TN Status and new SSN

uzairus39

Registered Users (C)
Hi ,

I got my TN status last week, I was in USA till dec 2003 on student visa and I have SSN too...and I also I have that SSN card today. My question is do I need to take a new SSN/apply for new SSN or old SSN card will work? please help me

Yes the old one will still be your current one, though you should go to the SSN office and get it updated to show your current TN status. Doesn't take long and you just fill out the form, show proof of your TN status and they'll update that in the computer...

If your card sais "Not eligible for employement" you would want to get it changed to read "Eligible to work with DHS authorization".

But if it already says this, there is nothing to do at SSA office. SSA is not charged with tracking your immigration status; don't waste their time -- or yours.

If your card sais "Not eligible for employement" you would want to get it changed to read "Eligible to work with DHS authorization".

But if it already says this, there is nothing to do at SSA office. SSA is not charged with tracking your immigration status; don't waste their time -- or yours.

the SSN card says " valid for work only with INS Authorization" , in this case what to do, do I need to go to SSN office and inform??..thanks for your reply..

Then you should be fine. It's always a good idea to have them up to date with your immigration status however. I was figuring being on a student visa it would have said something else.

If you ever move to a more permenant status, then you'll definatly want to update it again. Doesn't take much time to do it, however, right now as long as it says you're valid to work, then you're fine...

the SSN card says " valid for work only with INS Authorization" , in this case what to do, do I need to go to SSN office and inform??..thanks for your reply..

I was in a similar situation a few years ago - I did not go to the SS office. Went straight to work after getting my TN with my SS# that I had received previously.

There is no need to go to the SSA to update your visa status. Your card remains valid, and you have authorization to work.

The only time you MUST have it changed is when your card was issued as "ineligible" to work and then you can.

Some like to have their card updated when they get their Green card, but this is completely optional and not required, since a Green card is still authorization.

I would consider getting a new SSN if one became a US citizen, but, agin, this would be optional.

But there is no need to go to SSA office to change when you go from TN to TD to H1 or H4 or F1 or anything else. It's not a SSA matter once they issue the card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope not a "must" thing to do at all, just a suggested thing to do when switching status from things like non-work to eligible to work status. Also with the Green Card, if you want to apply for specific jobs that require you to have a GC, then you need to get it changed. As for Citizenship, there are other benefits besides the gov't or high security clearence jobs that occur as well when you notify them (inheritances is just one).

Other then that, it's just basically an extra security as gov't agencies (and INS) can check up on the SSN to verify status if something ever happens to your documents. Not saying that it will be the only thing they will need, but it's something. Many people don't bother.

I changed mine from TN to CG just for the job aspect of getting some gov't type positions and then as a USC. I know others who never bothered even as citzens.

In this case the poster just need to have the work authorized stamp which was mentioned and they already had...

Last edited by a moderator:
Also with the Green Card, if you want to apply for specific jobs that require you to have a GC, then you need to get it changed.

The job requires you to be a Permanent Resident, which you are. If SSA considers you something different that is irrelevant. Same with citizenship.

Not necissarly true, I have read several people have applied for gov't positions and were checked out only to find they were not classified as USC by SSN and were then out of the running for the position. They then found out about needing to change it when becomming a USC. Another reason why it's a recommend step and mentioned on the Oath Letter of things to do after you become a citzen (that and other reasons)...