TN renew, do I need DS-160 form?

IL TN

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I am with TN many years and the current one will expire by end of April. I was trying to renew it by mail this year and still on Initial Review. I am planning go to POE to get my TN in the next few days. I just went this web "travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1274.html#6"to see if there are some new updates and saw this,

From this web, I want to know Do I need to fill this DS-160 online form for TN renew?
I also want to know do I have to show the officer the I120 receipt or not?

Since I am with TN many years, I started to worry if this can be a problem for TN renewal

Bests!

You don't go to a consulate, you are Cdn, so DS form doesn't apply.

If you submitted an I-129, and it is not yet approved, then you casn take it to the border, but it is of no use, you need to make a border application.

When you get back with new TN, you must then cancel the I-129 before it is processed, in case it is denied.

I think the OP is Mexican. Therefore, Nelson's advice is wrong.

You need to apply at a US consulate before you cross the border back into the US. You will need to submit DS-160, passport, one photo, letter of employment, proof of education, and fee. Renewal from outside the US is exactly the same as getting the first TN. Same process exactly. You do not need to show the officer the receipt for the I-129. The I-129 application only matters if you do not leave the US and you wait for the USCIS to finished processing the I-129. If you leave the US when the I-129 is in the middle of being processed, then the I-129 is lost and useless.

Usted necesidad de aplicar en un consulado de los EE.UU. en Mexico o un otro pais, antes de cruzar la frontera. Usted tendrá que presentar DS-160, tu pasaporte, tu foto, carta de empleo, prueba de la educación, y la tarifa. Renovación es exactamente lo mismo que recibir la primera TN. Exactamente el mismo proceso. No es necesario para mostrar el oficial con el recibo de la I-129.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a Canadian and working in the states with TN many years, but still, I get nervous every renew time. I was trying to do it by mail this time because I do not want to take my child with me for the long distance driving. Renew by mail making me worry even more.

Thank you all for the quick and kind response!

I am a Canadian and working in the states with TN many years, but still, I get nervous every renew time. I was trying to do it by mail this time because I do not want to take my child with me for the long distance driving. Renew by mail making me worry even more.
Since you are Canadian, then Nelson's advice is correct for you. Just apply at the POE/PFI for a new TN, exactly the same as the first time you did it. No Ds-160 required. No I-129 required. When you return to the US, write a letter to USCIS referencing the Receipt Notice Number for your I-129 and tell them that you want to withdraw your I-129 application. I have done this before myself. Do not expect a response from USCIS for a very long time (maybe 6 months or more) regarding your request. However, you should assume that the request has been fulfilled.

By the way, the grammar of your writing is similar to someone who is using an online translator to convert their writing to English. Hence why i thought you were Mexican. :)

I understand:) Thank you very much for the consideration! English is my second language:(
After I register this forum and I did not get permission to post my question( I was going to ask if I have to go to POE or just wait for I120 since my boss paid the fee) . I emailed for the help and got the permission last night. Sorry! wrote without a brain. I will go to POE tomorrow :)

Gunt, Thank you for the suggestions!

Or you can convert your regular I-129 to a premium one and pay the extra $1000. It will be processed in less than 3 weeks.

Also if you have applied for I-129, then you can continue to work and be in TN status even past the expiration of your last TN as the USCIS is processing your new I-129. The simply fact of refiling the TN application puts you in a grace period when you can work as the I-129 is pending. There is no need for you to go the the border or even file Premium Processing. You get a 240 day grace period from the date of filing of the I-129.

Also if you have applied for I-129, then you can continue to work and be in TN status even past the expiration of your last TN as the USCIS is processing your new I-129. The simply fact of refiling the TN application puts you in a grace period when you can work as the I-129 is pending. There is no need for you to go the the border or even file Premium Processing. You get a 240 day grace period from the date of filing of the I-129.

Correct. Why does the original poster need to go to the border?

Thank you all!

I went POE and got my TN :), and I will mail the receipt to cancel the I-120

Correct. Why does the original poster need to go to the border?

I applied with I-129 because I did not want to make a trip to POE.
Then I started to worry if I-129 gets denied, I even do not have a chance to re apply.
At POE, at least the officer can tell me a few words.