"THE FACT SHEET" A HUGE DISCRIMINATION AGAINST ASYLEE

Robert72

Registered Users (C)
This Document Is Not More Than A Discriminatory Paper Against Poor Victims.
The Persecution Is Not Over My Friends.

Can We Do Something About It?

Robert72 said:

Hi Robert,

Can you please elaborate on how it's discriminatory? I mean it's not what we (asylees) want, but I don't see it as being discriminatory. America gave us a safe place to stay because we are dicriminated by our own countries. What more do we want? And this fact sheet is aimed mostly at people who take advantage of the system and abuse it. They say they are persecuted by their COP, but they go back and forth any time they want. For an outisder, it's really hard to believe that these people were persecuted. If one goes back a couple of times or so for "good" reasons, that person doesn't have a problem, but I think the fact sheet concerns those who abuse it.

I don't think there is anything we can do. We just have to wait until we become USCs to go back. That's all!

It's like a friend who tells you she is being abused by her husband, that he is going to kill her and that she is really scared of him and for her life. You help her get out of the marriage and help her get a restraining order on her husband. You even go futher and let her stay with you in your house until she gets on her feet. But everytime you turn around, she goes to her husband and stays with him. After few of those, are you going to believe her? Why would she go to her husband's house if she is scared of him??

You Make Your Point

You Make Your Point But I Am Not Agree, Sorry.
You Have The Insight Of Abused Person, But Know You Have Rights, Not Just Right For Have A Gc, You Have Right Because You Are Human Being And Deserve To Be Treated Like Everybody Else, Not Exclussions For Us Because You Are Or Were An Asylee.
Sorry Move On, For How Long More You Want To Life Like A Asylee, Is Enought, Untie Your Chains, Be Free And Use Your Freedom With Wisdom And Resposability.
Like A Gc Holder We Need To Enjoy Of The Same Rights And Resposabilities That Any Other Pr.
Or Just The Uscis At Least Can Be Honest With Us And With Themselves And Just Not Give Us The Gc, And Let Us Be Asylee For Ever, And Contine In The Limbo, Limbo To Travel, Or What Do You Think About That Rtd, Valid Just For 1 Year, So Expensive, And That Usually Take 3 Or More Months.
Is Not Fair Think That Every Single Asylee, Is Just A Fake Case Of Immigration, Somebody That Just Want A Gc, That's Is Not My Case, I Dont Came Here To Have A Better Life Or A Gc, I Used To Have A Better Life In My Country, I Came Because I Did Not Have Any Other Option, And If The Circumstances Change In My Country I Will Not Think Twice And I Will Go Back.

Robert72 said:
You Make Your Point But I Am Not Agree, Sorry.
You Have The Insight Of Abused Person, But Know You Have Rights, Not Just Right For Have A Gc, You Have Right Because You Are Human Being And Deserve To Be Treated Like Everybody Else, Not Exclussions For Us Because You Are Or Were An Asylee.
Sorry Move On, For How Long More You Want To Life Like A Asylee, Is Enought, Untie Your Chains, Be Free And Use Your Freedom With Wisdom And Resposability.
Like A Gc Holder We Need To Enjoy Of The Same Rights And Resposabilities That Any Other Pr.
Or Just The Uscis At Least Can Be Honest With Us And With Themselves And Just Not Give Us The Gc, And Let Us Be Asylee For Ever, And Contine In The Limbo, Limbo To Travel, Or What Do You Think About That Rtd, Valid Just For 1 Year, So Expensive, And That Usually Take 3 Or More Months.
Is Not Fair Think That Every Single Asylee, Is Just A Fake Case Of Immigration, Somebody That Just Want A Gc, That's Is Not My Case, I Dont Came Here To Have A Better Life Or A Gc, I Used To Have A Better Life In My Country, I Came Because I Did Not Have Any Other Option, And If The Circumstances Change In My Country I Will Not Think Twice And I Will Go Back.

