• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Thousands From Terror-Sponsoring Nations Entering U.S. on 'Diversity Visas'

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentlebee

Registered Users (C)
In the wake of the botched Christmas Day terror attack, members of Congress are worried that extremists could use the State Department's diversity visa lottery as a means of getting to the U.S.

The State Department is planning to welcome thousands of immigrants from terror-watch list countries into the United States this year through a "diversity visa" lottery -- a giant legal loophole some lawmakers say is a "serious national security threat" that has gone unchecked for years.

Ostensibly designed to increase ethnic diversity among immigrants, the program invites in thousands of poorly educated laborers with few job skills -- and that's only the beginning of its problems, according to lawmakers and government investigations.

"There are a lot of holes in this program in terms of security and in terms of fraud," said Rep. Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., who has written legislation aimed at killing the lottery.

Now, in the wake of the botched Christmas Day terror attack that emerged from Nigeria and Yemen, members of Congress are worried the system could be vulnerable to radicals looking to "play" the visa lottery as a means of reaching the U.S.

Here's how it works: to avoid getting stuck with 3.5 million others on a visa waiting list, hundreds of thousands of people put their names into the separate diversity lottery, which rewards countries that typically see low levels of immigration to the U.S. Immediate family are allowed to join lottery winners.

Countries like China, where lots of immigrants originate, are excluded.

Then a computer in Kentucky picks names at random from the qualified applicants, who need only a high school degree or two years at a job that requires two years of experience. The program accounts for about 10 percent of all immigrant visas each year.

Included in the lottery are all four countries the U.S considers state sponsors of terror -- Iran, Sudan, Cuba, and Syria -- and 13 of the 14 nations that are coming under special monitoring from the Transportation Security Administration as founts of terrorism. Pakistan is excluded because, like China, it sends over tens of thousands of immigrants each year and doesn't need to be in the lottery.

Among the winners for 2010 are:

Nigeria: 6,006
Iran: 2,773
Algeria: 1,957
Sudan: 1,084
Afghanistan: 345
Cuba: 298
Somalia: 229
Lebanon: 181
Libya: 152
Iraq: 142
Saudi Arabia: 104
Syria: 98
Yemen: 72

Though Umar Farouk Abdulmattallab, the 23-year-old Nigerian accused of trying to blow up an airliner on Christmas Day, used a tourist visa -- not a diversity visa -- to enter the country, Goodlatte said he worries that Al Qaeda members will game the system. He fears they will submit the names of young acolytes from Saudi Arabia or Yemen who have clean records and could gain entry to the U.S. to wreak havoc. More than 1,000 such visas have been granted to Yemenis in the past decade alone.

"You can take young people out of the madrassas that have no record of any activity with a terrorist organization but are loyal followers of Usama bin Laden," he said.

The State Department's Office of the Inspector General recommended in a 2003 report that terror-sponsoring nations be removed from the diversity visa program.

"OIG believes that this program contains significant vulnerabilities to national security as hostile intelligence officers, criminals and terrorists attempt to use it to enter the United States as permanent residents," the office's deputy inspector testified to Congress in 2004.

A separate report filed by the Government Accountability Office also faulted the program for being susceptible to widespread fraud. A cottage industry has emerged abroad to cater to the lottery, and it regularly bilks people out of massive amounts of money and even coerces some into marriage to keep their diversity visas.

But State Department officials told FoxNews.com that they have a powerful security protocol in place to protect the system -- a point underscored in their rebuttal to the GAO report.

"We do not see the DV (diversity visa) program as uniquely vulnerable," when it comes to state sponsors of terrorism, they said, because of careful vetting that includes "two types of biometric checks and name checks."

