1. freedoms12 (e-mail)
2. samoel (card mailed)
3. Minsk (e-mail)
4. lusiks (fax)
5. ukulele (fax)
6. nofreedom (fax)
7. asluser (e-mail)

nofreedom said:
I contacted anybody you can imagine. Is there anybody else?? let me know so I can fax it to them.

I think for now we should write to the senate leaders so they can put the bill in the agenda soon and to the WH so they can push them, after the bill is scheduled to get to the floor of the senate we can write/fax/email individual senators. By that time we can have a better idea who's pro and who's against.

I have emaild them, send WH a card and I'm going to ask my lawyer write a nice letter tomorrow. Also I'm contacting family members and asking them to do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
samoel said:
I think for now we should write to the senate leaders so they can put the bill in the agenda soon and to the WH so they can push them, after the bill is scheduled to get to the floor of the senate we can write/fax/email individual senators. By that time we can have a better idea who's pro and who's against.

I have emaild them, send WH a card and I'm going to ask my lawyer write a nice letter tomorrow. Also I'm contacting family members and asking them to do the same.

Yep, I contacted these people:

Barbara Boxer
Bill Frist
Harry Reid
Dick Durbin
Mitch McConnell
Ted Stevens
President George W. Bush

Including 2 senators from my State.

nofreedom said:
Yep, I contacted these people:

Barbara Boxer
Bill Frist
Harry Reid
Dick Durbin
Mitch McConnell
Ted Stevens
President George W. Bush

Including 2 senators from my State.

I just faxed out 15 letters.

BTW, my personal experience with government agencies is that faxes or letters are much more effective than email messages (the exception being the Governor of Florida). So I would urge those of you who emailed to follow up with letters.

Gilbert said:
I just faxed out 15 letters.

BTW, my personal experience with government agencies is that faxes or letters are much more effective than email messages (the exception being the Governor of Florida). So I would urge those of you who emailed to follow up with letters.

who are we missing Gilbert?

I agree 100% with Gilbert. Your emails will be LOST/DELETED even before being read. DO NOT email.

JUst FAX or MAIL letters. (or both if possible)

Keep it up guys... swamp them with letters to show them the importance of this matter.

thanks,

jw1951 said:
All,

We have whined here forever about the 10K cap and about how nobody gave a damn about us.

Now the U.S House has voted to abolish this cap. The bill now moves to the next stage of the legislative process.

AILA and other groups will be fighting against the more controversial elements of this bill. They probably would not have the energies to argue for the elimination of the adjustment cap.

So nobody is left to represent our interests. Only we can do that. We really need to get organized to have a political voice. Strength comes in numbers and there are at least 160,000 of us around the country. We have to explain to lawmakers as to why prompt adjustment is important to us and is good for the country. It is up to us to make the case.

Congress has never come that close to do away with the cap. If we let this chance slip by, they probably will not come that close again for a long time.
if I to support this bill, it means that I am a selfish person. Do you realize that this bill will make it almost impossible for people to apply for political asylum. Yes, your problems will be solved but thousands who escaped their bloody regimes may not be as lucky as you and may find America closing its doors for them. Let us go beyond our selfishness.

shamshon said:
if I to support this bill, it means that I am a selfish person. Do you realize that this bill will make it almost impossible for people to apply for political asylum. Yes, your problems will be solved but thousands who escaped their bloody regimes may not be as lucky as you and may find America closing its doors for them. Let us go beyond our selfishness.

I don't believe it is selffish. It is our interest. We should give out our voice. Otherwise, whoever will do something for us. Even there is no such attendment for removing the cap, if the bill gets enough support, it will be passed. Just like last 9/23, Senator Brownback did not offer the much anticipated asylee cap amendment to the Foreign Operations bill, the anti-immigration bill still passed.

shamshon said:

I also thougth about that...It's kind of tricky question. On one hand u are right. Less people will be able to get their asylum status.On the other government should struggle with fraud, though I presume their struggle will result only in reduction of approves asylee's cases,otherwise I can't imagine how they gonna check each individual story, and plus, 186000 unadjusted pending cases is awful situation. I debated , but finally decided to support the bill, because I think there are more adventages than disadventages.Don't u think so?

Minsk said:
I also thougth about that...It's kind of tricky question. On one hand u are right. Less people will be able to get their asylum status.On the other government should struggle with fraud, though I presume their struggle will result only in reduction of approves asylee's cases,otherwise I can't imagine how they gonna check each individual story, and plus, 186000 unadjusted pending cases is awful situation. I debated , but finally decided to support the bill, because I think there are more adventages than disadventages.Don't u think so?
Having lived in this country for 13 years and waited 11 years for my green card, I have noticed how congresss constantly ignored and humiliated immigrants. I expect that even if this bill passes, there will be a compromise and the first thing to go off the window will be the provision about eliminating the asylum cap. I am glad that we are mobilized and that we will send faxes but we need to have a more comprehensive approach to the problem.

same here. Faxed to a number of senators. Have already been here 14yrs.. was in the backlog awaiting the judge to hear the case for many year.. I am still waiting.. 7yrs later and no GC. Work with a refugee from Russia who came here 3yrs ago and he already got his GC. It's a painful wait.. very very painful.

Last edited by a moderator:
asluser said:
I don't believe it is selffish. It is our interest. We should give out our voice. Otherwise, whoever will do something for us. Even there is no such attendment for removing the cap, if the bill gets enough support, it will be passed. Just like last 9/23, Senator Brownback did not offer the much anticipated asylee cap amendment to the Foreign Operations bill, the anti-immigration bill still passed.

By the way,isn't that the reason why democrats are again the bill. And just imagine if they'll pass the bill without elimination asylee's cap. I wonder who will benefit? :rolleyes:

asluser said:

I am sorry...against the bill...

Asylees Who Act - Power by numbers!!!

Good job, everybody!

PEOPLE, JOIN IN!!!

1. freedoms12 (e-mail)
2. samoel (card mailed)
3. Minsk (e-mail)
4. lusiks (fax)
5. ukulele (fax)
6. nofreedom (fax)
7. asluser (e-mail)
8. miaumiau (fax)
9. pequin12 (fax)
10. paramvir1 (letter)
11. Gilbert (fax)

Do not oppose the bill

shamshon, the main point of this campaign is to make sure that the asylee adjustment provision is not forgotten. We don't know what the final compromise will be and how the final bill will look like - it's early to say. But it's naive to think that by opposing the bill altogether (which is unfortunately the current standpoint of democrats) we will protect future asylum seekers' or illegal immigrants' rights. This proposal was not pushed several times because of this and I don't think anybody benefited sofar. The truth is that the current system really needs new provisions and there is a reasonable middlepoint for two parties to meet. Our job is to make sure they don't forget about us, because at this point our issue seems like the only milestone that both parties agree on.

L.

I emailed and faxed. I am going to send letters out and make a call tomorrow. I am going to put an Advertisement on our community newspaper, let other asylees join this action. I do not know if it is too late.

I suggest if someone here lived in DC, just go to Capital Hill directly, give the letter to senator and congressman door to door. You will be our hero.

United we stand!