They do not treat every asylee or every LPR that adjusted from asylee as a fake case. Even if they say that the asylum can be revoked if the asylee's circumstances change that does not mean that they just revoke the asylum if the country' s goverment/system changed. Asylums are not granted as class action based on the country's circumstances, they are granted to the individuals who are persecuted in that country. And an individual can be persecuted even in the country with the democratic goverment (like that guy from France that was granted a US asylum in 2001 or 2002). Respectively, the change of circumstances per se in the COP does not mean that the circumstances changed for the asylee from that country; and asylum just can not be revoked on the pure basis of the change of goverment in the COP - it would be the violation of human rights. But if the asylee or the former asylee goes to the COP he/she demostrates that his/her individual circumstances have changed and that there is no danger to them in their home country, at least not any more. But honestly, how often and how fast do these circumstances REALLY change? There is always a possibility that the claimed persecution did not exist in the first place. And the asylum office or INS office has a reason to REASSESS the case of the asylee who is found going to his COP freely after getting a GC. It is in the process of the reassessment that they find out whether there was fraud or not and further action is taken. I don't see anything discriminating in this fact sheet. And in my personal opinion, a chance for an asylee to adjust is a blessing. It is a way to the citizenship, and being a PR is different from being asylee even if you don't need to travel. If we want to unite in a motion to promote better conditions for ourselves, we should unite around something productive - like a motion to make the RTD valid for at least 5 years, or a motion to get an accelerated citizenship for the asylees due to our tricky "citizenless" situation. That is something to write to our Congressmen about.

Robert72 said:

I also agree with other posters, this is not discrimantory. When you claim asylum, you say you are scared to go back, when you go back, you are saying you feel ok to go back.

Some poster on this forum once said that "One person ruins it for everyone". As the newspaper article shows, maybe lots of columbians started to ask if they can go back? and USCIS said "enough is enough", we need to set things straight for these people..they are starting to abuse our system.

If you have valid reason, you can go ahead and there is 99% chance they wont say anything to you but those 1% who seem to make it as their "holiday" destination every few months can screw it up for everyone.

Correct me if I am wrong, Asylee cap was created to discourage people to apply for asylum.

wantmygcnow said:
I also agree with other posters, this is not discrimantory. When you claim asylum, you say you are scared to go back, when you go back, you are saying you feel ok to go back.

Some poster on this forum once said that "One person ruins it for everyone". As the newspaper article shows, maybe lots of columbians started to ask if they can go back? and USCIS said "enough is enough", we need to set things straight for these people..they are starting to abuse our system.

If you have valid reason, you can go ahead and there is 99% chance they wont say anything to you but those 1% who seem to make it as their "holiday" destination every few months can screw it up for everyone.

Correct me if I am wrong, Asylee cap was created to discourage people to apply for asylum.

I can confirm that some elements of DHS have been really annoyed by this situation.

thankful said:
I can confirm that some elements of DHS have been really annoyed by this situation.

Thankful and the funny thing is, the way it works with DHS is this. Few people of lets say non-profiled countries(South American countries) take the liberty of visiting their COP after their GC and do it often which results in DHS
questioning a valid COP visit of a PR(ex asylee) who is from a middle eastern country.

Thankful, can you also clear your PM's so I can send you one...

Last edited by a moderator:
doctorn said:
They do not treat every asylee or every LPR that adjusted from asylee as a fake case. Even if they say that the asylum can be revoked if the asylee's circumstances change that does not mean that they just revoke the asylum if the country' s goverment/system changed. Asylums are not granted as class action based on the country's circumstances, they are granted to the individuals who are persecuted in that country. And an individual can be persecuted even in the country with the democratic goverment (like that guy from France that was granted a US asylum in 2001 or 2002). Respectively, the change of circumstances per se in the COP does not mean that the circumstances changed for the asylee from that country; and asylum just can not be revoked on the pure basis of the change of goverment in the COP - it would be the violation of human rights. But if the asylee or the former asylee goes to the COP he/she demostrates that his/her individual circumstances have changed and that there is no danger to them in their home country, at least not any more. But honestly, how often and how fast do these circumstances REALLY change? There is always a possibility that the claimed persecution did not exist in the first place. And the asylum office or INS office has a reason to REASSESS the case of the asylee who is found going to his COP freely after getting a GC. It is in the process of the reassessment that they find out whether there was fraud or not and further action is taken. I don't see anything discriminating in this fact sheet. And in my personal opinion, a chance for an asylee to adjust is a blessing. It is a way to the citizenship, and being a PR is different from being asylee even if you don't need to travel. If we want to unite in a motion to promote better conditions for ourselves, we should unite around something productive - like a motion to make the RTD valid for at least 5 years, or a motion to get an accelerated citizenship for the asylees due to our tricky "citizenless" situation. That is something to write to our Congressmen about.

