TN/TD is considered as resident or no-resident

Renee Hao

Registered Users (C)
My son is holding TD visa, but his college considers him as a international student even my son has been lived in MI more than one year and graduated from MI. We pay tax to Gov. though.
But I know this college considers H, J, E, L, etc. as resident. Why it is different between H and TN? The director of EMU can not answer my question.

Is there anyone know some link or defination and agreement on TN/TD's residency?

Appreciate your help.

Yes, I ran into the same problem in California - each state is different. I'm not sure how you will fight it. We have a thing here called AB540 which is for the kids of either non-immigrants in the H or L categories or kids with no status that attended three years of local high school and graduated. They can qualify under this bill - otherwise they are stuck.

All others except US citizen or green card holders are international student

If a student are not a US citizen or green card holder, then s/he is considered international student irrespective whether s/he live within US or outside.

If a student are not a US citizen or green card holder, then s/he is considered international student irrespective whether s/he live within US or outside.

Sorry, but that is absolutely 100% false, unless your statement is specific to Michigan. Each Michigan college or university can make it's own residency policy.

It is state by state. As an example, in Ohio as long as you live there you're a resident.

In California, as long as you meet a certain set of criteria, you are a resident. I know because I had to go through it for myself and for my son. We even got a refund cheque for over $2000.00 for the classes I paid for him after we got him reclassified as a resident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Renee,

It's school by school in Michigan. So U of Mich may say okay, but Michigan State might say no.

The University of Michigan's Authority to Establish Residency Guidelines for Its Students

Because each of Michigan's public universities has autonomous authority to establish residency guidelines for admission and tuition purposes, guidelines vary by school and are independent of regulations used by other state authorities to determine residency for such purposes as income and property tax liability, driving, and voting. The University of Michigan’s current Residency Classification Guidelines were approved by its Board of Regents to take effect Spring Term 2005 and to apply to students at all campuses.

And yes I know is sucks big time.

Also see this link for more info.

http://www.umich.edu/~regoff/resreg.html

A, E, G and I visa holders (Exception: Dependent children who hold an E visa are not eligible to be considered for resident classification.)

*Please note that individuals holding temporary visas, such as, but not limited to, F, H, J, K, L, Parolee, TN, TD, etc., are not eligible for resident classification at the University of Michigan regardless of their other circumstances.
That is incredible!
The manual does not have complete classification. That is why it is absolutely impossible to figure out which exactly visa allows residency.
I do not see any common features that would group A, E, G and I together distinguishing versus F,H,J,K,L, Parolee,TN,TD groupped into the other group.

What about other visas? How would they decide without a written policy?

Now check this out from http://www.cmich.edu/res-policy/status.htm

F. Non-Citizens Lawfully Admitted to the United States
(Lawful admission status is determined by the Director of the Office of International Education, or designee):

1. A non-citizen of the United States may be eligible for classification as a Michigan resident for tuition purposes, if such person has an appropriate, current visa, and meets the requirements for Michigan resident status specified in this policy.

2. A non-citizen transferred to Michigan for employment purposes may be classified as a Michigan resident for tuition purposes, if such person has an appropriate, current visa, and meets the requirements for Michigan resident status specified in this policy.

3. A non-citizen student who has a parent or grandparent who graduated from Central Michigan University will be classified as a Michigan resident for tuition purposes, if such person has an appropriate, current visa.

Revised March 6, 2006

Very upset.
Eastern Michigan University groups H, J, E, L together as resident, but TN/TD.
I do not think they have the full knowledge of TN/TD.

Renee,

I know this is very upsetting - I personally went through the same thing with my son and myself (we both take classes).

I believe Ohio has a residency policy that as long as you're a legal resident you're a resident. You might want to check it out.