TN Renewal Letter

rkelly

Hi,

I am a Canadian currently on a TN that expires in Oct 2019. I am not returning to Canada near enough that date to apply for another TN at a POE so I am submitting a I-129. My questions are:

1) What should the employer's letter include? Should it state its a renewal or should it be the same format as the one I used at the POE 3 years ago.
2) Can I write the cheque for the $460? Or does it have to be my employer?
3) My wife is on TD (expires with mine). Does she need to renew with me or can we wait until I receive my TN and then apply when we cross back over to Canada?
4) Should I include ties to Canada with the Package?

Thank you,

1. TN "renewal" is not a real concept, you are simply applying for a new TN. Probably there's no reason not to use the same offer letter as you used before (with updated dates / compensation / etc.)

2. You are the one applying for the visa status, so there's no reason for you to not write the check, but i doubt it matters

4. I haven't used 'ties to canada' information lately, i doubt it's relevant to a person who's been legitimately living in the USA for a long time.

Hi,

I am a Canadian currently on a TN that expires in Oct 2019. I am not returning to Canada near enough that date to apply for another TN at a POE so I am submitting a I-129. My questions are:

1) What should the employer's letter include? Should it state its a renewal or should it be the same format as the one I used at the POE 3 years ago.
2) Can I write the cheque for the $460? Or does it have to be my employer?
3) My wife is on TD (expires with mine). Does she need to renew with me or can we wait until I receive my TN and then apply when we cross back over to Canada?
4) Should I include ties to Canada with the Package?

Thank you,

1. Every TN is considered a new TN even its the same employer (but you can add "Continuing on"). You can use the almost same format as used before.
2. I-129 is always initiated by the employer and not you. So the check has to be from the employer
3. She can renew it with you (I539 i think) or once she cross back over.
4. My answer is NO. But let other experts chime in on this.

And regarding your last post, "Its a new TN with a new employer" and not an extension.
Think of it as applying for TN for the 1st time.

Just to be clear, border TNs are considered :new: each time. However, I-129 submissions, for the same employer are indeed considered extensions, and the date of the new I-94 will coincide with the expiry of the current one, There is even a box to tick for that purpose.

Hi Nelson, Since filing a I-129 for the same employer is considered an extension, should the Employer letter indicate that it is an extension and the reasons for the extension or can it be the same letter one would use at a POE? Also, is the employer required to pay the fee or can the employee supply the cheque for the fee?

Thank you

Hi Nelson, Since filing a I-129 for the same employer is considered an extension, should the Employer letter indicate that it is an extension and the reasons for the extension or can it be the same letter one would use at a POE? Also, is the employer required to pay the fee or can the employee supply the cheque for the fee?

Thank you

Every TN is considered a new TN even its the same employer (but you can add "Continuing on"). You can use the almost same format as used before.

You can pay the fee. Just have $56 CASH at the border.

Hey SS0033,

This isnt applicable to filing an I-129. I am not going to the border.

Thank you though.

Hey SS0033,

This isnt applicable to filing an I-129. I am not going to the border.

Thank you though.

My bad. i thought you were going to the border.

I-129 is ALWAYS employer initiated and he should be paying the fee.

Similar to rkelly, my current TN is expiring at the end of October. I will be going to Peace Bridge POE for getting a new TN. The above discussion references the offer letter. I do not believe my initial offer letter stipulates a three year term. I realize I will need a new support letter with new start/end dates and salary. Will I need to ask my employer for a new/revised offer letter along with a TN letter?

the offer letter is between you and the employer, and really has no bearing on TN process. Get a proper TN letter, and that will be all you need frpm employer.

1. TN "renewal" is not a real concept, you are simply applying for a new TN. Probably there's no reason not to use the same offer letter as you used before (with updated dates / compensation / etc.)

2. You are the one applying for the visa status, so there's no reason for you to not write the check, but i doubt it matters

4. I haven't used 'ties to canada' information lately, i doubt it's relevant to a person who's been legitimately living in the USA for a long time.

" living in the USA for a long time."

how long = long --> not qualify for tn due to immigration intension?

TN allows you to liv in US indefintely, ie. without limit, as long as your TN remains valid. There is no limit to the number of renewals. Remaining on TN for many years is not an indication of immigrant intent. In fact, quite the opposite.

TN allows you to liv in US indefintely, ie. without limit, as long as your TN remains valid. There is no limit to the number of renewals. Remaining on TN for many years is not an indication of immigrant intent. In fact, quite the opposite.

so its ok to stay in US under TN for many years, without being questioned the intention of immigration?

Yes. the fact that you sty on TN, and never even try to get a GC, shows that you have no intention of immigrating

FYI. Approved today at Champlain. I decided to go to the border and it was a breeze (process wise) having a 6 month old in tow was a bit more of a challenge. The officer asked if it was for the same company, slimmed the letter, took our finger prints we were off. He even updated our Nexus.