the reason not to go back to india

techy2468

Registered Users (C)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/5125810.stm

this article sums it up....how india still supports a indignified human life.....

for those whose false sense of nationalism/patriotism gets hurt....i am sorry....but i think its true how far india still has to go.....if things keep getting better(which i doubt) it will take another 30-40 years for india to be called as a developed country....

that said.....i have no other option....if USA keeps treating us like this......maybe go back and try to clean up a bit :)
(if you live in a shit it stinks......but if you are cleaning the shit it feels good , i just made this one up :)

To live in India you can't have a soft heart - if you do, I bet a 1000$, you go back, within few months, you will be dying to come back. You can't afford to be sympathetic to poverty. You should be able to eat a 300 rupee sandwich sitting in your car while a hungry person is begging outside your window.

By they way, if you bother about cleaning it, you will only end up with more stink.

Watchout for the next big thing in India - Crime

Last edited by a moderator:
techy2468 said:

this article sums it up....how india still supports a indignified human life.....

for those whose false sense of nationalism/patriotism gets hurt....i am sorry....but i think its true how far india still has to go.....if things keep getting better(which i doubt) it will take another 30-40 years for india to be called as a developed country....

that said.....i have no other option....if USA keeps treating us like this......maybe go back and try to clean up a bit :)
(if you live in a shit it stinks......but if you are cleaning the shit it feels good , i just made this one up :)

sounds like you have nothing much to do in Alabama...is this a flame thread???

Every place has its own problems ..

michael_holding said:
sounds like you have nothing much to do in Alabama...is this a flame thread???

Guys and Gals,

Its useless to debate this issue. There is no "perfect" place in this world. A lot also depends on a persons background. If someone has a successful family business setup in India then they can live like kings. Labor is so cheap that one does not have to lift a finger in their house. I do agree that one will have to turn a blind eye to poverty and such but people get used to almost anything if they live a particular lifestyle for a certain amount of time. This is not to say that its correct but its reality. As for Indias problems, they are very complex and they may never get fixed. All we can hope for is that things start getting better rather than worse.

regards,

saras

how is this article connected to the lifestyle you lead or plan to lead in India? are you poor, do u live in the slums? so ur saying bcos of these things happening, u have no choice but to live in the US..weird..if one is patriotic, there is nothing wrong with it - at least we have some people doing good for the country rather than people sitting in US telling what needs to be done without doing anything about it themselves.

techy2468 said:

Apologetic Indians

it never ceases to amaze me how many Indians only find negative things about India.

If you want to talk about poverty - guys let's talk about homeless in LA/ San Fransisco. How about the poverty issues in New Orleans? How about the food drives the local churches undertake everyday to obtain food for poor in USA.

The world richest country has over 19% citizens UNDER POVERTY.

Well, sitting in good ol' America, we have "immuned" ourselves to such poverty.

And to all Indians on this forum - 25% of Indians in USA live in poverty. There is poverty among us RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW. what are we doing about it.

So, let's stop deriding India.

I can give enough statistics about any country in this world which can portray the dark side of humans - and if you want I can start with BBC's home country - Great Britain.

Regards
GCStrat :)

like someone said above, its no use debating on this. Such statements inevitably lead to flame threads. The opinions are strong on both sides.

From what I have seen, if someone wants to go, they will. If not, they will always find reasons not to. There is no right or wrong here just a matter of personal needs\tastes etc. Many times it just looks like people are trying to justify themselves on something and are looking for support.

Bottomline, research and decide what works best for you and live happily and non-regrettably.

i apologize for starting this thread.....but i still feel that some people do have problem accepting reality........but since its such a hot subject...no point in debating....i guess this issue is like another debate about religion.........sorry..

saras76 said:
Guys and Gals,

Its useless to debate this issue. There is no "perfect" place in this world. A lot also depends on a persons background. If someone has a successful family business setup in India then they can live like kings. Labor is so cheap that one does not have to lift a finger in their house. I do agree that one will have to turn a blind eye to poverty and such but people get used to almost anything if they live a particular lifestyle for a certain amount of time. This is not to say that its correct but its reality. As for Indias problems, they are very complex and they may never get fixed. All we can hope for is that things start getting better rather than worse.

regards,

saras

unless you lived in the western world all your life and suddenly you are transported to india (maybe the writer of the story in bbc might have been) all of us are immune to abject poverty and living conditions in india....i think you are preaching to the choir here....
obviously we give small change, or food to people everyday in india...its sometimes a tradition (langar in North india, annadanam in south india).
people do help each other...
i do not agree the part about problems never getting fixed....how do you say that...if we can try why not...i think it will get fixed...these problems never got created in a couple of years and they are not going to be fixed 5-10 years either...atleast India is moving in the right track after all these years...

after reading some of the perspective from our own brethern on the topic, it makes you wonder how some westerners go from USA/europe to places like sub-saharan africa, south asia and work in so many NGOs, hats off to those people who leave their creature comforts in western world to go to totally alien land to do service - whatever their motivation might be.

