TN Renewal Letter

Hi,

I am a Canadian currently on a TN that expires in Oct 2019. I am not returning to Canada near enough that date to apply for another TN at a POE so I am submitting a I-129. My questions are:

1) What should the employer's letter include? Should it state its a renewal or should it be the same format as the one I used at the POE 3 years ago.
2) Can I write the cheque for the $460? Or does it have to be my employer?
3) My wife is on TD (expires with mine). Does she need to renew with me or can we wait until I receive my TN and then apply when we cross back over to Canada?
4) Should I include ties to Canada with the Package?

Thank you,

1. TN "renewal" is not a real concept, you are simply applying for a new TN. Probably there's no reason not to use the same offer letter as you used before (with updated dates / compensation / etc.)

2. You are the one applying for the visa status, so there's no reason for you to not write the check, but i doubt it matters

4. I haven't used 'ties to canada' information lately, i doubt it's relevant to a person who's been legitimately living in the USA for a long time.

Hi,

I am a Canadian currently on a TN that expires in Oct 2019. I am not returning to Canada near enough that date to apply for another TN at a POE so I am submitting a I-129. My questions are:

1) What should the employer's letter include? Should it state its a renewal or should it be the same format as the one I used at the POE 3 years ago.
2) Can I write the cheque for the $460? Or does it have to be my employer?
3) My wife is on TD (expires with mine). Does she need to renew with me or can we wait until I receive my TN and then apply when we cross back over to Canada?
4) Should I include ties to Canada with the Package?

Thank you,

1. Every TN is considered a new TN even its the same employer (but you can add "Continuing on"). You can use the almost same format as used before.
2. I-129 is always initiated by the employer and not you. So the check has to be from the employer
3. She can renew it with you (I539 i think) or once she cross back over.
4. My answer is NO. But let other experts chime in on this.

And regarding your last post, "Its a new TN with a new employer" and not an extension.
Think of it as applying for TN for the 1st time.

nelsona

Registered Users (C)
Just to be clear, border TNs are considered :new: each time. However, I-129 submissions, for the same employer are indeed considered extensions, and the date of the new I-94 will coincide with the expiry of the current one, There is even a box to tick for that purpose.