TN Status Ultimatum at POE

jorgediazs96

Hi,

I am a Mexican architect under a TN visa since early 2022, currently working as a Project Manager for a construction company. I successfully renewed my visa last year with the same employer and position. Recently, I accepted a new job and had my employer status updated at the San Ysidro Port of Entry in San Diego without any issues.

However, three months into my new role, a CBP officer at Austin International Airport questioned the validity of my TN visa. He argued that the occupation listed as "Architect" did not match my job description. While he allowed me entry, I have since been sent to secondary inspection at every POE. This has happened three times. Each time, I have shown my offer letter from my new company and have been cleared after a brief wait.

Yesterday, I arrived at San Antonio International Airport and was again sent to secondary inspection. This time, the officer reviewed my file thoroughly and questioned me every few minutes. I carry all my documents when I travel, so I presented my offer letter, the CBP letter from my April employer change, pay stubs, and financial evidence. The officer then asked for documents related to my day-to-day job duties. My main concern is that officers seem to interpret "Architect" as strictly a role that involves drawing plans and designing, which is not entirely reflective of my responsibilities.

After nearly an hour of discussing my role, the officers concluded that I should not be on an Architect TN Visa and suggested I apply for a specialty/consultant role instead. They allowed me entry but issued a 30-day window for me to either clarify my status or request a change with USCIS. From my research, I believe I have three options:
  1. Request a change of employment category with USCIS.
  2. File Form I-129/I-797 with my company to clarify my TN status.
  3. Re-enter the U.S. through another POE, bringing documentation to support my current visa and request an I-94 extension.
Is it possible to contact USCIS to speak directly with an officer for clarification? My current job description states:

As a Building Design Architect, (my name) will be responsible for overseeing the architectural aspects of the development of the design, production of the construction documents and specifications to be satisfied by a material, design, product, or service. Collaborate with teams on projects, including programming client needs, concept design, design development, and budget/schedule. Develop space planning concepts and generate program documents. Produce accurate technical and contract documentation for construction of project. Produce architectural drawings, review and revise files as noted. Work with consultants, contractors, fabricators, specification writers, and regulatory agencies to meet overall project objectives. Assist in managing client expectations, team communication and consultant coordination. Generating design products including sketches, story boards, modeling, and presentation documents. Assemble contract documents and details, including technical specifications. Participate in detailed site inspections and writing of evaluation reports. Writing proposals and scope of work descriptions for projects.

Do not go through another POE. Get this fixed (which you probably should have done after the second time you had trouble.
You need to talk this over with a lawyer. Your firm should be backing you up.
Your firm needs to get involved.

Do not go through another POE. Get this fixed (which you probably should have done after the second time you had trouble.
You need to talk this over with a lawyer. Your firm should be backing you up.
Your firm needs to get involved.
I agree, should have done it beforehand, just had to travel for medical reasons.

I’ll talk to my company’s lawyers and get their support.

Do you think that filing for the I-129 is my best option? What is your experience on calling CBP or setting an appointment to talk about this in person?

Thanks for your help!

Your TN is valid. There is no need to refile. You need to get a lawyer to get them to stop harassing you.
Thanks for your advise! I had a call with my company lawyer today and they suggested I either get a new TN visa or file for I-129, which I don't agree with.

When you say I should get a lawyer to get them to stop harassing me, what do you mean? Should they be calling CBP office directly to discuss my case or is it possible to email CBP or USCIS with my case and arguments to clarify my situation?

Another option I was looking into was sending a I-94 correction letter to CBP, do you think that could help?

The problem is your employer will be submitting EXACTLY the same information on this new submission (the weren't lying on the previous one). So what are CBP going to say differently this time? That is why I am suggesting that someone accompany you to either a CBP office or the border demanding an explanation for their mistake.

And an I-129 approval from USCIS, can still be challenged by CBP. What other categpry would you as a full-fledged architect (you are, correct?)be eligible for?

But if your counsel is telling you to file I-129, then who am I to tell you otherwise.

Last edited: