canada. We moved to Southern California and my employer provide relocation assistance, which included a move and a 60 day rental car. It took me almost 60 days to obtain a California Drivers license in 2015. I had to make an appointment at DMV to do the written test, then after passing, make an appointment to do the drivers test. DMV is very slow!
The other concern is obtaining car insurance in US. Some US companies consider you a "new" driver, so higher rates.
We used Geico, they will use your Canadian driving history in consideration, to give you a quote, when you provide your Canadian drivers license number.
In our case, my spouse had a speeding ticket in the last three years in Ontario and they saw it in their system. We did shop around and Geico gave us the best auto insurance rates. (but insurance was more expensive in US versus Canada).
Good luck!

Thanks Amberleaf, Appreciate for your response.I'll be driving to dallas from calgary
One of my close friend moved to Dallas from Calgary and he got license just by exchanging Canadian license.No need for driving written test or road test.

I moved to IL and same here, I got driving license by exchanging Canadian license.

Yes, California appears to be one of the few or only states to require a written and drivers test to obtain California drivers license.

I'll be going with my I94 to apply for my SIN on monday but i don't have any address proof yet Do I need address proof for SSN ? I'm in Dallas

I'll be going with my I94 to apply for my SIN on monday but i don't have any address proof yet Do I need address proof for SSN ? I'm in Dallas

Back in 2014, I remember, I provided just my canadian passport. They didn't ask for any US address proof.

You can give your current Canadian Address if you have one. SSN card will be mailed to that address.

Not sure if something got changed in between

Hey Nelsona, in Dallas , Appointment dates for SSN is in June , but I have to fly back to calgary and come back to dallas in June .
1.Can I get paid from employer without SIN until June?

1. Yes, but some employers prefer to wait. They might give you an advance on your salary just for bookkeeping purposes. You can work without the SSN.

Hello Seniors,

Hi,

Could you tell me about your experience at Calgary Air port. I am just wondering about our experiences.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am planning to visit them on Jun 14 . By the way I am currently living in Calgary . Chemical engineer with APEGA P.Eng.
I have a Bachelor degree and Master's degree in Chemical Engineering (Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur & IIT Roorkee). work experience in the same filed for about 15 years.

In summary I have

1. TN original letter from employer
2. All Degree certificates and Transcripts in original
3. World Education Service (WES) Equivalency to US
4. G-28 Form original

do I required to show offer letter however my attorney explained me that offer letter is not required to show he might be right as TN letter is required.

As per USCIS

Canadian Citizens​

If you are a Canadian citizen, then you are not required to apply for a TN visa at a U.S. consulate.

You may establish eligibility for TN classification at the time you seek admission to the United States by presenting required documentation to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at certain CBP-designated U.S. ports of entry or at a designated pre-clearance/pre-flight inspection station. You must provide the following documentation to the CBP officer:

• Proof of Canadian citizenship;
  • Letter from your prospective employer detailing items such as the professional capacity in which you will work in the United States, the purpose of your employment, your length of stay, and your educational qualifications; and
  • Credentials evaluation (if applicable), together with any applicable fees.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

why would you need a G-28? You are getting the TN yourself, not your lawyer,
Agreed with you. Requested the same. Waiting to hear back. However, just wondering if you use attorney services no requirement of representation form.

Could you tell me do I need to carry offer letter as it was email pdf copy. However I have TN letter from employer in original with all required signatures and information along with duration of 3 years. What do you suggest.
Secondly, accompanying family or later joining would have any impact. It diesn’t make sense however seeking expert opinions and recommendations.

If you are license P.Eng in Canada, just bring that. It's easier than degree proof from outside north america

I'd also bring a photocopy of every document and offer when needed so they don't take away your original.

Offer letter is not relevant, you can bring it but I wouldn't show it unless asked. It can contain title and duration or employment terms not matching TN letter and causes confusion. It's a private matter between you and the company.

If you are license P.Eng in Canada, just bring that. It's easier than degree proof from outside north america

I'd also bring a photocopy of every document and offer when needed so they don't take away your original.

Offer letter is not relevant, you can bring it but I wouldn't show it unless asked. It can contain title and duration or employment terms not matching TN letter and causes confusion. It's a private matter between you and the company.
Thank you

Hello Seniors,

Hello reddy999, I am moving to Texas from Calgary on a TN visa and would love to ask you some questions about your experiences.

1. Did you need to have a flight booked to obtain your TN visa at the Calgary airport?
2. What did you end up doing about your vehicle?....I own a truck and horse trailer and am contemplating selling both prior to my move in January.
3. Is there any other advice you could give as far as things you wished you had known prior to the move to Dallas?

You need to actually fly out of Canada to get the TN there. You can;t just show up, get a TN and go home. You won;t get to the US agent without a boarding pass.