They acknowledged that fraud occurs in the lottery, with one official saying, "It is a sad reality that all visa categories encounter sham marriages, suspect identities, fraudulent documents, use of agents and unlikely stories" -- but they cited an "impressive array" of strategies they use to tackle fraud.
The program hasn't been without its cost: one beneficiary, whose wife received a diversity lottery visa, killed two people at Los Angeles International Airport in a 2002 shooting spree at the El Al ticket counter, an act the government labeled terrorism.
Still, the lottery has some staunch defenders, including Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, who is sponsoring an amendment that would double the number of diversity visas to 110,000 a year. Because of State Department enforcement and lack of interest, not all of the 55,000 visas offered each year are taken by winners of the lottery.
Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., argued that the program allows many immigrants to come and make lives for themselves in the U.S., including soccer phenom Freddy Adu, who formerly played for D.C. United.

"The Diversity Visa Program is the chance for many people of color around the world to immigrate to the United States and pursue the same American dream that many of the ancestors of the members [of Congress] here were able to pursue," Conyers said in congressional debate in 2007.

Yet the name of the game hasn't always been diversity, and some experts argue that the program itself is racist for using ethnic criteria for immigration.

Prominent Irish- and Italian-American lawmakers, including Sen. Ted Kennedy, crafted the law in 1988 as a way to confer legal status on immigrants from their countries of ancestry.

"If you look at the legislative history of it, it has nothing to do with diversity," said Anne Law, a professor of political science at DePaul University. Offering citizenship to hundreds of thousands of poorly educated illegal immigrants from Ireland and Italy was a hard sell to the public, she said, so congressmen used "diversity rhetoric" to mask ethnic pork-barrel politics.

"They were trying to tap into multiculturalism, so they thought, 'Let's jump on that bandwagon,'" she said. Government officials say the program offered 40 percent of its visas to the Irish in its early years.

Though legislation concerning the lottery has stalled in Congress, lawmakers who are seeking to end its funding say it has offered few advantages in its 21 years, even as it swells the ranks of poorly educated workers at a time of financial troubles in the United States.

"Why on Earth do we have a program that gives green cards to people for no reason whatsoever?" asked Goodlatte. "They have their names pulled out of a hat -- they have no job skills, no family -- [yet] they get to the front of the line."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-sponsoring-nations-entering-diversity-visas/

Some good and bad news in one story....

Good find... Interesting read, I won't be surprised if they change the lottery to a point system... Hopefully they won't get rid of it all :eek:

Btw...this wasn't the only article in the US yesterday. Michelle Malkin had a very negative article although something made sense when she pointed out that countries with terrorist ties got a lot of visa's without carefully checking the people out.

An easy solution IMO, if they just restrict these countries just as the UK and some other countries can't enter...don't let others pay the price for the bad people.

There is also no path for a GC for E2 visa holders so that is their only way just as many others have no other path than this lottery.

On this forum people help each other which is great but I also have read some posts that really make my hair go up and how some think they will get a GC by not filling out the right things and try to bend the truth....mostly I don't even respond to these posts, but it makes me wonder how much people like that entering the lottery and maybe ending up getting a visa and becoming a liability (some are even encourage by others by stating the system is there....bla bla bla) whichin the end is hurting others wo are honest and want to have their dream come true.

To me countries with high terrorist ties and scam's should looked at more close and checked more careful so the good pople from these countries have a chance and not the bad ones hurting millions of others...I rather have these countries eliminated than the whole lottery being cancelled!

Please refrain from racist comments in the post. All the posts that were not related to immigration have been deleted.
thanks

Please refrain from racist comments in the post. All the posts that were not related to immigration have been deleted.
thanks

and how come this topic hasn't been deleted yet
Code:
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=308233

ouch that political corectness is bound to backfire soon on this forum
on the other hand here is one funny observation -
I' m white (blond +blue eyes ) middle age guy and yet eVERY TIME I TRAVEL IN THE USA I GOT TAKEN ASIDE FOR THE PAT DOWN -LOL WHILE THEY ARE PATING ME DOWN WITH ONE EYE I CHECK WHO IS PASSING WITHOUT FUTHER ADO AND SUPRISE SUPRISE ITS AT LEAST 3-4 PEOPLE WHICH I WOULD POINT BLank refuse to bord the plane at the first place-this guys look the part of the ''terrorist on the lose '' to a T but yet .....they just breeze through!! )funny that !! go figure ...oh yes every official who took me aside and did ''the patting '' was of course ''non white''-something is broken but .......can not be fixed

