The Eagle has landed!

akond

Registered Users (C)
I doubt if I had been this excited and anxious when I had had gone for my US VISA, but the journey that had started almost 10 years ago is finally over and I am now a proud US Citizen.

We had a simple and dignified oath ceremony at 10:00 am on 07/22 at the federal courthouse on Wisconsin Ave where 74 new citizens were naturalized. There is parking right across the street in front of the courthouse. There was another Naturalization ceremony earlier in the day so there were a lot of happy faces around. As for the process, you go through the security (which seemed stretched with so many folks coming in around the same time) and then wait to get into the ceremony room on the 3rd floor. The oath letter was checked by an USCIS officer, who validated the responses to the questions in the letter and also the Green Card and WI identification (Drivers License). We were then handed an information packet and the US flag and asked to enter the courtroom. Visitors were allowed to sit in the rear of the room and taking photographs was allowed. The Ceremony started around 11:00 and the Judge gave a nice speech welcoming everyone as new US citizens. The Naturalization Certificates were then handed and everyone was free to go. Volunteers from LWV were there to register new citizens to vote, which I did.

I wonder if there is any way to get the transcript of the Judge’s speech as it was really nice and uplifting. My Good luck to all who are still waiting, and kudos to everyone who continue to share their insight and enrich this forum.

Cheers!

I doubt if I had been this excited and anxious when I had had gone for my US VISA, but the journey that had started almost 10 years ago is finally over and I am now a proud US Citizen.

We had a simple and dignified oath ceremony at 10:00 am on 07/22 at the federal courthouse on Wisconsin Ave where 74 new citizens were naturalized. There is parking right across the street in front of the courthouse. There was another Naturalization ceremony earlier in the day so there were a lot of happy faces around. As for the process, you go through the security (which seemed stretched with so many folks coming in around the same time) and then wait to get into the ceremony room on the 3rd floor. The oath letter was checked by an USCIS officer, who validated the responses to the questions in the letter and also the Green Card and WI identification (Drivers License). We were then handed an information packet and the US flag and asked to enter the courtroom. Visitors were allowed to sit in the rear of the room and taking photographs was allowed. The Ceremony started around 11:00 and the Judge gave a nice speech welcoming everyone as new US citizens. The Naturalization Certificates were then handed and everyone was free to go. Volunteers from LWV were there to register new citizens to vote, which I did.

I wonder if there is any way to get the transcript of the Judge’s speech as it was really nice and uplifting. My Good luck to all who are still waiting, and kudos to everyone who continue to share their insight and enrich this forum.

Cheers!

Congrats and Good Luck!

Cheers!

Sounds like you had a blast, congratulations! Yes, it would be nice to read a transcript of the Judge's speech.

I wish you the best.

Cheers!
Congratulations and many best wishes- It must a big day for you and your family after 10 years to efforts. Congrats again on becoming a USC.

04/07/2009: Received by TSC
04/07/2009: Priority Date
04/15/2009: Notice Date
05/08/2009: Fingerprint Notice
05/15/2009: FP taken
05/30/2009: Interview letter
07/17/2009: Interview Date - Passed
08/19/2009: Oath scheduled

Congratulations.

As for the judge's speech transcript, I'm sure it went along the lines of several Hollywood screenplays (like the Patriot). Check those out.

Thanks folks! I did enjoy the moment and it does feel great. We all get caught up in the details of the process that sometimes we fail to see the graciousness of becoming a US citizen.

I had my share of waiting for the “next-big-thing” during these 10 years, but now it makes you think that you do have a stake in the future of the country and communities you live. I guess that’s why the Judge’s call to be involved in your communities had stuck a personal chord.