TN Renewal and Reluctant Employer

How much can submitting an I-129 normally cost in terms of lawyer fee on the US East coast. Will appreciate if you share your experience.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the good advice I recieved from this forum. I was able to convince my employer to sign my I-129. I sent in my I-129 a week before my TN expiration which was Oct 24th.

I was hoping to recieve my EAD and Advance Parole documents theoretically by Nov 5th, the three month cut off date. My wife and I were asked to come for finger prints in the last week of October. A couple of days after our finger printing, my wife recieved her EAD but I did not, although we finger printed the same day. Till today I have not recieved my EAD but have recieved Advance Parole a few days back.
Any ideas why my EAD is delayed but my wife got hers. Also if I can travel out of the country on Advance Parole but without EAD. My TN visa expired on Oct 24th. Your advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Any ideas why my EAD is delayed but my wife got hers. Also if I can travel out of the country on Advance Parole but without EAD. My TN visa expired on Oct 24th. Your advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

You can travel using the AP. The EAD is just a permission to work and has nothing to do with the entry into the country.

Talk to your lawyer regarding the EAD delays - there used to be a facility to make an appointment with the officer to get the EAD in case you do not get it within the 90 day period, I am not sure if it still exists.

While AP solves your travel isssues, it kills your TN, both the current one (if you had a current one) and the mailed-in renewal. When you are on TN, your MUST wait for BOTH the EAD and AP to travel and work seamlessly.

Do not leave US until you get your EAD.

While AP solves your travel isssues, it kills your TN, both the current one (if you had a current one) and the mailed-in renewal. When you are on TN, your MUST wait for BOTH the EAD and AP to travel and work seamlessly.

Do not leave US until you get your EAD.

Nelson,

His TN renewal will not be approved anyways, since he has applied for AOS, am I right? Then why worry about TN renewal getting killed?

Nelson,

His TN renewal will not be approved anyways, since he has applied for AOS, am I right? Then why worry about TN renewal getting killed?

While his TN will not be approved, he is relying on the grace period to work legally. Since his TN expired on Oct 24th, his work status is 'TN pending', and will stay such until (a) he leaves the US (b) he switches over to his EAD, or (c) his I-129 is denied/cancelled, whichever comes first.

So leaving, say, tomorrow, without having EAD, and then returning to US (using AP, of course, to preserve the AOS), leaves him with NO work authorization... until his EAD comes.

So, while he shouldn't worry about getting his TN renewed, he absolutely does have to worry about anything affecting the I-129 (like leaving US) until he has anothwer work document.

Thanks for clarifying this. You rule!

While his TN will not be approved, he is relying on the grace period to work legally. Since his TN expired on Oct 24th, his work status is 'TN pending', and will stay such until (a) he leaves the US (b) he switches over to his EAD, or (c) his I-129 is denied/cancelled, whichever comes first.

So leaving, say, tomorrow, without having EAD, and then returning to US (using AP, of course, to preserve the AOS), leaves him with NO work authorization... until his EAD comes.

So, while he shouldn't worry about getting his TN renewed, he absolutely does have to worry about anything affecting the I-129 (like leaving US) until he has anothwer work document.