The interview experience ... with a host of complications

So_Special

Registered Users (C)
If any of you remember I had this thread here a while back looking for opinions on ppl experience on n-400 interviews. Here I'll share my experience and hope it helps someone. I brought an attorney with me to the interview based on the criminal issues in my background. He charged me a lot and send a colleague to accompany at the interview.

The interview went extremely smooth given I had a 5 prior arrests and a child support issue. We were called in about 25mns after arriving and my attorney and I walked into the IO's office. We sat, he introduced himself and so did we then I took the "truth serum" and we sat. He went over my paper and asked me nothing. He had a red pen and started crossing a bunch of things out and taking notes. His first question to me:

i/o: Is there anything else he needs to know about my application or has anything change since I applied?

Very broad question to say the least- I responded nothing I can think of in regards to the application. Then I said I had some int'l travels that werent listed on the application bec I didnt remember. I said I brought a separate sheet with the travel dates, he then said ok, save it for later when we go over the application. He continued making notes, checks here and there, crossed out this and that for almost a full 3 minutes and said almost nothing. The he started:
I/O: How many trips outside the country in the last 5 years?
me: 5, however, forgot to add 2 more to CAN
I/O: When did you go?
me: first time in the late 90's for a week and also for a week after I file the n-400
I/O: Ok, thats not relevant you can keep the sheet, I'll note them here
me: Ok
I/O: how many times you've been arrested?
me: 5
I/O: Do you have dispositions for all 5 cases
me: yes, I have the certified ones with me
I/O: I need them, take them out
I/O: you were charged with possession of a weapon, what kind of weapon?
me: a metal chain
i/o: and you were arrested for a suspended license, you have proof you paid the fine?
me: yes, it's listed as paid and the amount on the disposition
I/O: please take out all the dispositions
me: here they are
At this point, he verified authenticity of the disposition, confirming their seals and placed them in my folder.

i/o: you have a child, not with your wife and you dont know where he is?
me: thats correct, sir
i/o: did you ever have any orders to pay child support from any city/state or authorized agencies?
me: no
i/o: do you support the child?
me: yes, sir
i/o: do you evidence of support?
me: i have western union transfer receipts for the last year, a 529 college savings with $ contributions
i/o let's see them -ok thats fine
i/o: is there anything else I need to know?
me: in regards to the app? nothing I can think of
i/o: are you ready to take the civics and written tests?

We then moved on the civics written and history and that that was it.
No questions asked about taxes, nothing asked to describe what happened in any of the incidents where I was arrested. The interview lasted all but 25mins. In the end, I got to "You have been recommended for approval".
My attorney said almost nothing during the interview as there was nothing for her to intervene in. I have no idea if there was a cause and effect factor there.

Yesterday, I received my oath letter in the mail for later this month.

I'll be happy to help you guys with any questions in regards to my exp.

My attorney said almost nothing during the interview as there was nothing for her to intervene in. I have no idea if there was a cause and effect factor there.
A large benefit of hiring the attorney is just them being there, as their presence can deter the interviewer from going off into a string of overly invasive questions.

If any of you remember I had this thread here a while back looking for opinions on ppl experience on n-400 interviews. Here I'll share my experience and hope it helps someone. I brought an attorney with me to the interview based on the criminal issues in my background. He charged me a lot and send a colleague to accompany at the interview.

The interview went extremely smooth given I had a 5 prior arrests and a child support issue. We were called in about 25mns after arriving and my attorney and I walked into the IO's office. We sat, he introduced himself and so did we then I took the "truth serum" and we sat. He went over my paper and asked me nothing. He had a red pen and started crossing a bunch of things out and taking notes. His first question to me:

i/o: Is there anything else he needs to know about my application or has anything change since I applied?

Very broad question to say the least- I responded nothing I can think of in regards to the application. Then I said I had some int'l travels that werent listed on the application bec I didnt remember. I said I brought a separate sheet with the travel dates, he then said ok, save it for later when we go over the application. He continued making notes, checks here and there, crossed out this and that for almost a full 3 minutes and said almost nothing. The he started:
I/O: How many trips outside the country in the last 5 years?
me: 5, however, forgot to add 2 more to CAN
I/O: When did you go?
me: first time in the late 90's for a week and also for a week after I file the n-400
I/O: Ok, thats not relevant you can keep the sheet, I'll note them here
me: Ok
I/O: how many times you've been arrested?
me: 5
I/O: Do you have dispositions for all 5 cases
me: yes, I have the certified ones with me
I/O: I need them, take them out
I/O: you were charged with possession of a weapon, what kind of weapon?
me: a metal chain
i/o: and you were arrested for a suspended license, you have proof you paid the fine?
me: yes, it's listed as paid and the amount on the disposition
I/O: please take out all the dispositions
me: here they are
At this point, he verified authenticity of the disposition, confirming their seals and placed them in my folder.

i/o: you have a child, not with your wife and you dont know where he is?
me: thats correct, sir
i/o: did you ever have any orders to pay child support from any city/state or authorized agencies?
me: no
i/o: do you support the child?
me: yes, sir
i/o: do you evidence of support?
me: i have western union transfer receipts for the last year, a 529 college savings with $ contributions
i/o let's see them -ok thats fine
i/o: is there anything else I need to know?
me: in regards to the app? nothing I can think of
i/o: are you ready to take the civics and written tests?

We then moved on the civics written and history and that that was it.
No questions asked about taxes, nothing asked to describe what happened in any of the incidents where I was arrested. The interview lasted all but 25mins. In the end, I got to "You have been recommended for approval".

Yesterday, I received my oath letter in the mail for later this month.

I'll be happy to help you guys with any questions in regards to my exp.

Could you please provide your timeline and DO?

Arrested 5 times? And you are happy and proud saying it?

What is wrong with the U.S. government giving citizenships to criminals ???
wow wow wow !!!

wow wow wow !!!

Totally unnecessary.
First of all, the OP wasn't proudly saying it, it was just sharing very useful information regarding an out-of-the-box case.
You've never got into a fight as a teenager?
Never smoked pot?
Driving without a license could happen to anybody, especially in the US where if you don't have a car you're isolated from any kind of social life (with very few exceptions).
Nobody needs you to judge anybody.

wow wow wow !!!

First, what makes you think that he is happy and proud of saying it? Second, he is not a criminal. And lastly, these incidents happened a long time ago, way out of the 5-year statutory period. And anyway, who are you to judge? This forum is not meant to judge other people's past experience, but rather help them with the application process when they may or may not have obstacles along the way...

Wow, Are you seriouse? I always thought this kind of case will be deportable cae but here you are proving othervise.
Could you tell us more detail like what was your GC based on, where your district and local USCIS office is and any other useful info.
Thanks

wow wow wow !!!

I appreciate the other folks setting you straight on my behalf b/c the truth is no, I am not proud of having any kind of arrest on my record. Like the others mentioned, this was my experience so I shared it in case it can help others. So, for this reason I'll just disregard your comment like you don't exist!

To be honest ppl, I didnt keep track of the time line as I see in some people's sig. Now, I wish I did. I will have to look in the folder I took with me to the appt and provide you with very close to exact dates but this is what I remember. I had these appts synced in my blackberry

9/30/08 - Sent N-400 app
11/12/08 - FP Complete
2/XX/09 - Appt letter received
4/28/09 - Interview Appt at Garden City (Rec for Approval, ltr 2b mailed)
5/13/09 - Received Oath Ltr
5/27/09 - Oath Date

I also want to say a big thanks for the valuable information I received on this board from other's experiences. There are some folks here just to discourage others but the majority of folks are very, very helpful. We should learn to appreciate that people take their time to help out others.

On a side note, I should mention to you guys that I plan to take the LSAT this June for law school. I always wanted to go to Law School and have a undergrad in Political Science.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Are you seriouse? I always thought this kind of case will be deportable cae but here you are proving othervise.
Could you tell us more detail like what was your GC based on, where your district and local USCIS office is and any other useful info.
Thanks
Actually, the only deportable offense would have been the theft of svces, believe it or not. You cannot be deported for minor traffic infractions such as suspended license as CIS is not even interested in them. The other stuff happened while I was still a minor so I guess that helped.
D/O = Garden City

On a side note, I should mention to you guys that I plan to take the LSAT this June for law school. I always wanted to go to Law School and have a undergrad in Political Science.

Good for you! Also, congrats on your successful interview!

A large benefit of hiring the attorney is just them being there, as their presence can deter the interviewer from going off into a string of overly invasive questions.

How can it work? Don't IO have he right to ask whether you have a lawyer or not?

How can it work? Don't IO have he right to ask whether you have a lawyer or not?
They don't have the right to ask anything under the sun. They're supposed to stick to the questions on the form and the evidence relevant to it.

They don't have the right to ask anything under the sun. They're supposed to stick to the questions on the form and the evidence relevant to it.

Then even without a lawyer, can we remind them of that? They may say :
"I don't care. I just want to ask you any question I like". But they can still
say that even if you bring a lawyer. By the way, I do not see any harm
if they ask more questions. You just answer them.

Then even without a lawyer, can we remind them of that? They may say :
"I don't care. I just want to ask you any question I like". But they can still
say that even if you bring a lawyer.
Sure, they CAN ask you what they want, just like a robber CAN rob a shop with a security guard. But there still is a deterrent effect.

The lawyer can use the unwarranted questions to discredit the interviewer if there is a denial and appeal, so the interviewer will usually be a bit more careful with what they ask.
By the way, I do not see any harm
if they ask more questions. You just answer them.
Have you stopped beating your wife, Yes or No? When did you stop using cocaine? <-- acceptable questions if you've admitted wife beating or cocaine use on the N-400 or been arrested for it, otherwise it is unjustified questioning that can make you look bad no matter how you answer.

In addition to some questions being damaging or prejudicial, other questions involve them asking for documents that you don't have (which you didn't bring because they're not relevant or required), resulting in your case getting delayed or denied. So it's not always possible to "just answer them".

In addition to some questions being damaging or prejudicial, other questions involve them asking for documents that you don't have (which you didn't bring because they're not relevant or required), resulting in your case getting delayed or denied. So it's not always possible to "just answer them".

The issue is that they don't make decision in your and yoru lawyer's
presence. So your lawyer can not prevent USCIS from making a bad
decision.

The issue is that they don't make decision in your and yoru lawyer's
presence.
But they ask the questions in you and your lawyer's presence. And the appeal is also done in you and your lawyer's presence.
So your lawyer can not prevent USCIS from making a bad
decision.
The lawyer can't prevent, the lawyer can deter or object. Without the lawyer's objection, most people would just answer the question anyway, and may end up revealing damaging information.

But they ask the questions in you and your lawyer's presence. And the appeal is also done in you and your lawyer's presence.

The lawyer can't prevent, the lawyer can deter or object. Without the lawyer's objection, most people would just answer the question anyway, and may end up revealing damaging information.

The only problem is that bringing a lawyer cost money. If lawyers are free, I'll bring 100 laywers just fopr fun of it. But they are expensive so people have to balance.