Hi Guys,
A BBC correspondent based in Delhi can do nothing else to obtain instant publicity...rake up an issue which is totally false, mix it up with some half truths and create a situation where hate mails stream in...She probably learnt it from Dan Brown and the 'Da vinci Code'. ..

Has she forgotten her gender and was she treated like that?

I have travelled the length and breadth of India and the portrayal couldn't be more lopsided. There are states where the females outnumber the males. The southern states are proud to honour and respect the female gender and their importance in society is recognised. In fact in two of the states it is the female who controls power in the house.

Quote-"The heat is stifling here. Some days it's pushing 45 degrees. My body is overheating and we're only two thirds of the way there!

...." The only place she could be entering into is an oven called "Tandoor"where the Indian's bake a cake similar to a crusty pizza.
Can't she afford an AC or a ceiling fan.

Quote "25 million other women are expected to give birth in India this year. With the very best medical care, our bundle of joy stands a good chance, but one out of 22 Indian babies will not survive beyond its first month..."

As per UNICEF its almost at the world average . http://www.photius.com/ wfb1999/rankings/infant_mortality_0.html

Why does she want special privileges in knowing the sex of the child?

India is in a state of transition..yes..there are two sides to a coin..and the competition is stiff. This drives down the prices. Some cities like Bombay( Mumbai) are costlier than New York. And No other place in the world makes the American Dollar last more for entertainment or business. FYI $1 would get you 10 sandwiches in a 3 star Hotel....unless of course you are gullible and get swindles. Yes they could give the guys in downtown manhattan a run for the money. Every country has excellent Medical Facilities....for $1500 a day you spend in US you could spend a month in India with the same facilities.And Not to forget the fact that almost all the major companies in the world have hired Indian Talent...In India the mentally agile enjoy. Just wait and watch..Navdip the mentally ill critic will get kicked out.

India is much better today than 10 years back....

India will be much better 10 years from now than Today...

Its in upward trend....

Yes things are getting better ..

michael_holding said:
unless you lived in the western world all your life and suddenly you are transported to india (maybe the writer of the story in bbc might have been) all of us are immune to abject poverty and living conditions in india....i think you are preaching to the choir here....
obviously we give small change, or food to people everyday in india...its sometimes a tradition (langar in North india, annadanam in south india).
people do help each other...
i do not agree the part about problems never getting fixed....how do you say that...if we can try why not...i think it will get fixed...these problems never got created in a couple of years and they are not going to be fixed 5-10 years either...atleast India is moving in the right track after all these years...

michael_holding,

I agree with you. Do not misunderstand me when I say that "some" problems may never get mixed, I am certain that a lot of them can and will be fixed. I was being very pratical. If you look back 10 years, India was no where close to what it is now, if things keep on track then 10-20 years from now things should get even better.

As for moving back, there are a lot of considerations other than Indias progress that come into play. As an old Indian saying goes,"Dhobi ka kutta, nah ghar ka nah ghat ka ... you get the picture ..

regards,

saras

If you could emphasize when you see a kid begging for food , I will call you a human being. Let the kid be in China, India, America, or where ever.

Hats off to those who support the democratic process in India and of course to those who support the defenseless common person of India. I show my empathy by contributing whatever some of money I could, to those needed it.

When you are in deep confusion whether to go for a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord or because of your green card blues....you could easily forget your (your parent's or grand parent's) past, who fought for their mother land by sacrificing their own life’s. They made a life for you whether in America or in India.

I am deeply Indian (whether I get a GC or not) and I feel more responsible (after coming here) to support and help those who need help from me. Being in America, I can have better exchange rate for my salary income, and I can spare Rs10 a day for that very kid on the street, who could easily land up in a red street for survival. After all the exchange rate of my income makes me a better professional than the ones in India....how stupid. Show me where else is the difference.

Thanks for starting this thread....and thanks for showing how you think when you are in a comfortable situation compared to those in India.

Sorry, no offense....I am just sad in reading this thread.

Who want to go back please take the first step and set the example for others. It is the time to prove it. Maybe I will join you too... Afterall it is our own country and our own people.

Apollo_13 said:

Its in upward trend....

I disagree.

More cell phones, more cars, more TV channels -- so it is better??????

Compared to 10 years back, pollution is more, corruption is more, crime more, population is more. I only see these things getting worse over next 10 years.

indone said:
Hi Guys,
I have travelled the length and breadth of India and the portrayal couldn't be more lopsided. There are states where the females outnumber the males. The southern states are proud to honour and respect the female gender and their importance in society is recognised. In fact in two of the states it is the female who controls power in the house.

Simple question to you: If a person get murdered in India, what is the possibility that the criminal will ever be caught and punished (for 13 yrs)?

GreenCardVirus said:
Simple question to you: If a person get murdered in India, what is the possibility that the criminal will ever be caught and punished (for 13 yrs)?
None. I was bit optimistic about India few months back but now will all politicians talking about quota and more quotas everywhere I will dissuade everyone from going back to India as well as investing for the longer term. no wonder idiots like VP singh go to london from treatment since they dont trust Indian doctors

Apollo_13 said:

Its in upward trend....
not really. upward in some respects are bad . for eg there is upward trend in quotas too. if you have kids my advice is DONT GO BACK to India.