The interview experience ... with a host of complications

I have 2 questions for So Special. Did you enclose the copies of the court dispositions with your application? Or you just just listed them in the application and brought them to the interview?

At this point, he verified authenticity of the disposition, confirming their seals and placed them in my folder.

Can one get back these original copies for other use even for next
citizenship application in case current one is denied?

So_Special, I'm so happy it all worked out for you, I'm sure you were a bit apprehensive to start the naturalization process with 5 arrests no matter how far back they go. I'm glad you hired an attorney to help you through the process and go to your interview with you, it was a wise move.

Congrats !

Congratulation, So_Special, with successful interview. And thank you for posting
your experience.

The only problem is that bringing a lawyer cost money. If lawyers are free, I'll bring 100 laywers just fopr fun of it. But they are expensive so people have to balance.
And that is why bringing a lawyer is usually a waste of money for people who don't have any criminal history, but the lawyer can make the difference for those who do have such issues to worry about.

Is it true that USCIS only consider corut documents to be certified only if it carries a RAISED seal?

Not to defend roxy2009's comments in any form or shape, but there are people who never got into a fight as a teenager, never smoked, never drank and never did anything against the law. Having said that, such people still do not have the right to pass judgement. Once again, I am not defending roxy2009.

You've never got into a fight as a teenager?
Never smoked pot?
Driving without a license could happen to anybody, especially in the US where if you don't have a car you're isolated from any kind of social life (with very few exceptions).

Not to defend roxy2009's comments in any form or shape, but there are people who never got into a fight as a teenager, never smoked, never drank and never did anything against the law. Having said that, such people still do not have the right to pass judgement. Once again, I am not defending roxy2009.

It's fine, and there are people that never did anything illegal and one day they wake up and shot 20 people.
You're right, judgement isn't needed and every petition should be adjudicated on a case-by-case.

I think the ultimate point was that we all make mistakes so we should not judge somebody's else life or actions, and plus this is not the appropriate venue for this. I have never smoked pot, or gotten into a fight but that doesn't mean that I am perfect.

In the end, So_Special's case can help others who have had run-ins with the law, and that's what this forum is designed for, isn't it?

Congratulations So_special and thanks for sharing your details. You proved that you can still get approved with all the "bad" records.

I have 2 questions for So Special. Did you enclose the copies of the court dispositions with your application? Or you just just listed them in the application and brought them to the interview?
The answer is no, I did not include certified copies with my application. I listed them on a separate sheet of paper and included copies of the dispositions. I brought all the certified court copies with me with the raised seal to the interview. That is a must
Can one get back these original copies for other use even for next
citizenship application in case current one is denied?
No, CIS will keep the certified copies and yes, they must have a raised seal. Without the raised seal, they are not acceptable. You can go back to the Court where your case was handled to obtain addtl copies if needed. Some courts charge a fee.
So_Special, I'm so happy it all worked out for you, I'm sure you were a bit apprehensive to start the naturalization process with 5 arrests no matter how far back they go. I'm glad you hired an attorney to help you through the process and go to your interview with you, it was a wise move.
I think having the attorney present with me made a significant difference even if she didnt have to say a word. She has 20 years exp and know a lot of the other ICS staff and attorneys at the site. I think anyone who has had any brush with the law should deal with ICS with an attorney. One bit of misinformation or too much of it can send you in an endless odyssey.

Last edited by a moderator: