TN Mail In Approved

Canadian John

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,

I wanted to bump up a thread I made about I-129 Mail-In TN renewals but it has disappeared so I will create this thread.

I sent in my I-129 to renew my TN status (which was expiring July 26, 2007)to the Vermont Service Center on May 24, 2007. The receipt date was May 29, 2007. I got an email notification today (July 31, 2007) that my I-129 Petition for a Nonimmigrant worker was approved and that an approval notice was sent so for anybody who may have filed an I-129 around the same time I did, hopefully you will hear something too.

Oddly enough, my I-129 was approved today, on the same day as my 1 year anniversary with this particular company.

My TN category is Scientific Technician (Engineering).

Take Care,

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucky you, I havent had any update on mine yet.

Mailed in begining of May, receipt notice date of May 14th.

Really? That's quite odd. Was your I-129 also mailed to the Vermont Service Center? Perhaps the specific person who is working on your case is just taking his/her time. Hopefully all will go well and you will hear something soon.

Keep us updated on what happens when you hear something. Post in this thread if you'd like.

John

The receipt notice was mailed to my companys office so I will assume that my approval notice will be sent there too.

Really? That's quite odd. Was your I-129 also mailed to the Vermont Service Center? Perhaps the specific person who is working on your case is just taking his/her time. Hopefully all will go well and you will hear something soon.

Keep us updated on what happens when you hear something. Post in this thread if you'd like.

John

Yeah, mine was mailed to Vermont. That I seem to be about 2 weeks behind you makes me think I am going to get a RFE or something, why else would the times be so staggered?

I've also checked my status online with them (still pending, not touched since May 17th) and via their phone service (still pending, not touched since May 17th).

I read more on their processing times and it says that I should wait until the case gets 30 days outside the scope of the currently posting times before trying to contact them about potential problems.

I am currently in the 240-day grace period, so I am really looking forward to an update from USCIS.

Just recieved a copy of my I-797A "Notice of Action" and the new I-94 (original) that came with it. So to add to this thread, it indeed gets mailed to your company, not your personal home adress. Hope all is well with your I-129 TN renewal Jake.

John B

I have to assume that things are ok until I hear otherwise, they have not updated their processing times and until I fall out of their timeframe I dont want to put extra worry on myself.

In the past week I have probably checked the processing dates 20 times at least and re-examined the i_129 and letter and compared it to last year's etc, I've done everything I'm supposed to and all I can do is wait.

Hi, Jack,
Please excuse me for asking this question because I am not sure about "240-day grace period", can you keep working after you mailed in your application for renewal of TN even though your current TN is expired? is this 240-days grace period about?
Thank you very much for your comments.

Hi, Jack,
Please excuse me for asking this question because I am not sure about "240-day grace period", can you keep working after you mailed in your application for renewal of TN even though your current TN is expired? is this 240-days grace period about?
Thank you very much for your comments.

As long as you have mailed in your I-129 TN Renewal BEFORE the expiration of your CURRENT TN status, you may remain and work for your current employer foy up to 240 days past the expiration date as listed on your I-94 while your I-129 is pending.

This 240 day grace rule works for renewals of TN status with your current employer and same job duties only. This grace period does not apply for CHANGE of employers.

So take me for example. My TN was set to expire July 26, 2007. We sent in the I-129 which was recieved by USCIS on May 29, 2007 (well before the expiry date of my TN). I continued to work WITH THE SAME EMPLOYER and under the same job duties as outlined in my TN renewal letter after my expiry date (July 26, 2007) and then my I-129 TN renewal was approved on July 31, 2007 so I was 5 days into the 240-day grace period.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
... and just to specify, the grace period only covers remaining in the US on that existing status.

Returning to US after the original TN expires, but before I-129 approval, will require you to get a new TN at the POE.

... and just to specify, the grace period only covers remaining in the US on that existing status.

Returning to US after the original TN expires, but before I-129 approval, will require you to get a new TN at the POE.

Nelson,

Does this 240 days grace period apply to the person that filed I-485?

Thanks

not sure what you mean, but simply filing an I-485 doesn't invalidate TN. It prevents you from renewing the TN, and from using the TN at the border, but if you filed I-129, and then subsequently filed I-485, your TN status remains valid until the I-129 is approved or rejected, or until you leave US.

Thereafter, you need EAD to work, and AP to travel.

Thanks Nelson,
Yes, I mean If I filed I-129 to renew the TN, and then later filed I-485. If by the date that my TN expires, I don't have an approval for TN renewal yet, also I do not have EAD yet, can I still work as TN renwal pending staus (240 days grace period)?

Was there something in my response that was unclear: "your TN status remains valid until the I-129 is approved or rejected, or until you leave US."

Hey question my TN got renewed and i got the email conformination that it was renewed and an approval notice was sent via mail... this was aug 17th and im planing to visit canada on the 25th aug .. my concern is my employer has not recieved any mail.. any ideas how long does it take to recieve the mail?