Last edited by a moderator:
You have nice topic to talk with but these is not the often problem which America is facing in case of immigration government should look out at the illegal immigration to because it is more harmful to the nation security Illegal immigration is the movement of people across national borders in a way that violates the immigration laws of the destination country. Illegal immigrants are also known as illegal aliens to differentiate them from legal aliens. In politics, the term may imply a larger set of social issues and time constraints with disputed consequences in areas such as economy, social welfare, education, health care, slavery, prostitution, legal protections, voting rights, public services, and human rights. Conversely, illegal emigration refers to unlawfully leaving a country.

I agree with illegal aliens could be more harmful to the US. They never had any background check which people entering the DV lottery will get!

Unfortunately almost all terrorist involved in 9/11 and the diaper Nigerian from Christmas flight AMS to Detroit, all had visa's....due to this USCIS will hopefully perform their background checks even better, but it will hurt any visa program for sure...

well, i dont think there is not too much trouble involved with DV programme because for every DV applicant they check their background thoroughly. as in the case of bangladesh, they normally dont allow guys with 'Madsasha' background to pass through.

I completely agree with the above post.

But anyone who has had a "Madrassa" education (even if it is for a day) at any stage of their lives should not be allowed into the United States.

I completely agree with the above post.

But anyone who has had a "Madrassa" education (even if it is for a day) at any stage of their lives should not be allowed into the United States.

dude whats with you and the Muslims,Just keep your posts racist free if you wanna post here , IF not keep your mouth shut ...

Bro, can you read?

In context of the above post (Just the above post), I have not said anything racist.
I have not even mentioned any religion or the name used for the religion's followers.

I am talking about an education system.

It is an undisputed fact that "Madrassas" are terror factories.

I am making a point related to National Security, not religion.

If you like "Free Speech" and "Debate" to be restricted, why don't you immigrate to China. If you are coming to America, I suggest you read the Constitution.

"Congress shall make no law prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

According to CNN there are thousands of Al Qaida sympathisers in the United States willing to strike the homeland. (The most worrying thing about this is that since AQs ability to attack big attacks is diminished they might go after smaller targets, ie a gunman shooting "Crusader-Zionist" children in a school or a gunman on a shooting rampage in a mall)

We need to have an honest debate about our immigration policies in context of our security. How long are we going to tolerate daily plots to kill innocent Americans.

--Just another New Yorker who fears for his and his family's safety everyday.

Folks, there is a line between freedom and insult. Let us voluntarily restrain ourselves. Focus on helping and learning. There are plenty of other places we can vent our opinions.

I only posted the thread to give everybody the possibility to read what is in the news in the USA....nothing racist is about that and I agree with the host/administrator that no racism should be posted. It is just out there so people can read about it....maybe keep some things to your self and only post what is relevent towards the DV lottery.

If every one who is entering keeps them to the law and doesn't lie, the DV lottery will not be seen as a bad thing for immigration. The minute people show up with false intentions, it can harm millions other people.

If you like "Free Speech" and "Debate" to be restricted, why don't you immigrate to China. If you are coming to America, I suggest you read the Constitution.

"Congress shall make no law prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

According to CNN there are thousands of Al Qaida sympathisers in the United States willing to strike the homeland. (The most worrying thing about this is that since AQs ability to attack big attacks is diminished they might go after smaller targets, ie a gunman shooting "Crusader-Zionist" children in a school or a gunman on a shooting rampage in a mall)

We need to have an honest debate about our immigration policies in context of our security. How long are we going to tolerate daily plots to kill innocent Americans.

--Just another New Yorker who fears for his and his family's safety everyday.

Darkhorse, there is a big difference between free speech and racism. That quote you mentioned there doesn't mean you can abuse someone else just because you dislike them. I know a few Muslims and not one of them support terrorist organisations.

racism (noun.)

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

racist adj. & n.

I do not believe I have said anything against any race, so stop calling me a racist.

Race and religion are not the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.