Just a little comment on change in circumstances....let's just think about Bosnia as an example... Say you were an F1 student while the war started and you do not want/cannot go back since your home is destroyed and family killed/fled. So you applied for asylum and easily were approved (I do not want to use the term 'won asylum' as some people use on these forums-you are really loosing a lot not winning). So at some point in 200x (Yeah you waited so many years) you finally got your GC. So now what? In reallity you can go back to CoP with no problem at all, the war is over. Will US cancel your PR status? Over the years you established the life here, bought a house, have a job, finished the school....and so now they tell you to go back because the circumstances changed?! I do not think that this country's government will add to your misery, you got your share of suffering already.

Just my opinion....

samird said:
Just a little comment on change in circumstances....let's just think about Bosnia as an example... Say you were an F1 student while the war started and you do not want/cannot go back since your home is destroyed and family killed/fled. So you applied for asylum and easily were approved (I do not want to use the term 'won asylum' as some people use on these forums-you are really loosing a lot not winning). So at some point in 200x (Yeah you waited so many years) you finally got your GC. So now what? In reallity you can go back to CoP with no problem at all, the war is over. Will US cancel your PR status? Over the years you established the life here, bought a house, have a job, finished the school....and so now they tell you to go back because the circumstances changed?! I do not think that this country's government will add to your misery, you got your share of suffering already.

Just my opinion....

Agree 100% however this fact sheet is meant for people who are from "safe" countries and claim asylum. By safe I mean that if someone claims asylum from India, he has to prove it very good since in United Nations eyes, India, Pakistan, Nepal etc are all safe countries but IT DOES not mean you can't be persecuted. if people from those countries travel a lot to their COP, maybe USCIS will ask them more questions..

In the past asylum was meant for 3rd world countries(war struck) and obviously you would have refugees from those countries...when people started to use this system to their benefit, these fact sheets and asylee cap came into the forefront.

I doubt these genuine cases from Bosnia etc will be opened up because any dumbo could see that those people were persecuted during asylum-time.

Last edited by a moderator:
samird said:

Just my opinion....

For some reason I thought that an individual from a country that is at war qualifies more for the refugee status, and the asylee status has more to do with the individual persecution in the countries that are at peace. Or can a person from a war-stricken country apply for either?

doctorn said:
For some reason I thought that an individual from a country that is at war qualifies more for the refugee status, and the asylee status has more to do with the individual persecution in the countries that are at peace. Or can a person from a war-stricken country apply for either?

True. However refugee status is given when you are outside the country whereas asylee status is given when you are in country and claim for protection.

doctorn said:

If you happen to be in US when the war starts in your country you get approved for the asylum easily. Same if even you are outside of US but somehow have visa and get here.

As for the 'individual persecution', I guess you still should belong to certain group that is persecuted, it may be extremely hard to prove why would somebody persecute THE individual.. right?

samird said:
If you happen to be in US when the war starts in your country you get approved for the asylum easily. Same if even you are outside of US but somehow have visa and get here.

As for the 'individual persecution', I guess you still should belong to certain group that is persecuted, it may be extremely hard to prove why would somebody persecute THE individual.. right?

Yes, it is hard to prove the individual persecution. Belonging to a certain group that is persecuted in the country is more obvious and easier to check; that may be ground for polytical asylum. But there are other types of asylums, I would say, of the humanitarian category, that apply to the individuals that do not have a conflict with the the COP's system or the COP's goverment itself. If they can prove that they were persecuted in that country, and that their goverment, although not directly persecuting them, still did
protect them or has no protective system in place - then such an individual can be granted asylum.