TN Visa along with Importing Car

reddy9999

Hello Seniors,

I'm going for TN soon and I'll be driving from Calgary.
1.Can I import my car at the same time or I can do later after crossing border.
2.My car still has loan ? will i need to pay off before importing ?

nelsona

Registered Users (C)
First you need to get a letter from your car maker (in canada) that states that your car meets US regs, or what needs to be modified to meet regs. Then you need permission from your lender to leave Canada with a loan pending on car, or pay iit off.

You do not need to import the car at the border, they will let you in temporarily with your TN, and you can go to any POE (like at airport) to get formal import processed. You will need to do this to register/plate the car in your state.

Amberleaf

What state will be be located in?
Some states, like New York, will give you a NY Drivers License based on you Canadian Province license.
Other states, like California, will require you to write the written test, then do a road test to obtain your California drivers license.
As for importing a vehicle, my moving company (paid for by my employer) said it is usually better to sell you car in Canada and buy a new/used car in US. Both the US and Canadian governments make it difficult/expensive to import a vehicle.
In my situation, my spouse and I decided to sell our Canadian vehicles before we moved. One was over 10 years old, so easy decision, the other was eight years old, we wanted to keep it, but decided to sell it in Canada. We moved to Southern California and my employer provide relocation assistance, which included a move and a 60 day rental car. It took me almost 60 days to obtain a California Drivers license in 2015. I had to make an appointment at DMV to do the written test, then after passing, make an appointment to do the drivers test. DMV is very slow!
The other concern is obtaining car insurance in US. Some US companies consider you a "new" driver, so higher rates.
We used Geico, they will use your Canadian driving history in consideration, to give you a quote, when you provide your Canadian drivers license number.
In our case, my spouse had a speeding ticket in the last three years in Ontario and they saw it in their system. We did shop around and Geico gave us the best auto insurance rates. (but insurance was more expensive in US versus Canada).
Good luck!

edmonta

Thanks Amberleaf, Appreciate for your response.I'll be driving to dallas from calgary
One of my close friend moved to Dallas from Calgary and he got license just by exchanging Canadian license.No need for driving written test or road test.

I moved to IL and same here, I got driving license by exchanging Canadian license.

Amberleaf

Yes, California appears to be one of the few or only states to require a written and drivers test to obtain California drivers license.

reddy9999

I'll be going with my I94 to apply for my SIN on monday but i don't have any address proof yet Do I need address proof for SSN ? I'm in Dallas

CDN9

I'll be going with my I94 to apply for my SIN on monday but i don't have any address proof yet Do I need address proof for SSN ? I'm in Dallas

Back in 2014, I remember, I provided just my canadian passport. They didn't ask for any US address proof.

You can give your current Canadian Address if you have one. SSN card will be mailed to that address.

Not sure if something got changed in between

reddy9999

Hey Nelsona, in Dallas , Appointment dates for SSN is in June , but I have to fly back to calgary and come back to dallas in June .
1.Can I get paid from employer without SIN until June?

nelsona

Registered Users (C)
1. Yes, but some employers prefer to wait. They might give you an advance on your salary just for bookkeeping purposes. You can work without the SSN.